Any Ideas?

Liverpoollovely

Hi Everyone

I am looking for ideas. Places, suggestions, any possible excursions you can recommend for me and my families future cruise on the Carnival Glory. I have looked on carnival’s website and the tours did not seem to fit in with all family members needs.

I cannot snorkel I get panic attacks and another family member cannot swim. So snorkel excursions are pretty much redundant for our lil group.

We have an elderly family member who is not so good at walking long distances, their feet swell up due to medication they take, although they can do small amounts of walking permitted there are stops, they are after all 73 :)

So what would you all suggest for excursions? Any companies you recommend or have done reviews on please share :) we will be cruising in November.

For sure I would rec. Victor Bodden's company. You can hire a driver who will take you about for the entire day for a flat rate. Or you can join one of his tours which are described on the web page. This will be a good way to see the island. And both choices will save you money...big time from the ship excursions.

Too know that you will be arriving at Mahagony Bay. That is a private beach area that many just use as a beach break day and not leave the area. But since you aren't into the water scene, a tour would be better.

The tour companies recommended are very good but if you need flexibility with the elderly you can get a tour right off the pier. As you exit the facility there will be a parking lot full of drivers looking for your business.

We paid 25.00 p/p for a island tour and we went shopping, sightseeing, beach, and a stop for lunch. Do some research and you can plan your own tour.

Some in your party may want to stay right in the pier area. http://www.mahoganybaycc.com/port-information.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Roatan is a beautiful island that should not be missid. I know most people recommend outside tour companys to see the island. I myself am going to Roatan for the 4th time in November and will be docking at Mohagany bay which I think is a really nice port...anyway, my mom has difficulty breathing and has to walk slow as the walk from the dock up a slight incline to the main shop/port area is fairly lengthy.

Having said that, after you make it up the hill it is a little ways to the taxi stand which is inside the gate....if you take an outside excursion, they do not let those people inside the gate....you have to walk up a really good size hill to get over to the private excursions area.

I have heard that you can hire a taxi at the port to take you up over the hill to meet your excursion taxi/cab/bus whatever....I have booked Victor Bodden for our group and this is what his email says (I have read this on CC as well)

Mahogany Bay Cruise Center (Carnival Dream): As you exit your ship, customers on Local Independent Tours will be required by Carnival Corporation to exit their dock area through the gates and walk over the hill to the main road. Once outside the gates and over the hill, look for our representatives holding VICTOR BODDEN signs. One of our representatives will greet you, locate your name on our list and introduce you to your guide for the day. At the end of your tour day, we ARE able to drop you off to the entrance of the dock...so you will only have to do this long walk one-way, when you first arrive. You can view the hill behind the red-roofed building here http://www.boddentours.com/images/mahoganybayhill.jpg and print a map from the Mahogany Bay ship docks to our location here http://boddentours.com/images/maptobodden.gif

++ As of December 1, 2010, the Port Manager of the Mahogany Bay Cruise Center has negotiated with the on-site Taxi Association to provide transportation, if required, to the Independent Tours meeting area over the hill. The negotiated flat-rate for this taxi service is $2 per person. Please see the Taxi Dispatcher (in the Green Mahogany Bay shirt) to arrange for your group to utilize this service -- tell them that you need transport to Victor Bodden Tours on the other side of the hill. Or, if you'd rather, you can still walk over the hill (approximately 350 yards) to the designated area. ++

Anyway just thought you would like to know what I was told by an outside company....I don't ususally post that much but I understand the difficulty of walking could be a problem so I wanted to share(overshare:() anyway I hope you have a great cruise.:D

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the delay in replying and acknowledging all of your replies ..

CENTEX CRUISER - thank you for your suggestion I have heard great things about victor bodden tours this is something we will be definitely checking out :)

eandj - thank you! We are looking forward for this and I think we are going to book victor on all the recommendations I have received so far this one trumps everyone else's suggestions for sure

runner15km - thank you we are looking forward to customising a tour which will interest us :)

dperki1 - wow thank you so much for all your information definitely not an over share I really appreciate all your information it was very helpful for us all as a small group to plan :) we are more favouring victor Bodden tour

jaxfl - thank you for your suggestion but there is only three of us so we couldn't really split up hehe

Archived