Venice? Verona or Murano/Burano?

EvelynAlexa

Keep in mind that Murano and Burano are fairly small, so it doesn't take long to see them. I haven't been to Burano, but was in Murano. Depending how much you want to see the glass, Murano can take as little as a few hours to see. Verona is a decent size city where you could spend a day or two. I love Verona and would go there. Spending the night in the place I speak about below is a great experience. I posted this on another thread:

The train is simple. The express takes a little over an hour. Verona is great. So lively, especially in the evening. One of my favorite places in Italy. Stay in the "old town" area. We stayed at a fantastic place called the Sogno di Giulietta.

It it is located inside the gated area of Juliet's courtyard. One of the coolest little places I've stayed and a one of a kind experience. It's in a perfect location, right at the end of the main walking street that connects to the Piazza Bra. Picture staying inside any of Europe's tourist attractions and having it to yourself after the crowds leave. That is this place.

There are only around 10 rooms (I think). No restaurant. Just a tiny little entrance, with a wonderful staff. At night, they kick out the tourists, close the gates, and you have the courtyard to yourself and the couple other guests staying there. When you come back at night, you ring the bell and the open the gates. Others looking on, are basically looking at you like a celebrity.

One couple set up a candlelight dinner in the courtyard. It's one of those memorable places that you will stay. The rooms are great and all decorated different. The next morning, they bring you a wonderful room service breakfast from the cafe across the street. Can't say enough about our experience there.

Glad this post is here. We will be in Venice in Oct 2014. We are wanting to go to Murano & Burano. Yes, I know it's 17 months away - but I like to have ideas of where to go and what to do. Helps with planning the budget. ;)

Any recommendations of places to get some hand-made items (glass and other things)? I've heard to "shop around" not all the shops charge the same amount.

Any recommendations for lunch?

Thank you :)

We too are planning the same itinerary. We went to Burano on a land tour excursion and it was the highlight of my trip! We had a very relaxing, enjoyable time exploring the hidden gems behind the store front alleys. We walked along the back streets and located a school and kids playing. It was wonderful! We did explore the lace stores and I bought a beautiful scarf in one of the stores. As always, there are plenty of cheap scarves hanging from the pillars outside the stores, but the unique, less commercial ones are inside. I have no recommendations, because frankly I can remember where I bought it, but I loved watching the ladies tat the lace. It's very quaint and slower paced than Venice. I'm sure you will love it!

We plan to go to Murano as well and return to Burano, but it shouldn't take all day. You can probably squeeze something else in without feeling too rushed.

We are going to Verona on a day trip and anticipate it will be for at least 6 hours + travel. If others have recommendations on how to get there by train, I would greatly appreciate it?

If you have 2 days, you can easily do both.

Sorry, as for the handmade glass it really depends on what you are looking for. I bought a small pendant trimmed in gold, with the tree of life in multicolours from a jeweller off the main strip, who was very knowledgeable and the price was reasonable. I still wear it and love it! It really depends on your traveling arrangements and whether you want it shipped. Just make sure it is true Murano glass and not a "knock-off" as many glass creations are not authentic.

I'm not an expert but many of the glass blowers and experts on her could better tell you. Mine was marked with murano. I know that many say its Murano and then when you look at the glass it says "made in china." Price may also be an indicator. I stuck to less expensive items is it was less costly if you made a mistake. Hopefully someone else will will more knowledgeable and help you out

Butson is quite small so getting list is very hard to do. You can actually walk around the perimeter easily in a short period of time. Relax and soak it all in. The water ride there is truly an experience especially if its sunny and warm. No rush, just sit back and enjoy!

We too are planning the same itinerary. We went to Burano on a land tour excursion and it was the highlight of my trip! We had a very relaxing, enjoyable time exploring the hidden gems behind the store front alleys. We walked along the back streets and located a school and kids playing. It was wonderful! We did explore the lace stores and I bought a beautiful scarf in one of the stores. As always, there are plenty of cheap scarves hanging from the pillars outside the stores, but the unique, less commercial ones are inside. I have no recommendations, because frankly I can remember where I bought it, but I loved watching the ladies tat the lace. It's very quaint and slower paced than Venice. I'm sure you will love it!

We plan to go to Murano as well and return to Burano, but it shouldn't take all day. You can probably squeeze something else in without feeling too rushed.

We are going to Verona on a day trip and anticipate it will be for at least 6 hours + travel. If others have recommendations on how to get there by train, I would greatly appreciate it?

If you have 2 days, you can easily do both.

Verona is really easy by train. The express train takes a little over an hour. Spend the extra money and do the express. The local train takes twice as long and you stop about every 10 minutes. Most likely, no need to buy tickets in advance. Just go to one of the automated machines at St. Lucia station and follow the instructions, pick your time, and buy your tickets. Very easy.

Very important. When entering the train platform, make sure you validate the ticket in the yellow box at the platform entrance. If you don't, you can get fined on the train.

Once in Verona, take a cab to the Piazza Bra. Here is a link to the Italian rail site. One note. Have cash to use the machines. Many don't take American credit cards, without pins.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ad1ce14114bc9110VgnVCM10000080a3e90aRCRD

I'm not an expert but many of the glass blowers and experts on her could better tell you. Mine was marked with murano. I know that many say its Murano and then when you look at the glass it says "made in china." Price may also be an indicator. I stuck to less expensive items is it was less costly if you made a mistake. Hopefully someone else will will more knowledgeable and help you out

Butson is quite small so getting list is very hard to do. You can actually walk around the perimeter easily in a short period of time. Relax and soak it all in. The water ride there is truly an experience especially if its sunny and warm. No rush, just sit back and enjoy!

This reply was terrible! My apologies! Using an iPhone in a hurry is not a good thing!

I meant to say other words but for sure "Butson" was Burano and because it is so small, there really are no worries about getting lost.

Hopefully you figured it out! Sorry!

Verona is really easy by train. The express train takes a little over an hour. Spend the extra money and do the express. The local train takes twice as long and you stop about every 10 minutes. Most likely, no need to buy tickets in advance. Just go to one of the automated machines at St. Lucia station and follow the instructions, pick your time, and buy your tickets. Very easy.

Very important. When entering the train platform, make sure you validate the ticket in the yellow box at the platform entrance. If you don't, you can get fined on the train.

Once in Verona, take a cab to the Piazza Bra. Here is a link to the Italian rail site. One note. Have cash to use the machines. Many don't take American credit cards, without pins.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ad1ce14114bc9110VgnVCM10000080a3e90aRCRD

Awesome!! Thanks so much - it sounds easy and no need for advance tickets - that's great!! We're thinking Verona for the day unless someone else is aware of a better location that is equally or more enticing? I'm open to suggestions!

We really enjoyed an overnight visit to Verano several years ago. That was only by chance because at the time, Venice was just far enough from London to push it into a higher frequent flyer mileage requirement than the rest of northern Italy, so we booked out of Verano to save 5,000 miles. (Easier booking to get too, as less popular than Venice). It was an easy train ride and we got a hotel close to the station, which itself was right close to the beginning of the pedestrian area.

Verano is home to one of the largest and most intact Roman arenas, and compares to the Coliseum in Rome; a bit smaller but even more intact. Really nice open square out front and side, loaded with cafés and restaurants. A block or two up is the old market square with interesting stalls and artful buildings. Under the whale bone (look up that significance) to the fictionalized balcony of Romeo and Juliette.

It was a delightful place and a good contrast to Venice and the water, if you want to see something different.

Verona is wonderful, but so are Murano and Burano and going to them would make for a much more relaxing day. I especially liked Burano and want to go back and spend more time there.

So, you have a difficult decision.

Verona is wonderful, but so are Murano and Burano and going to them would make for a much more relaxing day. I especially liked Burano and want to go back and spend more time there.

So, you have a difficult decision.

Murano and Burano is a scenic trip by vaporetto in Venice. An overnight trip to Verona is best for pre or post cruise rather than a port visit.

Thank you for the reminder to keep the port stop in Venice relaxing.

Eve

Glad this post is here. We will be in Venice in Oct 2014. We are wanting to go to Murano & Burano. Yes, I know it's 17 months away - but I like to have ideas of where to go and what to do. Helps with planning the budget. ;)

Any recommendations of places to get some hand-made items (glass and other things)? I've heard to "shop around" not all the shops charge the same amount.

Any recommendations for lunch?

Thank you :)

On Murano, we love Restaurant B - one of our best meals in all of Italy. On Burano - Gato Nero is famous for risotto.

Enjoy,

Dawn - heading back in 165 days!

Archived