Question about passports for '06

Teneene

Is Bahamas considered part of the Caribbean? I was wondering do we have to get a Passport for a Bahamas cruise or not. The cruise is not till next year, but if you don't have to get one then it saves money.

Thanks for all your help!!

I would say yes, if you plan to ever cruise again you will need one either way. The passport would be good until 2015. Less than $10 a year.

I have traveled with a passport for years. It just made more sense to me, in case I ran into any problems off of USA soil.

To perhaps save you a few $$$$, you can apply at the main post office in your town/city. You DO NOT need to go through an outside agency and pay their fee. Also, if you are a member of AAA and have their delux coverage, you can get the passport photos for FREE.

If you have an old passport, take it with you, there is a reduced fee for the new one.

When I went to renew my auto drivers license recently (three months ago), they asked if I had a pasport and to provide the number for the drivers license also.

Is Bahamas considered part of the Caribbean? I was wondering do we have to get a Passport for a Bahamas cruise or not. The cruise is not till next year, but if you don't have to get one then it saves money.

You will need a passport for that Bahamas cruise next year.

Joe, my point was that I told everyone in our group who didn't have their passports to get them because I think it is a bad idea to leave the country without one. Come to find out, my TA went behind me and told everyone not to worry about getting a passport.

So now you go behind the TA's back and tell everyone in the group that you will be booking with someone else next time..or switch the booking this time(?).

Joe, my point was that I told everyone in our group who didn't have their passports to get them because I think it is a bad idea to leave the country without one. Come to find out, my TA went behind me and told everyone not to worry about getting a passport.

But if you are cruising this year, your TA told them what was required. Just because you told your people that you wouldn't travel without one doesn't mean the TA went behind your back.

If your TA told them that they absolutely, positively had to obtain passports for their cruise this year and after they paid the money for them found out that they didn't need to spend the money at that time, don't you think they would be real upset with your TA? Some of them might decide to sue the TA for false information causing them to spend money that they could have spent on something else.

Your TA gave them facts, you gave them your opinion. I think your TA was within their rights.

Thanks Joe,

That information is appreciated. State Department wouldn't give me that info when I emailed them. They referred me to a government office in Nassau.

I'm just curious about how that works for small children (age 5 and under) including babies. Obviously any photo taken of them especially a baby under 1 year is going to change tremendously.

I thought I remember reading a long time ago about family passports. Is this no longer an option?

I'm just curious about how that works for small children (age 5 and under) including babies. Obviously any photo taken of them especially a baby under 1 year is going to change tremendously.

For those 15 and under the passports are only valid for 5 years.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/faq/faq_1741.html#valid

I thought I remember reading a long time ago about family passports. Is this no longer an option?

For any Canadian's inquiring passports are only good for 5 yrs whether a child or an adult..

like we did. We found out that we won't be able to even return from Canada without one in the near future. It's also a comfort to know that we won't be scrambling to find a way back home in case we're stuck in one of the foreign port cities due to an emergency or because we missed our ship. I guess it's a paperwork nightmare to be caught without a passport in a foreign country and very costly I might add. We took the plunge the end of May and it only took us 3 weeks to get our passports. Do it early before the big "rush.":)

But if you are cruising this year, your TA told them what was required. Just because you told your people that you wouldn't travel without one doesn't mean the TA went behind your back.

If your TA told them that they absolutely, positively had to obtain passports for their cruise this year and after they paid the money for them found out that they didn't need to spend the money at that time, don't you think they would be real upset with your TA? Some of them might decide to sue the TA for false information causing them to spend money that they could have spent on something else.

Your TA gave them facts, you gave them your opinion. I think your TA was within their rights.

They are cruising in Jan '06 when passports will be required. The TA gave them bad info. Period. Switch TAs.

I wanted to ask about a question on the passport. My friends are going on a cruise with us and one does not know where his parents were born or the dates of birth. He was young when they passed. What do you put on the application? Also, no relatives alive to ask these questions.

Thanks for your help

Joe, the same group is going to the British Virgin Islands for a wedding in a couple months and have to have them anyway. My point for everyone to get a passport (my stepkids were just renewals) is so we wouldn't be under time constraints like we are now.

I asked my carnival TA about the passports and he said that carnival doesn't feel that they will be able to enforce the passport rule for several years. he said for us to hold off on getting them. hum...

I wanted to ask about a question on the passport. My friends are going on a cruise with us and one does not know where his parents were born or the dates of birth. He was young when they passed. What do you put on the application? Also, no relatives alive to ask these questions.

Thanks for your help

I don't have an answer for you but I would suggest that he contact his local passport agency (probably the post office) and ask them. I'm sure they have dealt with similar problems like this before.

I asked my carnival TA about the passports and he said that carnival doesn't feel that they will be able to enforce the passport rule for several years. he said for us to hold off on getting them. hum...
Maybe ask them to fax/mail you that statement with their name attached.

I do believe that there will be an extension period from Dec 31. I would not be willing to be the ranch (or cruise) on it.

If you cruise annually you will still need one eventually. If there is a 2 year extension and you get one now you will have lost $20 per person. If there is no extension and you don't have one........well how much is the cruise worth?

Charlie

Applied for my first passport in the '69 to fly to W. Berlin where my DH (98Charlie) was stationed. Lived inside the Berlin Wall for 2 years where every American dependant and ALL European nationals carried their passports for identity. That was just a part of life andmy first awakening to reality.

Never traveled outside this country without a passport since those days and when in port cities, both DH & I have our passports with us, not locked up in cabin's safe.

Dianne,

I just went to Berlin and one time I didn't carry my passport with me and felt so uncomfortable without it that I never left the hostel without it again! The guys in our group got asked for their passports twice on VE Day because the police were checking identities/nationalities in areas where there were riots and parades. I really don't see why anyone would want to go to another country without a passport!

Thanks for your help

I don't remember filling this out on my application but it's entirely possible that it was there. Does he know of any relatives/old friends that would know? Does he have copies of their obituaries?

I don't remember filling this out on my application but it's entirely possible that it was there. Does he know of any relatives/old friends that would know? Does he have copies of their obituaries?

It's there (parents birthdates). I remember because I filled my husbands application out for him and had to call his dad for their birth dates since my husband didn't know (I don't think he even knows my birthday).:rolleyes:

I really cannot believe a TA would suggest holding off getting a passport when legislation for such a step is already underway...... If he / she really said that GET A NEW TA because this one is dangerous!!! He / She could get you into lots of trouble out side the US.

Carnival is not the one that will be enforcing the passport rules. The regulations say that you will need a passport to return to the US. Checking passports will be (and already are) under the enforcement of the US Immigrations Department.

Carnival will have to and has always had to check ID's prior to boarding the ship. Looking at passports that are all the same will be easier than checking birth certificates from thousands of jusrisdictions that may all be different.

Archived