Progresso Review- 6/14/05

We just got off the Elation and had a wonderful time! After reading all the reviews regarding options in Progresso we decided to take our chances and venture on our own. The bus takes you off the pier and into the market area in town. There are many merchants set up selling their crafts. We walked to the back of the area and started asking for what it would cost to hire a taxi to take us to Dzil. After reading post on this board I knew they would do a roundtrip taxi ride for $40. However, when we first asked for the price, we were quoted $50-60 roundtrip. I told them I would pay $40 and kept walking. The guy talking to us said there were taxis further down the road that would do the trip for that. He walked us one block over and there we hired our taxi who was among a whole line of taxis just waiting around. We managed to communicate with our broken spanish with our taxi driver who spoke no english and had a lot of fun. He took us out to the ruins and waited the 2 hours for our return. While there we hired a guide for $20 who gave incredible information about the area. We topped off our trip out with a swim in the cenote. Our boys enjoyed jumping off the rocks into the water. There were many places to just walk in. Also, there are fish in the water and they loved our peanut butter cracker we had brought along. Our taxi took us back into Progresso and dropped us off across the street from the Corona Beach Bar. We actually ate at the restaurant the faces the water just across the street. (Sol's???) My husband found the $1 Corona's with the lanyards just next door. We had a really neat experience in Progresso, in that we felt confident enough to venture off on our own to see the ruins and felt we got special one on one treatment with our guide and didn't feel like we were being herded with the masses. When we got back into town it was neat to just walk around in the shops and relax and have a bite to eat near the water. We had a great day!

Archived