Breastfeeding Mamas!

LuvWilliam

Not necessarily a useful post but I'm intrigued .

People ask if there is somewhere appropriate to nurse. I'm from the uk and here it is 'appropriate' to nurse anywhere you like.. In fact it is against the law to stop a woman bf Nig. Is this different in the states?

In Canada, we are allowed to BF anywhere anytime too. I think in some States the same rule applies but not sure what Carnival's policy is. I emailed them but apparently they have 7-10 business days to reply which might be too late for me. Appreciate hearing from any BF mom's who have cruised already and discovered ideal spots to nurse that aren't too public.

People ask if there is somewhere appropriate to nurse. I'm from the uk and here it is 'appropriate' to nurse anywhere you like.. In fact it is against the law to stop a woman bf Nig. Is this different in the states?

Most states in the US have similar laws. However, the attitude about nursing in public in the USA is not as tolerant as it should be, IMHO.

In the US, many consider it indecent and inappropriate to nurse in public. Many feel women should nurse in closed bedrooms, cars, and the like. Never in a public place.

It is ridiculous. This is also why so many here do not breastfeed, and in many circles it is considered dirty or shameful. It is truly pathetic how ignorant many are on the subject, esp since several public health crisises in the US would be dramatically helped by higher breastfeeding rates (childhood obesity, diabetes, breast cancer, stronger immune systems, and others).

In the US, many consider it indecent and inappropriate to nurse in public. Many feel women should nurse in closed bedrooms, cars, and the like. Never in a public place.

It is ridiculous. This is also why so many here do not breastfeed, and in many circles it is considered dirty or shameful. It is truly pathetic how ignorant many are on the subject, esp since several public health crisises in the US would be dramatically helped by higher breastfeeding rates (childhood obesity, diabetes, breast cancer, stronger immune systems, and others).

Very well said. I agree completely.

Until people stand up to this attitude nothing will change. In the uk there have been several well publicised revolts against such attitudes . My favourite being the woman who got thrown out of a coffee shop for breastfeeding who turned up with 50 other bfing mums the next day who had a Brest feeding sit in in the shop for the whole of the next day!

I hope you have a great vacation wherever you choose to feed you little one

Blitz xx

100% agree!!

I'm sorry but I'm just not buying the "many" explanation. I just don't believe it. I really am also having trouble with the statement "in many circles it is considered dirty or shameful". Really? What kind of people do you associate with? Who are these "circles"? I feel if you want to make broad statements such as these, you need the facts to back it up. I have never in my life ever met or known anyone who had these opinions about breastfeeding children.

I don't care if you breastfeed in public but please use discretion. I have no interest in seeing your big ol' full nipples staring at me while I'm trying to eat or relax reading my book. Some women simply undo their shirts and whip out their boobs and sit bare breasted while they get every thing lined up. Those people I have a problem with. If you normally wouldn't have your naked breast hanging out, don't do it when you are feeding your child either. These are a small minority. On the other hand, I've seen many women feed their baby in public and don't give it a second thought. Well, okay, I think baby is hungry.

For the record I did breastfeed my first child.

I teach in inner city Indianapolis. I have personally been told on several occasions that it is disgusting I breastfeed my children. "How could you let a baby suck on you. That's nasty." I was told to "Go somewhere else. No one wants to think about a baby sucking on your boob" at a BBQ. Of the 10 babies born to staff members with my youngest was born, I was the only one that nursed past 2 months old. Almost no one I know breastfeeds. I can count on 1 hand the number of co-workers that nurse their children. No one does here. WIC gives out formula for free, so why go through the hassle of breastfeeding?

Only 23% of moms in the US are still breastfeeding at 12 months of age.

Just tell them all the risks to yours and you babies health if you artificially feed. Breastfeeding is the normal way to feed and here in the UK that is protected by law.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

I'm sorry but I'm just not buying the "many" explanation. I just don't believe it. I really am also having trouble with the statement "in many circles it is considered dirty or shameful". Really? What kind of people do you associate with? Who are these "circles"? I feel if you want to make broad statements such as these, you need the facts to back it up. I have never in my life ever met or known anyone who had these opinions about breastfeeding children.

I know personally my co workers have asked me if I am still breastfeeding. This was when my son was only five months old. They told me that if I went past six months it was "gross." Two different women that I work with also called nursing past one sexual. There are many women who believe this because the media, etc makes breasts out to be for men and not babies. Obviously they are wrong but we are brainwashed into thinking that.

I love hearing about all these lucky babies getting their mothers' milk! Go mamas!!

My kids were both almost four when they weaned. My son was nursing on two cruises (at 8 months and 3 years) and it was great. We had no trouble at all!

I teach in inner city Indianapolis. I have personally been told on several occasions that it is disgusting I breastfeed my children. "How could you let a baby suck on you. That's nasty." I was told to "Go somewhere else. No one wants to think about a baby sucking on your boob" at a BBQ. Of the 10 babies born to staff members with my youngest was born, I was the only one that nursed past 2 months old. Almost no one I know breastfeeds. I can count on 1 hand the number of co-workers that nurse their children. No one does here. WIC gives out formula for free, so why go through the hassle of breastfeeding?

Only 23% of moms in the US are still breastfeeding at 12 months of age.

I have experienced similar attitudes, unfortunately. I never let it bother me, but there are many Moms who have been programmed to feel negatively towards breastfeeding. I am one of the lucky 23%. My kids are 18,16, and 6 and were all BF past one. BTW, I think that 23% may be overestimating the numbers.

I see this thread is a little old, but since it's still active and the OP has yet to cruise, I figured I would toss in my experience. We took our son on a two week cruise in Europe when he was 6.5 months and I brought pumped milk on the airplane from the States. Security in America took a bit longer - they had three different people inspect my pump to be sure I wasn't concealing anything in it, and they took one of the bottles of milk and put the whole thing (lid still on) in a machine to 'run a test on it.' No objection to the quantity. (I had 20 ounces and two ice packs.)

I was NOT made to discard any milk when we arrived in Copenhagen. I'm not denying that is what a previous poster may have been told, but I'm pretty sure whoever did say that was uninformed. I have no idea how that sort of thing would be controlled. No one knew I had it except for security in America, and short of making me wear a sign that says 'I am bringing expressed breast milk into your country,' how would anyone at the destination airport know I had it? I know the US has dogs that sniff for produce...perhaps some countries have ones that sniff for milk, but I have never heard of such a thing.

Anyway, no problem bringing it on the ship, and I requested and received a medical refrigerator from the special needs department, which kept the milk adequately cold.

Returning to the States, I declared the milk to security at the Copenhagen airport, and they didn't bat an eye. Told me that was not a problem and to have a nice flight. No inspection of the milk or the pump.

Our son did so well with international travel that we are taking him on another cruise shortly after his first birthday in November, and I will not hesitate to bring pumped milk again unless he has weaned himself by then. Not a big deal at all. :)

• 2 weeks later...

A one-year-old can eat other foods besides milk in a 3-4 hour period while you're out. My son takes zero bottles, but by one year could drink water from a sippie and eat plenty of real food, so being gone for up to even 5 hours was just no big deal. I wouldn't bother with pumping or transporting breastmilk if your breaks are going to be less than 4 hours long.

PLus, you're on the ship... you can go back, nurse him and then go about your business.

Oh, and as for the booze... if you're sober enough to be with your son, you're sober enough to nurse him. Keep it reasonable (<1 drink per hour) and your milk will be less than 1/100 of one percent alcohol. Remember that in order to be legally drunk in most places you have to blow .08.

If you're gone for 4 hours, and you drink 4 drinks in that time, and you don't do them all immediately before coming back, you should be fine.

You should keep your drinking reasonable anyway--alcohol can really damage your milk supply if you drink too much. But keep it in perspective--in order to legally qualify as an alcoholic beverage, a liquid has to contain at least .5 % alcohol. Your breastmilk alcohol level is exactly the same as your blood alcohol level. Most women will be unconscious and/or vomiting by the time they even hit a BAC that qualifies their milk as an alcoholic beverage. This doesn't mean you should get smashed and nurse your baby, but does mean that I don't even think about timing of nursing to timing of drinking if I"m just having one or two drinks. The only reason I don't drink booze while I'm actually nursing is that the little twit will sit up and try to swipe it. (because he tries to swipe anything I drink, no matter what it is.)

Oh and the last issue--nursing in public. I used to be shy about it and try to be modest. Then I realized that those who were rude enough to harass a nursing mother would harass her even if she covered up and was modest. That everyone else woudl mind their own business as they should. I nurse wherever, whenever, and I don't worry about it anymore. They'll be seeing way less of my tits when I nurse than they would if I wore "appropriate" swim attire.

Archived