Those back from their Baltics cruise on the Star, I want to know everything!

drsb

We are less than a month to go and I am excited to visit all the new places! Tell me everything!

First and foremost, did you really NEED any local currency or could you pay with CC and tip in USD or your local currancy?

Copenhagen: We will have one full day and two partial days. What are the must sees? I don't want to tire ourselves out before we step on board. We were thinking of doing the hoho boat and the segway tour to get a feel for the city, then maybe go to Tivoli at night and go into one museum.

How easy was it to get a taxi to the ship? Will they take credit cards?

We are signed up with SPB tours for all 5 cities, just to make it easy on ourselves. Did any of you do that? What did you think?

How was the ship? Which are the best nights to eat in the MDR vs the pay restaurants? We plan on eating at Moderno, Cagney's, LaBistro and LaCucina. We also enjoy Blue lagoon and would consider trying Ginza. Do they have the sushi bar on the Star? I love having so many options on NCL. What shows or acts are not to miss?

What was the mix of passengers? There are only a handful of people on the CC roll call, so I assume there is a fairly international group of people.

Shopping - how was it? I want to get some sweaters/mittens/hats in Tallin. What can I expect for prices? DH wants a soviet style fur hat. Again, price? I also collect Christmas ornaments where ever I travel. I prefer handcrafted ones. Suggestions? Best place to buy Vodka in each country?

Any hints or tips or hidden gems would be appreciated.

thanks!

Deb

Sorry, another question, when in port, did you stop for lunch, and if so, how much did it cost? I am trying to figure out how much local currency to bring with me.

Living in Helsinki I must tell you that like in Stockholm, we do have government controlled alcohol monopoly, so in Finland only place to buy Vodka togo is "Alko" and in Sweden it's "Systembolaget".

Swedes are famous for Absolut Vodka, we have Finlandia Vodka or more local barley based booze, Koskenkorva, (usually 64-76 proof) which actually can't be called vodka because the making process involves adding some sugar for taste (EU regulations).

In Russia I highly recommend getting a bottle of Russki Standart (Russian Standard), IMO that's one of the best that they have.

Happy vodka hunting! :D

Is it a round trip to CPH? If it is, either book a taxi for the return to the airport or take the bus NCL offers ($30pp). The queue for taxis when coming off the ship was horrendous. Even at 10am, when I expected most people to be long gone!

Note that the NCL bus only drops off at CPH Terminal 2, but you get a nice little (free) tour of CPH on the way out due to the route the bus driver takes (though no guide commentary)! :D

Archived