Helicopter and Valor Webcam

caroliemarie

Don't know where they'd land. Possible they'd use a basket?
They would have to. There's not sufficient open deck space to land.

*Something* is going on. The ship has slowed to 5 knots, and it should be clipping along at 18 or so at this point of the cruise.

They would have to. There's not sufficient open deck space to land.

*Something* is going on. The ship has slowed to 5 knots, and it should be clipping along at 18 or so at this point of the cruise.

Yep.

Maybe someone that doesn't have anything better to do will post today and let us know what's going on.

Anyone see the webcam this morning? There is a helicopter flying what looks to be close to the back of the Valor and quite low. Would this be because of an emergency? Where would it land on the ship?
I was just going to post about the same thing, but skimmed through the threads first. Something must be going on, My guess is a passenger needs to get off maybe?? God forbid hopefully no one "fell" off.

I remember the ship slowed WAY down on our Paradise cruise because the Coast Guard had to catch us. That was because a man had died (heart attack) in the main show lounge. DM and I were there when it happend. :( Very sad, poor guy was on his honeymoon, too. I hope the reason for the Valor slowing down so much and the helicopter isn't like that! :eek:

When we were on the Inspiration, a crew member fell and hit head. We turned around to get within range of Coast Guard helicopter.

They stretchered the guy to the funnel deck. Helicopter lowered basket to pick the guy up.

Ship slowed down, but kept moving. They said this was the best way to keep ship stable, that totally stopping would have caused it to move with wave action. So copter & ship sychronized speed to do the extraction.

Hate it for the guy hurt, but was neat to watch how they handled the whole operation.

• 2 weeks later...
The Coast Guard does some fantastic work, often in very dangerous situations.

As the mother of a Coast Guard helicopter pilot based at Air Station Miami . . . I thank you. I'm very proud of my "kid" and everytime someone salutes him as says "Sir" . . . I can't help but smile.

As the mother of a Coast Guard helicopter pilot based at Air Station Miami . . . I thank you. I'm very proud of my "kid" and everytime someone salutes him as says "Sir" . . . I can't help but smile.

And you should be proud... :)

I was on this cruise and was on deck while the helicopter was hovering. The crew was very tight-lipped about what happened. However, at the end of the crusie, the captain did say that the gentleman that was airlifted was doing just fine at one of the island hospitals.

I was on this cruise and was on deck while the helicopter was hovering. The crew was very tight-lipped about what happened. However, at the end of the crusie, the captain did say that the gentleman that was airlifted was doing just fine at one of the island hospitals.

Goincruising

which island did this take place? I did not see the helicopter.

Any other info ?

:)

Archived