Does this sound like Norwegian to you?

fiedav

The reason I love NCL is because it is freestyle and you can do what you want when you want or do nothing at all

There are activities all day and you and your wife can participate or not. No one forces you to do anything.

You know, NCL boards say this ALL the time and I'm wondering- what cruise line forces you to do anything?

Yes, I know some cruiselines still have set dining (though most now have an optional anytime dining) or have dress codes- but even those lines have alternatives like a buffet. Maybe the most high end luxury lines enforce an 'evening dress code' in all public areas- but are there ANY mass market line that really tells passengers what to do? To me, the idea is absurd.

Really with so many show and dining options on the newest ships it seems like NCL is becoming LESS freestyle- yes, you still pick what you want to do and when you want to do it, but you have to decide well in advance of the cruise to get all your reservations. You aren't "free" to just do what you want, when you want to do it, on a whim.

The only thing I can add is some info regarding provisions for handicapped folks, particularly those in wheelchairs. I'm not sure about the newer ships but couple of years ago we were on a Royal trip and befriended a couple that required wheelchairs.

They told us that Royal was the only (major)line that offered rooms with enough space around the beds for a wheelchair to pass. It may be a terrible inconvenience if you were in tight quarters. anyway, if its important, you may want to check with the line directly.

As for the friends advice, nothing could be further away from the truth. Book it and enjoy.

My husband was very-anti cruise once upon a time: They are like giant floating petri dishes, everyone gets sick, they catch on fire, you're stuck in the middle of the ocean with nothing to do, etc. Then I convinced him we should take my dad on a cruise for his 60th birthday. Of my party of four I was the only one who had cruised before and knew what to expect, and by the time we had to get off nobody wanted to leave! Lots of misconceptions out there, but the only way to know for sure if you'd like it yourself is to try it. Opinions of other people, especially ones who've never cruised personally, aren't worth much in the big scheme of things.

Yup, my experience exactly. My b-i-l (who had been in the Navy in the 60's for gosh sakes) was incredibly reluctant to try cruising, and had my sister convinced we would feel claustrophic and trapped out at sea with nothing to do. Finally convinced them 15 years ago, for my 40th birthday, to cruise along with me, another sister and Mom. I was the only one who had cruised before. That first cruise made converts of them all -- its now our absolutely favorite form of family vacation.

And incidentally, NONE of us are partiers. In fact, we're usually in bed in our cabins by 11. We don't disco, and we're among those who actually LIKE hanging out on our balconies reading a book and in the cabin taking a nap (as opposed to those who say the cabin doesn't matter because you're never there). In other words, we take quiet peaceful cruises -- and have done so on RCCL, NCL, Celebrity, Princess and -- yes -- Carnival.

On any given cruise ship there are people having hundreds of completely different vacations, running the gamut from bacchanalia to sedate peace and quiet. You definitely will find your own niche; all you have to do is get on board.

The only thing I can add is some info regarding provisions for handicapped folks, particularly those in wheelchairs. I'm not sure about the newer ships but couple of years ago we were on a Royal trip and befriended a couple that required wheelchairs.

They told us that Royal was the only (major)line that offered rooms with enough space around the beds for a wheelchair to pass. It may be a terrible inconvenience if you were in tight quarters. anyway, if its important, you may want to check with the line directly.

As for the friends advice, nothing could be further away from the truth. Book it and enjoy.

While I have no first hand experience, I've been on a couple of cruises where the itineraries seemed to attract an older group of passengers, many using scooters and wheelchairs. Maybe someone who's been in an accessible cabin can comment. If you're able to convince your wife to cruise you'll want to be confident your wheelchair won't be an issue.

I want to take my first cruise on the Dawn from Boston to Bermuda next year, and I want my wife to come.

I am disabled (in a powered wheelchair) and my wife is a big woman who has trouble walking more than a hundred yards.

She's ambivalent about going (she likes peace and quiet) and e-mailed a friend about this. Her friend replied:

"Do not go on a cruise. Make him go with someone else or not go at all. The only people I know who have enjoyed them are very outgoing and like to dance and go into each other's rooms and drink. G------ from work loves them. Imagine being trapped on a ship with her and her kind. On the other hand, someone I really like said it wasn't fun at all to be on a cruise. The workers were always insisting on over feeding her and pressuring her have fun. Do not give in, for Pete's sake. I mean, go if you want to, but don't let R----- brow beat you."

I don't ever recall reading about people's experience like this. I could understand that there are groups of people on any cruise who want to behave like this, but I'm sure they can be easily avoided. My wife would like to go and lie in the sun, read novels, and have a glass or two of wine a day. She's not that social.

We are both in our late 60s and don't look like anyone's idea of a good time. I have all the disabled stuff arranged. Can I take it that her friend's opinion doesn't have any real relevance to Norwegian cruising?

based on your descriptions and your mobility issues if you do cruise you will need a handicapped cabin so book your cruise asap and enjoy

MY first thought when reading that was this friend of hers sounds like a shrew.

Seriously....

I would hope your wife doesn't ask a lot of advice from this person....

If your wife is looking for an excuse not to go, then this would definitely be the one she was searching for. I am sorry that she doesn't want to even try to cruise with you, especially if it's something you'd like to do. That's pretty sad....the saddest thing is she has NO clue what she's missing.

Cruising (at least the ones I have taken) vary all the time...depending on what I want on that cruise. I am sure this goes for everyone else as well. basically you can 'form' your own cruise and partying NEVER has to be included if that is not appealing to you.

The peace and serenity you can have being on a ship on the sea is so amazing and it makes me smh to think that this friend of your wife's may talk her out of even trying it for herself. I know you like this friend, but she is NOT looking out for your wife's best interest here as you seem to think.

She is jealous, plain and simple. Just the comment she made about the coworker, 'her and her kind' is appalling....and to accuse you of brow-beating your wife just because you want to try to talk her into it???????

This 'friend' sounds like NO friend I'd want to have for goodness sake.

like-button.png

From a previous post:

Do that... you'll have an awesome time. And then you can tell your underminer that she's missing out on one of the most awesome experiences there is: Living life to its fullest!

NOOOOOOOOO! If all these wonderful folks have convinced you you'll have a fabulous time doing what YOU want to do when YOU want to do it, please go and relax your little fannies off. But DON'T tell your friend about your wonderful vacation - she doesn't sound like someone any of us would enjoy sailing with. :-) Seriously, I've sailed by myself and done NOTHING but spa treatments, traveled with others and done excursions at every port, and then had vacations that were a lovely combination of both. Others have spoken the basic truth of EVERY cruise .... It IS what YOU make it. Norwegian is the perfect cruise line for you.

Savoy! Since you're a lot like my husband and myself, please... Can you suggest the best places on the Dawn to do this. To sit and have quiet conversations, read a book, etc. We could be quite comfortable in our room, if necessary, but we've been looking for places aboard Dawn to do this out of the room as well.

Thanks much in advance! ;)

DML

Hi DMLyons! The library on the Dawn is a quiet place with comfortable chairs and couches. There are window seats inside along the 7th deck which can be nice to sit in to talk, and although I didn't read there myself, I saw many people doing so. Outside you can find loungers toward the bow of the ship where the music from the pool isn't too intrusive. I spent many hours reading up there. It's great as long as it isn't too windy. Another possibility would be the Moderno space during the day when it's not being used as a restaurant. You could sit there and read, with lovely views of the ocean going by. Wish I was there right now! Have a great trip!

I want to take my first cruise on the Dawn from Boston to Bermuda next year, and I want my wife to come.

I am disabled (in a powered wheelchair) and my wife is a big woman who has trouble walking more than a hundred yards.

She's ambivalent about going (she likes peace and quiet) and e-mailed a friend about this. Her friend replied:

"Do not go on a cruise. Make him go with someone else or not go at all. The only people I know who have enjoyed them are very outgoing and like to dance and go into each other's rooms and drink. G------ from work loves them. Imagine being trapped on a ship with her and her kind. On the other hand, someone I really like said it wasn't fun at all to be on a cruise. The workers were always insisting on over feeding her and pressuring her have fun. Do not give in, for Pete's sake. I mean, go if you want to, but don't let R----- brow beat you."

I don't ever recall reading about people's experience like this. I could understand that there are groups of people on any cruise who want to behave like this, but I'm sure they can be easily avoided. My wife would like to go and lie in the sun, read novels, and have a glass or two of wine a day. She's not that social.

We are both in our late 60s and don't look like anyone's idea of a good time. I have all the disabled stuff arranged. Can I take it that her friend's opinion doesn't have any real relevance to Norwegian cruising?

I used to be in power wheelchair and now I can only walk short using a walking stick. AND ..... I adore cruising! I lay or sit on loungers, read books on my kindle, sit in hot tubs, go on handicapped friendly shore excursions and in general have a great time. I hope you both & have a great time!

Hi DMLyons! The library on the Dawn is a quiet place with comfortable chairs and couches. There are window seats inside along the 7th deck which can be nice to sit in to talk, and although I didn't read there myself, I saw many people doing so. Outside you can find loungers toward the bow of the ship where the music from the pool isn't too intrusive. I spent many hours reading up there. It's great as long as it isn't too windy. Another possibility would be the Moderno space during the day when it's not being used as a restaurant. You could sit there and read, with lovely views of the ocean going by. Wish I was there right now! Have a great trip!

I think you hit almost all of the places I was going to mention except for the loungers on the Promenade Deck. Some are in the shade, which I enjoy as well. I often read on the 7th deck window seats and really enjoyed that.

NCL does have handicapped rooms, so request one of those.

Enjoy!

Yup, my experience exactly. My b-i-l (who had been in the Navy in the 60's for gosh sakes) was incredibly reluctant to try cruising, and had my sister convinced we would feel claustrophic and trapped out at sea with nothing to do.

LOL! My husband was Navy as well. In fact, he was on submarines, where there is no room. We were watching a video of the crew quarters on NCL, and he was surprised that people found those cramped. By comparison to berthing aboard a submarine, they have a TON of space in the crew area of a cruise ship...even a bathroom that is shared by only two people...or four on some lines, I've heard.

But he's never had qualms about us cruising. In fact, he booked our first cruise...eons ago on Carnival, while he was still in the Navy. The only problem we've ever had while cruising was when the engines turned off in the middle of the night. He snapped awake, because losing engines or circulation aboard the sub meant he had to go fix something. :rolleyes:

DML

• 2 months later...

I went on my first cruise at 31. We were celebrating my best friend's 30th birthday and her hubby paid for 4 of us to go. Although I can be outgoing and did enjoy the dance club every night... in the afternoons I sat by the pool and read. I took naps. I got a massage or just sat in the hot tub and relaxed. I had 2 young children at home and what I really wanted was peace and quiet and relaxation. I found it. But I also did enjoy the nighttime out dancing with my friends. So honestly, your cruise is what YOU want it to be and what you choose to make it. I never had ANY pressure from anyone to do anything!

Hubby and I are very introverted, aren't partiers, and to top it off natural red heads who don't spend a lot of time in the sun. We love cruising. There is so much to do on the ship and you get a chance to see new places.

Find some dailies and it'll give you an idea of things to do on board. If you see things that'll keep you occupied show your wife. And remember it's your (and hopefully your wife's) vacation, don't let someone else ruin it before it even might happen.

First off I do hope you get to take a cruise.

Check out the Disabled Cruise Travel board here to research and get some answers about cruising with mobility issues.

When I read the original post it really sounded like that would be the last person I would ask for advice. Definitely a bitter individual.

Good Luck,

Charlie

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I've been booked in a HA inside stateroom in the past when traveling with a friend in a scooter. There was plenty of room to navigate her scooter, even up to the edge of the bed.

While everything that "friend" wrote is incorrect, I will have to say the bar staff at the pool area will ask multiple times if youd like an alcoholic beverage.

Nobody has ever offered me food or entertainment. I chose and decided what I wanted to eat and participate in!

Without knowing you, I can only say odds are extremely good that you will have a great time!

Archived