Advice Needed

Ramrac

We are thinking about booking our next cruise next year with another family we are friends with and wanted to see if anything could provide some knowlegde/advice regarding one of the children and Camp Carnival.

I have been on 4 cruises and am familiar with the camp to an extent. Our friends have a 4 year old daughter, as well as their 6 and 7 year old sons. Their daughter has not been diagnosed with anything, please don't lecture me that she needs to be tested for anything as this is not my child or my place to tell them, but she does not talk very much and can get nervous at times, no outburts though. I don't know all the specifics so I know it is limited information I am giving, but they believe she may be slightly autistic. Does anyone have experience with bringing a child on board who may be autistic and did they do well on the cruise? Also did they attend camp at all and if so how did it go?

I have contacted Carnival to find out what the camp leaders experience is with children with special conditions, but have heard nothing back yet. I also wanted to see if anyone could provide unbiased knowledge of their experience or of someone they know. We are trying to decide if a cruise would be a good idea or if we should look into something else.

Thank you for any and all feedback related to this!

I don't have a child with autism but have friends that do. I think they should cruise if they see fit. Camp Carnival might be a good option but might include limited time per day based on what the child can do. I am sure they know her triggers and communicating that will be key. Even a child without "special needs or accommodations" might not adjust to the environment. One thing that is true of children is they are unpredictable. As a parent I guess my question would be are they looking for camp carnival to be their babysitter & if it doesn't work out they will be disappointed? Or, are they looking for a family vacation and camp carnival is just an option of fun for the child. If the participation in camp carnival doesn't make or break their vacation then why not cruise? Regardless of what type of vacation they/you choose the behaviors will still be the same so why not cruise?

I don't have a child with autism but have friends that do. I think they should cruise if they see fit. Camp Carnival might be a good option but might include limited time per day based on what the child can do. I am sure they know her triggers and communicating that will be key. Even a child without "special needs or accommodations" might not adjust to the environment. One thing that is true of children is they are unpredictable. As a parent I guess my question would be are they looking for camp carnival to be their babysitter & if it doesn't work out they will be disappointed? Or, are they looking for a family vacation and camp carnival is just an option of fun for the child. If the participation in camp carnival doesn't make or break their vacation then why not cruise? Regardless of what type of vacation they/you choose the behaviors will still be the same so why not cruise?

Thank you for your response. I didn't quite think of it that way. The camp would be used as a way for her to do something with other kids her age and enjoy some kid activities. I was just concerned if the staff have been trained to work with children who may need a little more attention than others. Thank you again for your advice!

I have a child who was diagnosed with Autism at age 3. He is now 23, but when he was younger I took him on a couple of cruises. I think he was around 8 when he first cruised. I took him to the kids club and told them if there were any problems they could get in touch with me and I would come get him. They did not seem too nervous about it and I never heard from them. He had a great time and always wanted to go back. It was a win win situation. Don't hesitate to give it a try.

I have a child who was diagnosed with Autism at age 3. He is now 23, but when he was younger I took him on a couple of cruises. I think he was around 8 when he first cruised. I took him to the kids club and told them if there were any problems they could get in touch with me and I would come get him. They did not seem too nervous about it and I never heard from them. He had a great time and always wanted to go back. It was a win win situation. Don't hesitate to give it a try.

Thank you! I will definitely relay all of this information onto the mother, it sounds like a cruise will be in our future :D

I was just painfully shy until after college. I hardly talked and entered kindergarten at age 4.

There could be other reasons why she doesnt talk much other than autism.

I think people these days are too quick to jump on that bandwagon. Put her in with her age group and see how she does. Maybe she wouldnt play much with others and stay by herself, nothing wrong with playing with toys quietly by yourself to me.

Thank you for your response. I didn't quite think of it that way. The camp would be used as a way for her to do something with other kids her age and enjoy some kid activities. I was just concerned if the staff have been trained to work with children who may need a little more attention than others. Thank you again for your advice!

Your welcome! I hope you guys cruise and its a fantastic time for everyone!

I was just painfully shy until after college. I hardly talked and entered kindergarten at age 4.

There could be other reasons why she doesnt talk much other than autism.

I think people these days are too quick to jump on that bandwagon. Put her in with her age group and see how she does. Maybe she wouldnt play much with others and stay by herself, nothing wrong with playing with toys quietly by yourself to me.

I totally agree. I have not seen our friends in 5 years so I have not actually met their daughter yet and am only going off some comments that were mentioned. I have not wanted to ask them anything related to any condition she may have as it is not my business. She may very well not have any disorder, am only going off of what they have said and their assumption that she may have something. Thank you for the insight though!

I do have a son who is both autistic and non-verbal. He absolutely LOVES to cruise. He is very happy while at sea (arent we all:D) Because he is non-verbal we have not used Camp Carnival, but we did go up and meet them just in case we decided to send him. The staff was great and made us feel very welcome. The can try it knowing that they may have to go and get her if it doesnt work. You will never know until you try.

That being said. If she loves cruising and it turns out that she does have special needs, I would HIGHLY recomend looking into traveling with Autism on the Seas. We have traveled with them and cant say enough about them. The bring grad students who take our kids to Camp and because they know our kids, it makes it so easy. When we travel with them I do send my son to play.

Enjoy the cruise.

I do have a son who is both autistic and non-verbal. He absolutely LOVES to cruise. He is very happy while at sea (arent we all:D) Because he is non-verbal we have not used Camp Carnival, but we did go up and meet them just in case we decided to send him. The staff was great and made us feel very welcome. The can try it knowing that they may have to go and get her if it doesnt work. You will never know until you try.

That being said. If she loves cruising and it turns out that she does have special needs, I would HIGHLY recomend looking into traveling with Autism on the Seas. We have traveled with them and cant say enough about them. The bring grad students who take our kids to Camp and because they know our kids, it makes it so easy. When we travel with them I do send my son to play.

Enjoy the cruise.

Thank you!!!

Archived