EWR hotel to Cape Liberty

Flying in on Nov 13th - Cruising the 14th. Holiday Inn because it's convenient and rated well through tripadvisor. I looked at the Marriot at the Airport but it appears just to be just another overpriced onsite hotel. Budget? I'm fairly flexible, but I'm not very picky either. I'd like to keep it under 400 bucks for hotel and transfer to the port which definitely doesn't appear to be a problem lol And it's just me travelling. My annual solo trip leaving dh and dd behind to fend for themselves ;) My only stipulation is a hotel with a restaurant onsite as I will probably do room service for dinner. I'm not into dining alone at a restaurant.

I'm not interested in hotels that have the free shuttle to the port - I'd rather private.

And thanks, any input is appreciated!

Your requirements are very different from most other cruisers. The hardest amenity to satisfy is the room service requirement. A large number of hotels at the airport do not have restaurants, but they do offer free breakfast and lots of take out menus. Holiday Inn has a restaurant and does offer room service, which makes it unusual. So if you're happy with the reviews, I'd go for it.

I know, what can I say, I'm a different girl. I'm still looking....really room service isn't a MUST I suppose....I can always grab something to go. I thought about staying in NYC and taking a transfer over but I like being close.

I've got an email into Black Executive Cars re: transfer from the hotel to the pier.

I see you're cruising solo just I do. I've been on the EX 11 times with my mom before she passed away and solo after that. I've stayed in about 5 hotels at the airport over the years. As a solo traveler I would recommend the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way rather than a hotel on US 1/9. Specifically we recommend the Marriott Courtyard Elizabeth, Residence Inn, and Country inns all the time for cruisers. I believe the Courtyard has a cafeteria setup, so you wouldn't be doing sit down dining. There is an IHOP across the street, which is a super informal place, as well as a Ruby Tuesdays. The Jersey Gardens Mall is right there and it has a food court and movies plus outlet shopping (not terrific, but it's an activity). Country Inns is very popular with cruisers - I stayed there essentially solo one weekend - I had to pick up my daughter at the airport at 5am and I felt very comfortable doing that by myself. All these hotels have take out menus and Country Inns and maybe Rsidence Inn offer free breakfast.

Newark is a highly industrial urban area, which is why we urge cruisers to be selective about where they stay. Essentially, if you stay at the Holiday Inn, you will be trapped in the hotel - there's no place you can wander around.

THANKS!!!!

I will look at those three - do you have a favorite? If there is a RT across the street I can grab take out so that's perfect. I don't care if I'm trapped in a hotel, but it's nice to have options. I see on a map that Elizabeth isn't far. Mall could be handy if I've forgotten something too!

Are cabs readily available there or do you suggest car service? When you stay how do you get to the port?

I've only stayed at Country Inns, but my friend Meg who posts on the board swears by the Courtyard and Residence Inn and has stayed in each multiple times.

I've only taken a car service once. Since I'm a frugal cruiser, I organized a group of cruisers staying in the same hotel and used a no frills service called Independent driver - 888-816-0973 which can ony be booked 4-6 weeks out. Meg has used Black Executive among other services. I believe ID is now $45 for up to 4 people and $10pp after that.

I've also parked at the port, taken public transit to the port, and taken the cruise bus to the port.

Archived