just booked cruise on Legend!!!!

maunakealady

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sue, thanks for your concern. what a long strange trip it's been dealing with the airlines.

after endless wrangling with United to no avail, we got an American Express platinum card, just for access to their international air program (2 for 1 airfares for business and 1st class). they wouldn't quote us any rates until we received the new card. after all that, their 2 for 1 rates were a disapointment - their fares are well above booking a flight yourself online (generally double the cost (or more!), so why bother??). plus, Am Ex no longer partners with British Airways, so BA Club World wasn't an option. tried for airfares through Andrew Harper's Q Club - no savings there, either.

I finally was able to book UAL 1st class round trip between San Francisco and Hawaii using miles at no cost. we also booked Virgin Atlantic from San Francisco to London (upper class, lower fare) which was the best deal we could find for business or 1st class nonstop from San Francisco. it was cheaper to book this online than using the Am Ex 2 for 1 fare - same flight, same seats. and seatguru was a big help - thanks!!

we'll be spending 2 days in London, then take the Eurostar chunnel to Paris. 3 days in Paris - then 3 days at Lake Garda to go to the opera in Verona! then to Rome (Hotel de Russie!!) for 1 overnight before joining the Legend. we're still trying to work out the logistics between Paris and Verona, and Verona and Rome. but we're slowly working it out. we will prevail !!!!!

Am Ex platinum and Q Club have both been helpful in getting good rates and upgrades at hotels - but there's alot of follow up involved with getting them to send you those same hotel reservation confirmations in writing. :(

I guess I'm really really ready for a vacation now!!:p thanks again for your help, everyone.

CruisinMatt, thanks - we've booked 1st class on the Eurostar/chunnel.

does anyone have train, plane, car advice regarding Paris to Verona (or to Milan) and hotels near Verona or on Lake Garda?

many thanks for all the wonderful suggestions.

I can't help with any of your questions, but here's a website that this month reviews some of the finer hotel dining rooms in Paris. John Mariani is the food/restaurant critic for Esquire and I have used his advice for years. Patricia Wells, an author and cuilinary educator also has a website and reviews Paris restaurants.

http://www.johnmariani.com/current-issue/

Jane in PHL (What opera are you going to see?)

Jane,

thank you for the wonderful link for Paris restaurants. we're also doing research on Patrica Wells, 2005 reviews. we can't wait!! :)

we'll be seeing Verdi's Nabucco opera in Verona - slated to be an incredible performance. we'll be meeting up with friends there for the opera that evening - so it should be a memorable occaision.

we've found a Wonderful hotel on Lake Garda and have confirmed reservations now, so things are coming together for us. the last steps will be scheduling the flight from Paris to Milan, and booking the train from Milan to Rome!

we're off in 35 days!!!

thanks again for all the advice, support, and recommendations everyone! please keep letting me know about any other ideas - all the advice has been invaluable.

maunakealady,

sounds like ur trip is coming together well. i think youll enjoy virgin upper class. im flying it from LA to london in 2 1/2 weeks for my 28 day cruise on the pride. also i think youll like the de russie in rome.

enjoy it all!!!

John, we'll be staying at the Dorchester in London for 2 nights. we're keeping the first evening's plans open, as we'll probably be jet lagged. the 2nd evening we're going to see Les Miserables at Queens Theatre, and a dinner afterwards at The Ivy. any advice or suggestions about London? we're really looking forward to our visit there. :)

maunakealady,

if youre not too exhausted the first night try dinner at the woolsley on picadilly. its not too far a walk from the dorchester (my favorite hotel in london) and the food and atmosphere are terrific. its run by the same people as the ivy but its different.

wripro, where would you suggest having dinner and breakfast in Rome? should we eat at the Hotel de Russie, where we'll be staying for the night, pre-cruise? should we make dinner reservations in advance?

thanks for your help.

Hi Maunakealady,Your choice of Hotel is good,it now has a new managment team led by Mr Cowdary who was for many years the G.M. at Claridges.The Location is great and your Jet-Lag can be walked off in Hyde Park, which the Hotel faces.Les Miserables is a wonderful musical,look out for the Tavern song(master of the House). The Ivy is still a very popular Restaurant,but I must say that The Wolesley is now the Restaurant that people favour.The Ivy has now changed ownership and Chris and Jeremy now concentrate their efforts on The Wolesley.The good thing is that it is open for Breakfast,Lunch and Dinner and gives you more of a chance to try it.As your stay is very short there is not much time to do too many things,but one thing I would say is do book a car to take you to the Theatre/Dinner as Taxi's are rare at this time because the drivers seem to have their dinner when everybody needs them.I do use a Car service that I can really recommend in London (good old fashioned service!)

Regards

John

One of my 'musts' for August is to see the exhibit of Dutch Masters at the Queen's Gallery at 'Buck House'. I love that gallery, since it's small and it has wonderful exhibits from the Royal collections.

I also toured the Palace one August when it's open to the public and it was fascinating! I had recently read a cute mystery, 'Death at Buckingham Palace' by C.C. Bension and it was fun to see the rooms that her char/detectlive scurried about. I could find the 'secret' doors, etc. Also, the art is superb. But I know your time is limited.

Jane

maunakealady,

when i stayed at the de russie breakfast was included. it was a lovely buffet in a beautiful room. i would suggest you have your TA try to get it included in the price of your room. as for dinner, there are so many wonderful choices in rome. if you want to stay near the hotel theres a very good restauranright on the piazza del popolo called dal bolognese, about a one minute walk across the piazza. for something simpler i like a place called ninos right near the spanish steps. the concierge can direct you as well as suggest other places. its hard to go wrong with food in rome.

GREAT advice - thank you, everyone.

John, thanks for the great suggestions and information. a walk in hyde park sounds perfect as a jet lag antidote. we'll re- focus on the Wolesley; as both you & Wripro have suggested this restaurant. we'll look into reserving a car for the theatre & dinner. yes, we're very familair with Les Mis -(and I've also read Victor Hugo's book) - can't wait to see this in London! and "master of the house" is one of our favorites.

Jane, thanks for steering us towards the Dutch Masters exhibit - it sounds fantastic. no worries about not enough time, we'll be stopping by London again for a longer visit on our way home.

Wripro, thanks for the advice about restaurants in Rome near the Hotel de Russie. I think we'd like something really special that evening; what about Harrys Bar, Casina Valadier, the rooftop restaurant at the Hassler Villa Medici, or Le Terraza at the top of Hotel Eden? we'd like something gourmet with great ambiance and service...any suggestions?

thanks again!!!!!

maunakealady,

i have eaten at la terraza on top of the hotel eden when i stayed there a few years ago. magnificent view, lovely room and excellent food. the restaurant in the de russie is also beautiful, situated one flight up in the courtyard which is all lit up at night and quite magical. also excellent food. of course, the nice thing about that is one can drink all the wine one wants and your room is only an elevator ride away. the restaurant in the cavalieri hilton is supposed to be wonderful so you might want to check that out as well. what a wonderful dilemma!!!!

Jane and Wripro - thanks.

Jane, thanks for the link to the top 2005 restaurants. I've printed this out and will start doing research on the restaurants where we'll be!!

Wripro, thanks. I agree, it's always helpful to eat and drink within crawling distance of your hotel room! :p this may swing us in the direction of eating at Hotel de Russie, especially since you think the food and ambiance there are good. we're also in the process of booking the Wolseley Restaurant for dinner after Les Mis - and the Wolseley is also listed on the top 2005 restaurants link that Jane provided!

John, thanks for recommending the Wolseley - we're arranging a private car for the evening - for Les Mis and dinner afterwards, as you suggested. it sounds like this will be a very memorable evening. thank you again.

we're pretty darned excited now!

many many thanks!!

Maunakealady.

Just to let you know, my wife and I think the Mauna Kea Beach Resort is the best resort in the US. I just wish we could spend more time there. The food was great and service was excellant.

Lefty Bob

Archived