Aft-corner ocean view

igraf

I have an unusual room assignment: an aft-corner room on the Main deck of the Volendam. Any comments regarding this stateroom location? Noise? It appears to be above a crew deck area and below the aft portion of the exterior promenade.

igraf

Nobody has had an ocean-view stateroom at the back of a HAL ship? Even one in the near proximity?

I am asking because HAL is offering a veranda upgrade at a decent price. Since the weather will be cool to cold, we would only pay for the upgrade if there was a problem with our current room location.

igraf

I have an unusual room assignment: an aft-corner room on the Main deck of the Volendam. Any comments regarding this stateroom location? Noise? It appears to be above a crew deck area and below the aft portion of the exterior promenade.

igraf

Thank you! Just what I was hoping to hear.

igraf

We have not had the exact cabin location, but have been in an ocean view cabin one or two doors down from the cabin you are asking about. Once on the Amsterdam and once on the Zaandam. Both times we were very happy.

igraf - we too sailed in an oceanview near the aft of the Main Deck (two cabins away) on the Amsterdam. It was perfect. Loved walking out to the little aft deck, and then up just one flight to the LP. Very quiet area, never had problems with noise - even when docking in the early morning hours in Alaska. In fact, I encouraged friends of ours to book one of those oceanviews on the aft of the Main deck, that overlooks the little "secret deck" there for our May 18th 2014 14 day Alaska sailing on the Amsterdam. Would have booked it myself if we hadn't already snagged our favorite "secret" cabin on the aft of the Navigation deck;)!

We had one two cabins away from the last cabin. My husband loved walking out the door right there to look out at the water. It was quiet and not bumby at all. We were also on the main floor. We may book there again.

Thanks again for the replies. Looks like we did well even though the category grade is only a "G". I think that this is because the window is smaller than others.

We joke that we finally got an aft wrap-around room!

igraf

• 3 weeks later...

*** UPDATE ***

Attached is an exterior photo of one of the aft-corner oceanview staterooms in question. I am referring to the highest deck in the dark blue section of the ship hull.

The ocean view is through a pair of portholes that are recessed deeply into the hull of the ship, thus limiting the width of the ocean view. One can see the lower mini-aft deck below the regular outside promenade deck, and there is an outside staircase allowing for quick access up to the outside promenade deck. One might think of the lower aft deck as an unattached balcony.

I noticed noisy machinery behind the bulkhead of the lower aft deck, though I do not know how much noise makes it way into the stateroom. Also, take notice of the compressed gas cylinders being stored next to the corner room (same on both sides).

At the last minute HAL offered us an upgrade to a Vista verandah stateroom at a price that we could not refuse, so we never stayed in this particular corner aft ocean view stateroom.

igraf

450082062_aftcorner.jpg.01ddd83e3f8dedbb89f31e2f92b0a6fe.jpg

We haven't sailed on the Volendam, but did sail on an aft OV cabin on the Ryndam. The "crew area" you referred to was right next to our cabin (below your aft cabin) is part of the mooring deck and we found it very noisy in the morning when we were docking. It actually woke us up very early on the first port day. After that we we more prepared for it, but there was always noise form mooring lines etc when we docked.

Enjoy your verenda!

Archived