Seattle departure

csk

we are on a cruise that is round trip from Seattle, a friend is considering going but does not have a passport, the Princess web site tells that you can use a birth cert. and state issued id, how does this work, would she not be able to get off in Victoria, or go to the Yukon in Skagway.

Has anyone done this and it worked out. she really wants to go but does not have enough

time to get a passport.

we are on a cruise that is round trip from Seattle, a friend is considering going but does not have a passport, the Princess web site tells that you can use a birth cert. and state issued id, how does this work, would she not be able to get off in Victoria, or go to the Yukon in Skagway.

Has anyone done this and it worked out. she really wants to go but does not have enough

time to get a passport.

A government issued birth certificate is allowed on a "closed loop" cruise from an american port to the same port. As for the Yukon, NO, unless things have changed in the last two years, we were told that a passport was needed to take the train past the border. We took the shorter train that actually stops a short ways past the border, but no one was allowed off. I can't answer for Victoria but I don't remember having to show a passport to get off the ship.

The friend won't be able to enter Canada without passport or new NEXUS card.

Entry into Canada: Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens.

Children under 16 need only present proof of U.S. citizenship.

The Canadian Customs people are a lot more lienient with tourist's ID but US Customs can be more of a challenge. I would think it may be best not to get off while in Canadian territory. A quick call to your local Canadian consulate may help.

She will be able to get off in Victoria. It is part of a closed-loop cruise, so this is allowed. Just like all those closed-loop Caribbean cruises where most people use only birth certificate and drivers license and still get off in foreign countries in the Caribbean. A passport is only needed if for some reason you need to fly back from Canada.

The excursions from Skagway that go into the Yukon do typically require a passport. All excursions involving the train except the round trip train require a passport because it is easier for the border patrol folks to just walk through the train and check them quickly. If you were to rent a car and drive to the Yukon, you might be able to get away with drivers license and birth certificate. Don't quote me on that one.

She will be able to get off in Victoria. It is part of a closed-loop cruise, so this is allowed. Just like all those closed-loop Caribbean cruises where most people use only birth certificate and drivers license and still get off in foreign countries in the Caribbean. A passport is only needed if for some reason you need to fly back from Canada.

The excursions from Skagway that go into the Yukon do typically require a passport. All excursions involving the train except the round trip train require a passport because it is easier for the border patrol folks to just walk through the train and check them quickly. If you were to rent a car and drive to the Yukon, you might be able to get away with drivers license and birth certificate. Don't quote me on that one.

Both of your points confirm what I remember from past cruises. I was sure about the train, but a little iffy about Victoria. In cases like this, I hate to give advice unless I'm sure.

time to get a passport.

Don't quote me on this, but I think you can get an expedited passport in two days. My neice needed one a couple of years ago and she got it in just a few days. Not sure what the cost was, however, it could be worth it to not have any questions about where you can tour while on the cruise. You might want to check it out and see. Happy cruising to Alaska!

Archived