A question about the WWII memorial in NOLA

arkansasboy

I have wanted to see the National WWII museum for a long time and now I will have the chance but am wondering how long it takes to go through it. We dont know if we will visit the afternoon before the cruise or wait and do it after disembarkation before driving home.

I have wanted to see the National WWII museum for a long time and now I will have the chance but am wondering how long it takes to go through it. We dont know if we will visit the afternoon before the cruise or wait and do it after disembarkation before driving home.

FIRST, it is a GREAT plan on your part to make visiting the National WWI Museum part of your visit to NOLA. We live about an hour from the city, and the WWI Museum is now one of the 'crown jewels' of attractions that NOLA has to offer.

As to how much time to allocate for a visit..............it can be quite varied. When I visited with my SIL (Former Army Ranger) we arrived at opening time and left at closing time............so it filled the day.

If you want to take in all the interactive displays, and also attend the showing of the presentations/movies/ 4-D feature in the theaters.......it is EASILY a 4-6 hour visit.

If you are more a 'Readers Digest' person..........the you can 'walk through' in only a couple hours.

Personally, the day we spend REALLY visiting was one of the best museum experiences I have ever had.

In either case, I hope you enjoy your visit to NOLA and the WWII Museum, and also, ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!:D

It's easily a 4-6 hour visit. There is the museum, movie, a second building with a 4-D movie, and a new exhibit at the Boeing Center that just opened this spring. There is also The American Zone, a John Besh resturant. You can easily spend all day there. Plus there is a lot more to see and do in NOLA.

It's a fabulous museum. We've been members since it opened in 2000, even though we don't live in NOLA, and have visited it about 8 times. You can see a lot in a few hours. It feels like such a personal, approachable museum. Maybe because it's modern history, maybe because I've heard firsthand stories from relatives, it's just incredible.

No matter how much or how little you visit there, you'll get something out of it.

I would suggest to visit at the end of your cruise so you can take your time and enjoy the many exhibits...plus it is located not that far from the cruise terminal

It is an incredible experience

I must say this is a fantastic museum. You will want to spend the better part of your day there at least 5 or 6 hours. I went thru an unexpected range of emotion going thru it, just incredible.

I appreciate the feedback. I am thinking that going after disembarkation would be best. Its only 2 blocks from our hotel but it will be after noon when we get there prior to the cruise and we are going to the French quarter that evening for some gumbo and jambalaya.

I will concur with everyone else as well. I really was impressed by this museum. I'm a big American History buff, and that was my major in college so I always visit places like this whenever I travel, and the WWII museum in NOLA is def one of the better museums I have ever visited. Def spend the time and the extra few bucks to see the 4D movie as well, it was very well done, not good for younger children though if that is a concern.

Archived