UBP a question about purchasing

nomad098

Hi all

I have looked through the theads and cannot find the answer so I hope someone can

help as I have read a disturbing review and I am hoping the man who posted had it

wrong.

We are going on our first cruise with NCL on the EPIC and plan on prepaying the

service charge.

We are looking to open a cash account when we board and then purchase the UBP

however a reviewer has said that if you do this you still have to pay for all your drinks

as you get them and at the end the charges are removed this would mean that you

would need at least double the cost of the package in your account.

He stated that NCL had stopped serving him because he did not have enough money

in his account even though he had paid for the UBP.

heres a link to the review http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=219646

I understand where the extra 25% comes from in the review this is made up from the

15% gratuity and the 10% Spanish tax

We are hoping to avoid the Spanish tax by pre paying but not sure if this is possible

If the review is accurate it would mean you pay for your drinks twice and then recieve

a refund for what you actually drank

It just seems a strange way to do this.

Anyone know how this works with a cash account

Damon and Family

You don't pay for all your drinks. It appears that way as when you look at the onboard account on iconcierge or TV it shows them all. But when I went to reception and got a printed statement it was just the package price with the gratuities pre-added. $394 for the week.

Not sure if you can get around the Spanish sales tax though..

You don't pay for all your drinks. It appears that way as when you look at the onboard account on iconcierge or TV it shows them all. But when I went to reception and got a printed statement it was just the package price with the gratuities pre-added. $394 for the week.

Not sure if you can get around the Spanish sales tax though..

Thanks for the quick response, the way the review made it sound was we would have to

have a minimum of $394 x 2 = $ 788 plus Spanish tax $867 plus an almost equal

amount that would be refunded at the end of the cruise.

A member has posted that if you phone you can prepay for the UBP. I will have to phone

in the morning to find out if we can, it should avoid the Spanish tax as they do not apply

this tax to the prepayed soda package

Thanks again

Damon

Perhaps the confusion comes in what some have reported. When the drink is ordered a ticket is written, it is then cancelled out. You would see a series of transactions, for example, an $8 drink charge followed by an $8 credit.

If you purchase the UBP you will not be charged for any covered drink.

Perhaps the confusion comes in what some have reported. When the drink is ordered a ticket is written, it is then cancelled out. You would see a series of transactions, for example, an $8 drink charge followed by an $8 credit.

If you purchase the UBP you will not be charged for any covered drink.

Hi

I see what you mean about it being confusing

Just off the phone with NCL you can now pre-purchase the UBP over the phone so avoiding the 10% Spanish tax on all purchases onboard

We probably won't drink enough to cover the cost but it will be nice to try

different cocktails and wine and not worry about the bar bill at the end of the cruise.

Damon and Family

• 6 months later...

Anyone have new information on this? I too would like to establish a cash on board account( really trying to get away from credit cards and like spending control with cash). So do you have to have a large cash account along with the UBP so they don't cut you off(used cash before without UBP and excess was not refunded until about 1 month after cruise)

• 11 months later...
Thanks for the quick response, the way the review made it sound was we would have to

have a minimum of $394 x 2 = $ 788 plus Spanish tax $867 plus an almost equal

amount that would be refunded at the end of the cruise.

A member has posted that if you phone you can prepay for the UBP. I will have to phone

in the morning to find out if we can, it should avoid the Spanish tax as they do not apply

this tax to the prepayed soda package

Thanks again

Damon

Hi Nomad098,

I am trying to find out the same info that you were looking for in this post. Did you wind up using cash Onboard and re-purchasing the UBP? If so, did you have any problems described in the review? Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tee

We just returned from the BA and had the UBP. I checked nightly our TV account and it never showed any drink purchases or credits. Though it did show any extra gratuity I may have put on in a venue when I signed my ticket.

I can confirm this is the way it works now. On the Getaway and Sky it worked exactly like above. If you have the UBP you "purchase" your drink like anybody else. The gratuity is already included in the package so you just write 0.00 for any additional tip on the receipt, sign and you're set. Of course, if you want, you can leave an additional tip but that is then billed to your onboard account.

Of course if you buy a drink for someone else you are charged the full price.

Also one last thing, if you want the drink of the day in a souvenir cup, they only charge you for the cup not for the drink. At least that's what one of the bartenders on the Getaway did for me, though YMMV.

Edited by nyc2theworld
Added buying drink for someone else and souvenir cup.

We just returned from the BA and had the UBP. I checked nightly our TV account and it never showed any drink purchases or credits. Though it did show any extra gratuity I may have put on in a venue when I signed my ticket.

Did you have a cash onboard spending account or was it linked to a Credit Card? I am trying to figure out if the experience is different with a cash account.

Edited by Pattilabelle73

Thanks for your reply! I think I am going to purchase it.. I will be pre-purchasing almost everything else I could possibly want before I board anyway (UDP, Spa balcony/certificates and excursions. So worse case, I can't throw away $$ on bingo. I'll live. Lol

Edited by Pattilabelle73