Locking luggage?

mcbor

Do I lock my luggage when I get to the pier? What about when it is time to leave the ship? I read some where about putting plastic things on the bags when they are out in the hall the last night of the cruise but I can't find where I read that. Does customs open your bags?

I use plastic cable ties for flying. I put padlocks on before I go to the pier and when I disembark. I change the padlocks back to cable ties at the airport.

Some people just use plastic cable ties for everything.

Im the odd ball in all my years of traveling I have never locked my luggage or had anything come up missing. If someone wants to get in your softsided bag its very easy for them to just slice a hole down the side. I dont pack anything in my checked luggage that I could live without.

If you want to lock, cable ties are a nice option. Just remember to pack nail clippers so you can cut the ties.

Im the odd ball in all my years of traveling I have never locked my luggage or had anything come up missing. If someone wants to get in your softsided bag its very easy for them to just slice a hole down the side. I dont pack anything in my checked luggage that I could live without.

If you want to lock, cable ties are a nice option. Just remember to pack nail clippers so you can cut the ties.

and make sure you dont pack them IN the suitcase, put them on an outside pocket, lol

No rules against locking luggage for embarkation or debarkation.

I now have a hardside suitcase with TSA a TSA approved lock so I lock it all the time form everything. Also have a strap I can wrap around the suitcase with another TSA approved lock for those times when I have to sit on the suitcase to get it to shut.

I lock to keep curious hands out as well as to keep my stuff from debarking itself accidently.

We bought the cable ties from Wal-Mart, $1.98 for 2 dozen, I think. We put them on our suitcases before we left and put a small pair of scissors in the outside pocket of one of the checked bags. When we got our luggage on the ship, we cut off the tags. When we opened the bags, one had the letter from the TSA saying they had searched it. They had replaced the cable tie. On the way back, same procedure, no search this time.

The ties came in handy for tieing together other things, to make space, like our powerstrip, etc.

Oh, and someone had said that the TSA used white ties. They replaced my neon one with another neon one.

I think the cable ties are better because I've had TSA cut off TSA locks when they are busy! Ties are much cheaper than replacing locks!

JMHO

June

Do I lock my luggage when I get to the pier?

Yes, Carnival advises that you lock your luggage prior to handing it over to the porters at the pier. These guys are not Carnival employees, but are employed by the port authority. (Standard tip is $1-2 per piece of luggage.) Also lock them before leaving in the hall the last night of the cruise.

Archived