Thinking about Carnival Spirit in December

Hi

Firstly, I'm a bit confused if this is the right area to ask about this. Is this where Aussies and New Zealanders talk about cruising? Because there seems to be lots of people from other countries asking questions which I would have thought belonged over on the Aus/NZ destinatinaton area?

Anyway, assuming this is where we can talk, here goes.

I may be nuts, but I somehow I find myself organising a mother/daughter cruise for my year 11 daughter, four of her friends and their mums on December 5. We plan on each mum and daughter sharing a cabin.

I would be really grateful for some answers and/or advice.

The 5 girls will be aged 16 and 17 (end of year 11) Can I be reasonably confident that that they won't be able to buy alcohol if we let them go off by themselves to the nightclub (or whatever) at night? (We haven't had problems with them before but there is always a first time)

Would it be safe for a bunch of young girls out on their own at night? (providing they use their common sense, stick together, watch their drinks etc)

Its an 8 day cruise. Would that mean 2 "dressy" nights? Is there a theme night at all (Hawaiian?)

Which dinner sitting would you recommend? I assume we could get a table for 10?

Any advice from other parents?

Am I actually nuts?

Firstly- these days there are lots of OS people cruising the South Pacific and Aust coast, so that's why they all post here.

As for buying drinks. Their cruise card should indicate that they are minors but there is nothing to stop "others" buying them drinks.

I would assume there will be 2 "formal nights" - one on the way over and one on the way back. According to previous posts Carnival "formal nights" in Oz are not as formal as many other lines.

Dinner settings are a personal taste thing - why not ask them and majority rules.

I am sorry I cannot assure you that the girls will be safe but many teenagers are drinking at that age as many are already working or working part time and can buy their own drinks. I wish you well and hope you all have a great cruise

Hi

Firstly, I'm a bit confused if this is the right area to ask about this. Is this where Aussies and New Zealanders talk about cruising? Because there seems to be lots of people from other countries asking questions which I would have thought belonged over on the Aus/NZ destinatinaton area?

I may be nuts, but I somehow I find myself organising a mother/daughter cruise for my year 11 daughter, four of her friends and their mums on December 5. We plan on each mum and daughter sharing a cabin.

The 5 girls will be aged 16 and 17 (end of year 11) Can I be reasonably confident that that they won't be able to buy alcohol if we let them go off by themselves to the nightclub (or whatever) at night? (We haven't had problems with them before but there is always a first time)

Would it be safe for a bunch of young girls out on their own at night? (providing they use their common sense, stick together, watch their drinks etc)

Its an 8 day cruise. Would that mean 2 "dressy" nights? Is there a theme night at all (Hawaiian?)

Am I actually nuts?

Hi Sam,

I can enlighten you some more.

Firstly, we just got off the Carnival Spirit 2 weeks ago. It was great and you will love it. The entertainment and food was great. This was our first cruise on Carnival and we really enjoyed it. They do some things differant to what we have experienced before, but I would jump on her tomorrow if I could.

There were 500 kids on our cruise, with 100 of them under 10. And it wasn't school hoildays, so a lot of parents took their kids out of school to do the cruise. But, your girls will have a ball...there will be plenty of other kids on board for them to meet and the cruise line organises some great kids/youth clubs...you won't see much of them. They eat together, have the nightclub reserved just for them at certain times, film nights, etc.

In regard to buying drinks...they couldn't with their cruise card. It will signify they are a minor and they will not be able to buy alcohol. If they did, the cruise line could get into big trouble.

I would have no hesitation is saying they will be safe. Our kids have cruised with us in the past and we have had no worries at all. They were coming home as we were getting up!!!!!

There will be 2 formal nights and we had a Hawaiin and a cowboy themed night. Our cruise was 10 night.

I agree with didiaust and see what everyone wants to do in regard to eating. We took anytime dining and ate when we felt like it. There was about a 20 minute wait about 7.30pm though, but apart from that, it was fine. The early sitting (5.45) was too early for us and the late sitting was too late. Anytime worked good. What you can do is elect one and if it doesn't work, see the Matrai de and she will change it for you.

And no, you are not nuts.....all of your queries are reasonable.

Book it now!

(hope this helps)

Russell.

Thanks - thats quite reassuring about the girls' cards not enabling them to buy alcohol.

I am cruising to Alaska in August, and have been doing all my research on Alaska in the Ports-of-Call area which is there just for this purpose. Last year I did research in the Caribbean port-of-call area.

Of course I am aware that lots of people from overseas cruise around Aust/NZ! But what I do not understand is why their questions are here (an area for cruisers from Aust/NZ) rather than the Aust/NZ port-of-call area.

I really don't want to sound pedantic, and I am very grateful for the feedback, but I don't think Didi understood what I was on about.

Hi

Am I actually nuts?

You are definitely not nuts, it sounds like a fun trip and they'll have a ball. They definitely won't be served alcohol, whether they would be able to convince someone else to buy it for them is another matter. I would have a word to them all before hand about how serious this matter is and that they and the person buying it for them could be removed from the ship.

I think you need to be aware that there isn't a curfew on Spirit, (or if there is it isn't policed). On other ships I've been on Security would start sending under 18s back to their cabins at a set time (midnight or 1 am or something). This doesn't occur on Spirit, and personally I wouldn't want my teenage daughters wandering around the ship after that hour. I would also try to get cabins close (ish) together so the girls can return back to them in a group.

I would say it's reasonably safe, and your point about common sense, sticking together and watching their drinks is very valid, the same as what they would do on land.

The main place I saw this age group at night on Spirit was all squished into the hot tub together, it looked like a cauldron of teenagers.They were having a great time and not causing any trouble.

Either time for dinner would be fine, and you'll be able to get a table for ten.

Thanks Cat,

Yes, I think we will set them our own curfew as a group. Part of the reason each girl is sharing with her Mum is so that we can keep tabs on whether they are back home safe in bed.

Archived