Activity ideas for disabled Mom

Smb117

Hi! I am taking my Mom on her very first cruise and she requires mobility assistance. She really wants to see Cozumel, go to Diamonds International and walk on the beach. There are no excursions available through Carnival that would allow her to just visit a beach with no other activites involved. My questions are:

1. Is there beach access near the port where I can take her out on the sand?

2. Can anyone recommend other activities for us based on her depending on a motorized scooter or walker around town?

I just want to make sure her first cruise is great! Thanks ahead of time for the help!

My wife uses a manual wheelchair and we have been to Cozumel a number of times. We normally go to the town square and "walk" around looking in the numerous shops and usually have something to eat while people watching. We wander away from the square itself and find some interesting things. The local market, not crafts, is a few blocks from the square and if you have never been to one it is an experience seeing the fish and animal carcases for sale. The major impediment you will encounter downtown is the lack of curb cuts and if I remember correctly one or two steps to get into some of the shops. Mexico seldom has ramps. There are a numerous silver shops with interesting pieces. We travel throughout Mexico and have found some unique pieces in the shops of Cozumel.

We can not do sand so we avoid the beach. We have normally been to Cozumel with Holland American and actually walk into town. Most of the walk is along the Ocean and it actually passes the Dolphin experience so you can stand at the gate and watch people interact with the Dolphins. I think Carnaval uses a different Dock so I do not know if it is walking distance. Will find out next week when we visit on the Conquest. Are with our daughter and son in law so will probably hire a driver and find a nice restaurant overlooking the ocean and relax listening to the waves as we do on our Mexican land vacations.

If you're on a Carnival ship that docks at Puerta Maya, the entire pier area is accessible by wheel chair and there is a small sandy beach right there. Mostly shopping, similar trinkets like you'll find downtown. Obviously DI is there. Also Los Cinco Soles has an outlet there and a smaller version of their Pancho's Backyard restaurant with decent food and strong margaritas in a covered patio/courtyard with nice view of the pier. No need to hassle with taxis to downtown and then with the more aggressive vendors around the plaza.

If you're on a Carnival ship that docks at Puerta Maya, the entire pier area is accessible by wheel chair and there is a small sandy beach right there. Mostly shopping, similar trinkets like you'll find downtown. Obviously DI is there. Also Los Cinco Soles has an outlet there and a smaller version of their Pancho's Backyard restaurant with decent food and strong margaritas in a covered patio/courtyard with nice view of the pier. No need to hassle with taxis to downtown and then with the more aggressive vendors around the plaza.

EXACTLY the information I was hoping to get!! Thank you so much!!:)

Archived