Fishing in Ketchikan

momthecruisedirector

We also just got back from our cruise. My husband and sons did a charter out of Juneau early in the week and are sending home 25 lbs of King salmon...had a great day. While in Skagway my son bought a pole and some tackle (some little shiny things!) at the local hardware store (also got a license there) and the guys hiked up to a great lake (about a 45 minute fairly steep hike) and fished for about 4 hours. Sons caught so many fish...lots of Dolly Varden...all catch and release. It was awsome and he only spent about $30 total on gear! Then in Ketchikan the guys did a kayaking trip but still had about 1 1/2 hrs to spare after the trip. They got out the pole and headed to Creek Street. There were several people fishing off the bridge and others down on the boat docks. The fish were jumping all over and it was so much fun for the boys. My youngest caught a huge salmon and really spent alot of time trying to bring it in...we don't know how on the gear he had...we didn't see anyone else get one while we were there. Our ship was leaving in 30 minutes so I told the boys there was no way we could keep it...Just as he was pullling it onto the dock it dropped off the line...I was so relieved! By the way, the 15 year old did not need the license (only over 16). This was such a simple thing for the guys to do and they really really loved it.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like we should have planned our trip earlier but we are leaving on September 17 - the last Diamond cruise on this Alaska run. I called Ken at Northern Lights Charter a few days ago after your review and he said that it is slower in September. I'm going shopping but Ken may persuade me to go fishing - although he may be teaching and may have to give us to his co-op to find my husband a spot.

Thanks again for the info....

Archived