Cruise Critic Article: Low-Carb Cruising

LauraS

• Administrators

Here's some "food for thought" (sorry I couldn't resist). I though you might enjoy reading this article: Low Carb Cruising

Laura

Laura Sterling

Community Manager

Up4travel@aol.com

Cruise Critic

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Laura, first let me congratulate you on your weightloss! While not as impressive as yours I'm down 46 pounds after 18 months and love low carb!

I was so excited to see that Carnival was going to start offering low carb option but also thought that on the three cruises I've taken since eating this way it wasn't too hard to stick to my lifestyle even on the ship!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;09;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Pink Sand and Blue Waters of Bermuda

I agree that it is easier to follow low carb. However, it will be nice when the desserts are low carb. There are some great low carb desserts that they could make and make the choices so much easier. Also, no sugar added mixed drinks would be great as well!!. We will just have to see what the various lines do with their "low carb" choices. Mary

whale.gif

HORIZON 3/04

SUMMIT 9/03

My husband and I have been doing Atkins together since 4/1/03, and managed to stick to it pretty well on board the Grandeur of the Seas 3/20/04. Just as Laura said in the article, it was easiest to do breakfast totally lo-carb. While my husband is maintaining, I'm still going hard at it, so he ate some potatoes or rice, etc., with his entree at night, but I always asked Salim, our waiter in the dining room, to leave off the starch and double up on the vegetables for me. The two types of bread offered before the meals always looked good, but I feel so good about the 40 or so pounds I've lost so far, that I wasn't tempted to give in and eat it. We did do one dessert a night and drank martinis a lot, so I did gain 1 lb. over the 7 day cruise, but I think that's pretty good!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;3;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Our 3/04 Grandeur Cruise

• 2 weeks later...

That is a great weight loss JHanschke and to only gain 1 lb. on a seven day cruise is terrific!!

You both have mastered the art of living healthy and feeling good on a great loss plan. I have been on Dr. Atkins for almost a year and have lost nearly 50 pounds...Then on Dec.23/03 I came down with guillian barrett syndrome after a flu shot and was paralized from the shoulders down.I had to learn how to feed myself and walk again. While in the hospital the Dr. let me stay on my diet for on going weight loss .I am doing better than even the Dr. thought and was able to go on my cruise Explorer of the Seas 3/04 using only a walker! april 5/05 we will be going on Adventure of the Seas and I am walking very good on my own now.......Back to the Atkins diet I have been cheating on it and have seen a four pound gain since I got out of the hospital. I have cheated on all the allowable foods just to much of the low carb treats!! OK I know that is still cheating and I am paying the price .Help... any advice on getting back on track? I know back to Induction,any encouragement and help would be appreciated!!! icon_razz.gif

True, all I can say is get with the induction phase again. I can't imagine being immobile from the shoulders down. Congrats on getting up and about with a walker! I know that the Atkins keeps working during immobile times because about a week before we started on Atkins, my husband broke his foot and still lost 30 lbs. in 6 weeks, with a cast on! Of course, I know men always lose weight more quickly than women, but it can be disheartening when they just keep losing, and we plateau.

We tried the flourless chocolate cake on the cruise, and when we got home, I found a recipe for it on the Low Carb Luxury Recipe site, (www.lowcarbluxury.com)and made it for both Easter and my daughter's 23rd birthday. Sure was nice to have a piece of cake with the family instead of just a cup of decaf and the leftover-from-the-cake whipped cream sweetened with Splenda made the decaf, which we drank anyway, seem more like a latte than just a cup of coffee.

Find a real food indulgence, allowable in induction, and wallow in it! Mine was macadamia nuts--a certain warehouse club that begins with S carries them in a 2 lb. bag for around $10.00. Much more reasonable than $4.50 for one of those dinky cans in the grocery store.

Anyway, God's blessings on your continuing recovery and weight loss. Keep up the good work!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;3;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Our 3/04 Grandeur Cruise

Sure wish Celebrity had a LC menu. I know I will get off track when I see those wonderful breadsticks icon_rolleyes.gif They DO offer Sugar free ice cream which was pretty good. Hope they have added some other goodies as well.

Constellation Baltic Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2004;06;05;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0000

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=6>

<param name="day" value=05>

<param name="hour" value=17>

</applet>

About the flourless chocolate cake recipe--don't bake it quite as long as they suggest the first time. Keep a close eye on it and get it out when it meets their description for doneness; it was about 8 minutes too long in my oven. It still tastes good, but the first one was a bit dry.

Our 3/04 Grandeur Cruise

• 3 weeks later...

www.lowcarbenergy.com This is my best friend's magazine, is new, and just hit the stands last month. A new issue is going on sale July 6. I think it is great and I am being objective. You will want to eat the food right off the pages. He is the National Sales Manager and the person that does the color separation and makes the food look so good.

Happiness often sneaks in through a door you didn’t know you left open.

- John Barrymore

Absolutely Fantastic News!! Good for Carnival and good for me! Laura - congrats to you!

Jill

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;9;05;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Elation September 5, 2004

"If the phone's for me, tell

'em I've already sailed away"!

DW took 1 RCCL before DH

DH took 2 CCL before DW

Holiday Honeymoon 95, Destiny 97, Fascination 98, NCL Sea 99, NCL Sea 00, Spirit 14 day Panama Canal 01, Celebration 2/02, Victory 5/02, Rhapsody 9/02, Jubilee 12/02, Elation 10/03, Legend 2/04

Archived