Bringing food on board?

Hmmmmm......." Every cookie has a mission. To help girls do great things." Going on a cruise IS great but I didn't think that was the mission of which they spoke. Guess I'm in the minority since I have stale GS cookies still in the cupboard from last year when I bought them this year. I only buy them to help the troops.

iheartdba....

I'm trying very hard right now to be polite. However, it is EXTREMELY difficult to hear criticism about how my girls chose to spend their very hard earned money. They spend the entire school year doing service project after service project! Over the course of our time together, these girls have delivered Meals On Wheels, stuffed teddy bears for Relay for Life, decorated Christmas trees at a local hospital/sung for the patients, manned the recycling booths at a local festival, organized children's activities for local GS events and many, many other service activities. On top of that, they have collected hundreds and hundred of boxes of Girl Scout cookies to ship to our military personel overseas(Where, I can assure you, they don't have time to get stale). My girls are EXCELLENT and DEDICATED students, athletes and musicians! They worked together, volunteered together, planned together, and budgeted together....now was their opportunity to have some FUN TOGETHER! I think they, absolutely, exemplify "Every Cookie Has A Mission"!

Here are 2 other things(among many) that I've taught them..."Don't judge people" and "Don't say hurtful things".

AMEN Sister!

Besides, Girl Scout Cookies are WAY too good to ever go stale! Don't like them? Take them to work. I know my office will officially shut down when there are no treats in the kitchen....chocolate especially!

Can't wait to hear about their trip!

Well said, guitargirl.....I was a GS so I know how much they do. I can only dream about if they went on cruises back when I was one, I got to use the latrine and clean it for 2 weeks every summer at Camp Dorothy Carlton in MA, that was our big trip! :( Please post what you can, we understand issues about posting minors, etc. Would love to hear your review and a few comments by one of the girls would be great, as well! :D:D *Green smileys in honor of the GS

Bringing girl scout cookies is a wonderful idea! The girls raised money selling cookies and are traveling as a group, giving cookies as an additional thanks is perfect. I bet some of the stewards have never even seen them before.

It is posts like I have seen on other threads saying they give a couple little candies as "rewards" that are inappropriate.

Actually, some of the residents/children on some of these islands might appreciate the cookies FAR more than the crew! Have you thought about taking the boxes in a backpack to give to some of the children who are extremely poor on these islands???

iheartdba....

I'm trying very hard right now to be polite. However, it is EXTREMELY difficult to hear criticism about how my girls chose to spend their very hard earned money. They spend the entire school year doing service project after service project! Over the course of our time together, these girls have delivered Meals On Wheels, stuffed teddy bears for Relay for Life, decorated Christmas trees at a local hospital/sung for the patients, manned the recycling booths at a local festival, organized children's activities for local GS events and many, many other service activities. On top of that, they have collected hundreds and hundred of boxes of Girl Scout cookies to ship to our military personel overseas(Where, I can assure you, they don't have time to get stale). My girls are EXCELLENT and DEDICATED students, athletes and musicians! They worked together, volunteered together, planned together, and budgeted together....now was their opportunity to have some FUN TOGETHER! I think they, absolutely, exemplify "Every Cookie Has A Mission"!

Here are 2 other things(among many) that I've taught them..."Don't judge people" and "Don't say hurtful things".

GuitarGal-I think I love you:rolleyes:! I wish you'd been MY GS leader! Excellent response, and, particularly, your defense of your troop!:D Thin Mints for me -- two boxes still in freezer. Silver

Hmmmmm......." Every cookie has a mission. To help girls do great things." Going on a cruise IS great but I didn't think that was the mission of which they spoke. Guess I'm in the minority since I have stale GS cookies still in the cupboard from last year when I bought them this year. I only buy them to help the troops.

iheartdba....

I never said anything about how your girls spend their hard earned money. Just meant that I thought the mission statement, and I see I was mistaken, meant ONLY exactly what your girls have done...service. My comment was based on the type of things I know my neighbir Girl Scout does. I apologize that it came out the wrong way.

I spent any number of years as a counselor at a Girl Scout camp, and yes, my salary in that council came from Girl Scout cookies. They are like any kind of food....very subjective, and I just don't care for them. Everyone can have their likes and dislikes.;) As I said, I buy them because I know what they support.

I hope I can take my foot out of my mouth and your girls have a BLAST!

I never said anything about how your girls spend their hard earned money. Just meant that I thought the mission statement, and I see I was mistaken, meant ONLY exactly what your girls have done...service. My comment was based on the type of things I know my neighbir Girl Scout does. I apologize that it came out the wrong way.

I spent any number of years as a counselor at a Girl Scout camp, and yes, my salary in that council came from Girl Scout cookies. They are like any kind of food....very subjective, and I just don't care for them. Everyone can have their likes and dislikes.;) As I said, I buy them because I know what they support.

I hope I can take my foot out of my mouth and your girls have a BLAST!

I appreciate your apology! I take my role as a GS leader very seriously and I have tried, for 7+ years, to teach my girls the importance of the Girl Scout mission; Building Courage, Confidence and Character! As for your dislike of the cookies, may I suggest that you find a troop who donates cookies to organizations and help them? Our entire region works with an organization called "Smiles For Soldiers". This organization has helped us, and hundreds of other troops in our area, send GS cookies to our military men and women both overseas AND here in the USA. In addition, our particular troop supplies GS cookies to many families working with a local Meals On Wheels program. We also donate cookies to a local geriatric behavioral health program for a special reminiscence day.

Thank you again for your gracious apology!

Actually, some of the residents/children on some of these islands might appreciate the cookies FAR more than the crew! Have you thought about taking the boxes in a backpack to give to some of the children who are extremely poor on these islands???

This is a great idea! Unfortunately, we only had a very few boxes of cookies left over from our sales that did not already get sent out to 3 different organizations. To do something like you suggest would also involve a bit more than just putting them in backpacks and handing them out. I would have had to coordinate this effort as a full activity. This would involve contacting a local authority and finding a safe place to distribute the cookies. It may sound like overkill to say all this but I am personally responsible for the safety of my girls when I take a trip like this. I need to be overly cautious in every activity that I plan! The planning and organization of EVERY aspect of a safe Girl Scout activity takes an incredible amount of time. Having said that, It's still a great idea...just not one that we had the resources or time to do appropriately!

Archived