smoking on river boats

lily1234

My hubby and I have booked our first cruise on viking for next fall. I hope that they are non smoking!! Our fav. cruise ship Celebrity has done this so I hope the longships have. Are they?? Lily1234

I have traveled on Viking 4 times, and smoking is only allowed in outside designated areas (usually on the top deck or just outside the main door. You will see the ash trays, so you can definitely avoid the areas with no problem. I am an ex smoker and stay clear of the areas as well. Enjoy your cruise.

Smoking in enclosed spaces is against the law in much of Europe. That includes hotel rooms and, I assume, RB cabins and covered public areas.

There are a few exceptions where smoking rooms are permitted but my advice would be to only smoke in open spaces, and where you see locals smoking. In the UK, for example, many pubs have a covered area outside (with no walls) where smoking is allowed.

Although you are not likely to be thrown in jail if you transgress, you will certainly be reminded of the law in no uncertain terms by other members of the public.

Interesting discussion topic. My wife is a lifelong non-smoker, and has always found cigarette smoke very bothersome. But when she first visited Paris about 15 years ago, she was so enchanted by the city that the smoke she encountered in some restaurants didn't bother her in the least. She regarded it as part of the "charm" of the place.

When we returned a couple years ago, the restaurants had of course gone completely smoke-free. She nostalgically remembered her earlier visit and admitted the lack of smoke bothered her. Go figure!

Interesting discussion topic. My wife is a lifelong non-smoker, and has always found cigarette smoke very bothersome. But when she first visited Paris about 15 years ago, she was so enchanted by the city that the smoke she encountered in some restaurants didn't bother her in the least. She regarded it as part of the "charm" of the place.

When we returned a couple years ago, the restaurants had of course gone completely smoke-free. She nostalgically remembered her earlier visit and admitted the lack of smoke bothered her. Go figure!

That's interesting. I'm a lifelong non-smoker, too; however, I can honestly say that no life experience was ever enhanced by the stench of cigarette smoke. :rolleyes: Of all the changes I've seen during my life (I'm a +60 myself) the move towards a smoke-free environment is one I appreciate.

Although you are not likely to be thrown in jail if you transgress, you will certainly be reminded of the law in no uncertain terms by other members of the public.

Not sure about our friends in mainland Europe but in the U.K offenders can get a hefty fine even for lighting up in a shop doorway or bus shelter.

Archived