Few hours post cruise in NO...what to do?

krkheffe

We will be in New Orleans getting off a cruise on Sunday Sept. 15th. Our flight doesn't leave until around 6pm....what should we do for the day?

I was thinking about trying to arrange transport of our luggage to the airport and maybe take a taxi somewhere...where should we go for a few hrs to get a taste of NO?? French Quarter? Bourbon Street?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Kelly

It's an easy walk (or riverfront streetcar ride) to the French Quarter. That's a great place to spend an afternoon. There are walking tours (commercial and self-guided) and lots of good places to have lunch or coffee and donuts.

Not too much is happening on Bourbon Street during the day, and it is extremely touristy, but walk down it just so you can say you have been there.

We will be in New Orleans getting off a cruise on Sunday Sept. 15th. Our flight doesn't leave until around 6pm....what should we do for the day?

I was thinking about trying to arrange transport of our luggage to the airport and maybe take a taxi somewhere...where should we go for a few hrs to get a taste of NO?? French Quarter? Bourbon Street?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Kelly

Last year, DH and I didn't fly out until after 5pm. So, we used KLM/Advance Check In luggage service. After you go thru customs with your luggage, they were right outside the door with a sign. I had read up on some reviews and while there was one person who complained, a majority of the people loved the service. So we used them. You give them your luggage, tell them when your flight is, and pay them. They take your luggage to the airport for you. I think its up to 4 pcs for like $25 or something. You'd have to check the website or call them to be certain.

Anyway, you leave your luggage with them, and you can then take a short walk (5 minutes) to the Riverfront streetcar and it will take you to the French Qtr. They tell you ahead of time what time they will pick you up and where. Normally they pick up right in front of Café du Monde. When we were there, there was some type of traffic situation and our driver called us on my cell phone about 1 hour before pickup time and said to avoid the traffic and possible problems he was going to pick up by the end of the French market. He made sure we knew how to get there. We spent about 4 or 5 hours just leisurely walking the market and got lunch at a place called Star Steak and Lobster House, which I'm told is normally very busy, but we timed it perfectly and got right in. A very nice lunch with a very nice waitress.

Anyway, when you get to the airport, tip the driver and they tell you where to go inside to get your bags. its about 30 seconds from where they drop you off. They have a little area with gentlemen watching over the bags. You pick them up and head to security.

Hope this helps you. Like I said, there was one person who didn't like them, but we had no issues whatsoever and will use them again this November. Made is MUCH nicer and easier to visit New Orleans for a few hours without dragging luggage around and finding a cab later.

Good luck!!

Beth

Last year, DH and I didn't fly out until after 5pm. So, we used KLM/Advance Check In luggage service. After you go thru customs with your luggage, they were right outside the door with a sign. I had read up on some reviews and while there was one person who complained, a majority of the people loved the service. So we used them. You give them your luggage, tell them when your flight is, and pay them. They take your luggage to the airport for you. I think its up to 4 pcs for like $25 or something. You'd have to check the website or call them to be certain.

Anyway, you leave your luggage with them, and you can then take a short walk (5 minutes) to the Riverfront streetcar and it will take you to the French Qtr. They tell you ahead of time what time they will pick you up and where. Normally they pick up right in front of Café du Monde. When we were there, there was some type of traffic situation and our driver called us on my cell phone about 1 hour before pickup time and said to avoid the traffic and possible problems he was going to pick up by the end of the French market. He made sure we knew how to get there. We spent about 4 or 5 hours just leisurely walking the market and got lunch at a place called Star Steak and Lobster House, which I'm told is normally very busy, but we timed it perfectly and got right in. A very nice lunch with a very nice waitress.

Anyway, when you get to the airport, tip the driver and they tell you where to go inside to get your bags. its about 30 seconds from where they drop you off. They have a little area with gentlemen watching over the bags. You pick them up and head to security.

Hope this helps you. Like I said, there was one person who didn't like them, but we had no issues whatsoever and will use them again this November. Made is MUCH nicer and easier to visit New Orleans for a few hours without dragging luggage around and finding a cab later.

Good luck!!

Beth

Thanks for the info...very helpful. This is exactly what I was looking for. Did you take the streetcar other places aside from French Quarter? I am asking because you said you had to walk down the street because to meet it because of traffic.

Thanks for the info...very helpful. This is exactly what I was looking for. Did you take the streetcar other places aside from French Quarter? I am asking because you said you had to walk down the street because to meet it because of traffic.

It has like 5 or 6 stops. When you are at the streetcar stop, it'll have a chart that shows the stops it makes.

After we left the terminal, we walked about 1/2 block between two buildings to get to the tracks. No traffic there. Right there was a streetcar stop. (Im sure if you ask someone there at the port they can point the way, its not far at all.)

You can even check some of the New Orleans tourist websites and they'll show you the various streetcar lines and the stops they make. You want the Riverfront one. We got out at a little past Jackson Square if I remember and walked around the market and went to the Cathedral, and then walked all over the French quarter.

When the transfer company picked us up, we had to walk from the original pickup location at Café Du Monde up to where we got off the first time by the market. I THINK it is the last stop on the chart for the streetcar.

But you can get off of the street car at any of the stops it makes, then get back on again at that stop and go to another, or walk to another stop and get on. I think its like $1.25 each time you get on unless you pay $3.00 for all day. We only used it once to get to the quarter and walked the rest of the day. Took maybe 10 minutes to get from the port to the quarter.

It has like 5 or 6 stops. When you are at the streetcar stop, it'll have a chart that shows the stops it makes.

After we left the terminal, we walked about 1/2 block between two buildings to get to the tracks. No traffic there. Right there was a streetcar stop. (Im sure if you ask someone there at the port they can point the way, its not far at all.)

You can even check some of the New Orleans tourist websites and they'll show you the various streetcar lines and the stops they make. You want the Riverfront one. We got out at a little past Jackson Square if I remember and walked around the market and went to the Cathedral, and then walked all over the French quarter.

When the transfer company picked us up, we had to walk from the original pickup location at Café Du Monde up to where we got off the first time by the market. I THINK it is the last stop on the chart for the streetcar.

But you can get off of the street car at any of the stops it makes, then get back on again at that stop and go to another, or walk to another stop and get on. I think its like $1.25 each time you get on unless you pay $3.00 for all day. We only used it once to get to the quarter and walked the rest of the day. Took maybe 10 minutes to get from the port to the quarter.

Thanks....I really appreciate the info.

Archived