Le Harve bus to Honfleur

weston gal

We will be in Le harve in September and want to spend the day in Honfleur since we have been to Paris and Normandy. Is there a public bus we can catch at the port? We are in our 70s so we cannot navigate a long and complicated walk. I have read that a taxi tour would be very expensive and I would like to just take a leisurely walk around the city at our own pace and not do a ships tour.

We took a private taxi to Giverny and Rouen for the day and enjoyed it thoroughly. It was not inexpensive, however, costing about 390 Euros.

But to be on our own, spending as much time as we wanted in both places, was well worth it!

But if you took a ship's tour, it would be over $200 for two, and you would be on a time schedule.

Our driver was Patrick, and here is his e-mail address: spiess.patrick@orange.fr

We took a private taxi to Giverny and Rouen for the day and enjoyed it thoroughly. It was not inexpensive, however, costing about 390 Euros.

But to be on our own, spending as much time as we wanted in both places, was well worth it!

But if you took a ship's tour, it would be over $200 for two, and you would be on a time schedule.

Our driver was Patrick, and here is his e-mail address: spiess.patrick@orange.fr

Thank you for the information. We did a river cruise 2 years ago and visited Giverny and Rouen, which we enjoyed. That is why we would like to spend the day in Honfleur.

We do not recall seeing any public buses operating from the port in LeHavre....and keep in mind that there are multiple docking locations which can vary depending on how many ships are in port. Given your mobility issues you should consider either booking a tour to Honfleur or perhaps finding another couple on the CC Roll Call to split the cost of a taxi or possibly a private car/driver that you would arrange in advance. Getting to Honfleur by public bus can be a challenge since the frequency of buses leaves much to be desired. Personally, when we want to go to Honfleur we simply rent a car for the day (and then do some other things). But I doubt if the rental car option would be within your realm of thinking.

Hank

We do not recall seeing any public buses operating from the port in LeHavre....and keep in mind that there are multiple docking locations which can vary depending on how many ships are in port. Given your mobility issues you should consider either booking a tour to Honfleur or perhaps finding another couple on the CC Roll Call to split the cost of a taxi or possibly a private car/driver that you would arrange in advance. Getting to Honfleur by public bus can be a challenge since the frequency of buses leaves much to be desired. Personally, when we want to go to Honfleur we simply rent a car for the day (and then do some other things). But I doubt if the rental car option would be within your realm of thinking.

Hank

Thank you Hank. I think I will book a ships tour.

Thank you for the information. We did a river cruise 2 years ago and visited Giverny and Rouen, which we enjoyed. That is why we would like to spend the day in Honfleur.

We did the wine immersive cruise last year and did the 1/2 day ship tour to Honfleur which was really informative and left some time for crepe eating!! Others who had tried to take the public bus said that it was very crowded and not a pleasant experience. However there were also some CC members who had joined together and pre-booked a small taxi / mini-van which worked out significantly cheaper - possibly worth a post on your roll-call??

L

We did the wine immersive cruise last year and did the 1/2 day ship tour to Honfleur which was really informative and left some time for crepe eating!! Others who had tried to take the public bus said that it was very crowded and not a pleasant experience. However there were also some CC members who had joined together and pre-booked a small taxi / mini-van which worked out significantly cheaper - possibly worth a post on your roll-call??

L

Yes, the local bus to Honfleur has a very very limited timetable, and restricts your day. It's not even possible to return by bus unless your sailing out of Le Havre is quite late.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.busverts.fr/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbus%2Bvert%26hl%3Den-GB%26rlz%3D1T4GGLS_en-GBGB509GB509

The vast majority of cruisers take ship's tour or share a taxi or van.

It's not worth renting a car unless you incorporate more than just Honfleur into your day - such as along the coast beyond Honfleur to the twins of Trouville & Deauville.

JB :)

I'll offer another perspective, just having done this a few days ago while on a Princess cruise. We were docked from 7 am to 8 pm. There were two buses to Honfleur in the morning at 7:49 and 8:45, but we opted to go later and caught the first bus in the afternoon at 12:42.

The walk to the bus station was about a mile from where Princess and Celebrity ships were docked that day and took us 20 minutes. The way to Le Gare (station) was well marked. There were taxis to the station available, charging a flat fee of 10 € for up to four passengers, one way.

We bought tickets at the station, 7.4 € per person round trip. The bus drivers also sold tickets. We starting queuing about 20 minutes before the bus was scheduled to leave, and that proved to be a good thing because there were too many who wanted to go and the bus filled to capacity. Some people were not able to get on.

It's about 20 minutes to Honfleur, a very pleasant ride over the Normandy Bridge. The bus stopped at the station in the center of the town, a few blocks from the Old Harbor. We strolled and enjoyed the historical buildings and then had a great seafood lunch on the harbor. I noticed that the tourist info office had audio guides to hire for a self-guided walking tour. There are also a couple of small museums, but they were closed that day (Tuesday).

There were two buses back to Le Havre that worked with our time in port. Again, people started queuing a little early and everyone did get on, but the bus was almost full. I should add that on weekends, there are fewer buses available.

It was a great day in Honfleur, slow and relaxing after a port-intensive cruise.

I'll offer another perspective, just having done this a few days ago while on a Princess cruise. We were docked from 7 am to 8 pm. There were two buses to Honfleur in the morning at 7:49 and 8:45, but we opted to go later and caught the first bus in the afternoon at 12:42.

The walk to the bus station was about a mile from where Princess and Celebrity ships were docked that day and took us 20 minutes. The way to Le Gare (station) was well marked. There were taxis to the station available, charging a flat fee of 10 € for up to four passengers, one way.

We bought tickets at the station, 7.4 € per person round trip. The bus drivers also sold tickets. We starting queuing about 20 minutes before the bus was scheduled to leave, and that proved to be a good thing because there were too many who wanted to go and the bus filled to capacity. Some people were not able to get on.

It's about 20 minutes to Honfleur, a very pleasant ride over the Normandy Bridge. The bus stopped at the station in the center of the town, a few blocks from the Old Harbor. We strolled and enjoyed the historical buildings and then had a great seafood lunch on the harbor. I noticed that the tourist info office had audio guides to hire for a self-guided walking tour. There are also a couple of small museums, but they were closed that day (Tuesday).

There were two buses back to Le Havre that worked with our time in port. Again, people started queuing a little early and everyone did get on, but the bus was almost full. I should add that on weekends, there are fewer buses available.

It was a great day in Honfleur, slow and relaxing after a port-intensive cruise.

Thanks for posting this. I think we will give the bus a try on our October cruise.

Cynthia

Thanks for posting this. I think we will give the bus a try on our October cruise.

Cynthia

You're welcome! If you don't have a GPS or maps feature on your phone, you may want to find a map of Le Havre online to print off and have with you. Although there are signs to show the way to the station, it was helpful to us to have some idea of where we were heading off to. Have a great cruise!

Archived