Getting around in Cozumel

Smb117

I have rented a motorized scooter for my Mom to use while we cruise ship and might try to use it at port as well. I have questions about getting around in Cozumel and I am hoping for suggestions, assistance:

1. Would it be a good idea for use to use the rented motorized scooter in Cozumel (already checked and the rental company allows it)?

2. How accessible is Cozumel for people with mobility issues?

3. Any suggestions/ advice on getting around and activities for my Mom?

4. Will the battery last long enough to use the scooter while in Cozumel?

Thanks for the help! I want to make sure we are prepared before leaving for the trip!

I have rented a motorized scooter for my Mom to use while we cruise ship and might try to use it at port as well. I have questions about getting around in Cozumel and I am hoping for suggestions, assistance:

1. Would it be a good idea for use to use the rented motorized scooter in Cozumel (already checked and the rental company allows it)? Yes it's ok to take off the ship. However never leave it attended as your mother will be responsible it it's stolen. Also always take the key out of it even if the scooter is in your sight. WIth that said I've taken my rental scooter off ship many times.

2. How accessible is Cozumel for people with mobility issues? Curb cut outs are limited. Many of the shops do not have a zero threshold thus not allowing the scooter to be driven into the shop. However there is a shopping area adjacent to the pier that tends to be more suitable for mobility scooters.

Thanks for the help! One's weight and the speed the scooter is driven depends on how much battery time you will get. Generally speaking if the scooter was prperly charged the night before it should be OK. Suggest that the scooter be driven at the lowest speed to maximize battery life. Also keep on eye on the battery meter located on the tiller. If you see the needle dropping and approaching into the yellow zone start heading back to the ship. I want to make sure we are prepared before leaving for the trip!

Enjoy the cruise !

1. Would it be a good idea for use to use the rented motorized scooter in Cozumel (already checked and the rental company allows it)?

2. How accessible is Cozumel for people with mobility issues?

Thanks for the help! I want to make sure we are prepared before leaving for the trip!

Yes you can take the scooter off in Cozumel, there is a shopping area in the port that is pretty accessible. Whether or not I would go any farther than that area would depend on if your Mom is able to walk or take steps at all. You may get into situations that there is not a curb cut or possibly get stuck. You might need to be able to lift or move the scooter to get out of certain places. That can be very difficult sometimes.

We take a manual wheelchair and a power wheelchair for my son when we cruise. He uses the power all around the ship, however we don't trust taking anything powered off the ship. He is not able to walk or stand at all and we just don't like the possibility of getting stuck in any way in port. We can always maneuver his manual, but not a power, it's just to heavy.

Have a wonderful cruise!!

Cozumel is far from being 100% accessible but DW did a lot of it in her folding wheelchair and me pushing. We used Jerry the legendary taxi/tour guy. About the only place DW couldn't go to was the Mayan ruins.

Yes you can take the scooter off in Cozumel, there is a shopping area in the port that is pretty accessible. Whether or not I would go any farther than that area would depend on if your Mom is able to walk or take steps at all. You may get into situations that there is not a curb cut or possibly get stuck. You might need to be able to lift or move the scooter to get out of certain places. That can be very difficult sometimes.

We take a manual wheelchair and a power wheelchair for my son when we cruise. He uses the power all around the ship, however we don't trust taking anything powered off the ship. He is not able to walk or stand at all and we just don't like the possibility of getting stuck in any way in port. We can always maneuver his manual, but not a power, it's just to heavy.

Have a wonderful cruise!!

This seems like the best idea...called her Dr just now for a transport wheelchair! Thanks for the advice!:D

This seems like the best idea...called her Dr just now for a transport wheelchair! Thanks for the advice!:D

Oh no don't get a transport chair. The wheels are to small to maneuver around. You want a regular wheelchair, with big wheels in the back. I would imagine you could get a regular manual wheelchair dropped off on the ship, as well as the scooter if you are using a rental.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a power chair full-time and I was there last year and didn't have any problems. The shopping areas at the dock should be no problem at all. We went to a place called Buchannos Beach club for lunch and it was no trouble either. Then we went to the Mayan ruins at San gervaiso . By going off the path and around some of the buildings, I was able to see most of the ruins, but it was rough. Very rough. We didn't spend much time actually shopping in town but we did go to a store called Mega, it's kind of like a Walmart. It was very open and accessible and I would imagine that most of the newer restaurants and things in town are. We drove down several of the back streets and there were curbs everywhere in front of the shops and very very few curb cuts, only on the corners. So if you stay in the newer sections, you probably won't have much trouble.

Oh no don't get a transport chair. The wheels are to small to maneuver around. You want a regular wheelchair, with big wheels in the back. I would imagine you could get a regular manual wheelchair dropped off on the ship, as well as the scooter if you are using a rental.

I fail to understand the negative attitude towards a transport chair. We just returned from cruise exploring Cozumel and Roatan using my wife's transport chair; larger back wheel 12". We were able to go everywhere without problems. We have been using transport chairs for over ten years and have explored every Carribean port, many cities in Eastern Europe and have even been able to do the Mayan ruins in Belize. Only place we have not been able to get to is deep sand areas. For gravel paths, by going backwards we have full accessibility even on rough grass terrain. Cobblestone streets are doable. Advantage of transport chair is that it is very lightweight and folds down into a very compact footprint that will fit into trunk of even compact taxi. From our experience, there is no downside to a transport chair.

I fail to understand the negative attitude towards a transport chair. We just returned from cruise exploring Cozumel and Roatan using my wife's transport chair; larger back wheel 12". We were able to go everywhere without problems. We have been using transport chairs for over ten years and have explored every Carribean port, many cities in Eastern Europe and have even been able to do the Mayan ruins in Belize. Only place we have not been able to get to is deep sand areas. For gravel paths, by going backwards we have full accessibility even on rough grass terrain. Cobblestone streets are doable. Advantage of transport chair is that it is very lightweight and folds down into a very compact footprint that will fit into trunk of even compact taxi. From our experience, there is no downside to a transport chair.

Well consider yourself lucky. We have had several different transport chairs for my son through the years, and have never had good luck traveling with them. We have been stranded with broken wheels, and wasted a great deal of time searching for alternate pathways and routes to get around, as the wheels would not go over the surface. It is hard enough usually in a regular wheelchair. I thing most disable persons that can not walk at all, would never rely on a transport chair while on vacation or in a foreign place without back up available. JMHO and my experience. However I'm glad that it has not been a problem for you, and hope your luck hold out:)

I assume your wife has a high pain threshold. I cannot imagine dealing with a manual wheelchair anywhere not evenly paved. My back and neck cannot stand the bouncing, whiplash of neck as you maneuver over things. Also just me, but while I understand the worry of being stranded for a 100% non-walker I do not see the benefits of having no control over where you can go, or spending a vacation pushing an adult everywhere when they could drive themselves in comfort.

I assume your wife has a high pain threshold. I cannot imagine dealing with a manual wheelchair anywhere not evenly paved. My back and neck cannot stand the bouncing, whiplash of neck as you maneuver over things. Also just me, but while I understand the worry of being stranded for a 100% non-walker I do not see the benefits of having no control over where you can go, or spending a vacation pushing an adult everywhere when they could drive themselves in comfort.

You are entitled to your opinion regarding the advantages of a scooter. It is however presumptuous of you to make assumptions regarding my wife's pain thresholds or how we prefer to spend our vacation time in each others company. Some of the advantages of the transport chair, the high end model we use over a scooter are:

1. The transport chair can fit into any vehicle including our PT cruiser while based on some of your posts, your scooter is difficult to store in the trunk of a compact car.

2. In contrast to your scooter, the transport chair can be stored in any room thus not requiring having a handicap room simply because the cruise line does not allow scooters to be stored and charged in the hallway.

3. The absence of curb cuts and high sidewalks, in Merida Mexico they were a foot tall, are not an impediment when using a transport chair. I tilt the chair and we are on the sidewalk in 10 seconds. Could you travel through Merida with your scooter?

4. We often spend 8-10 h out and about exploring the destination we are in by foot. Although I do not know if a single battery charge would be sufficient for a full day at Disney or walking the Malecon in Mazatlan, I prefer not to have to worry about this issue and rely on manual power which has the additional advantage that I, the pusher, fulfill my excercise quota in a pleasant way maintaining my cardiac health.

4. My wife has MS and she is extremely sensitive to heat. On our recent trip to Roatan, she stood up and got into the van we hired for our excursion. After sitting in the shade at a West End restaurant for two hour she was unable to transfer into the Van. The guide and I had to physically lift her into the Van. In her case after a full day exploring a hot destination or for that manner simply sitting poolside, she would be unable to drive the scooter or for that matter keep from falling off. Obviously in contrast to your medical problems, people with my wife's medical issues who have been in a hot environment could not

drive themselves in comfort.

I could go on but I think I have made my point; it presumptuous of you to assume that your physical problems are typical of all those who require mobility assistance and thus your solution is the optimal and based on your tone the only one. The transport chair works for us and I encourage everyone to consider if it will work for them based on their medical condition.

Maybe what you call a "transport chair" is not what we are thinking about (chair with small wheels that you can buy at a drugstore). Certainly there are manual wheelchairs that can be customized to the user's size and needs, including an appropriate seat cushion, elevating leg rests, head rest, etc. that can be folded to stow in a vehicle.

Maybe what you call a "transport chair" is not what we are thinking about (chair with small wheels that you can buy at a drugstore). Certainly there are manual wheelchairs that can be customized to the user's size and needs, including an appropriate seat cushion, elevating leg rests, head rest, etc. that can be folded to stow in a vehicle.

This is exactly what I am thinking about. It has 12" wheels in back and smaller wheels in front. They are sold in drugstores but as I said, we purchase the top of the line model. We have one which is a Nova 330 I believe which is $200 from Amazon and the other was obtained through insurance from a medical supply store. Insurance paid more than the cost of the one from Amazon. They are used right out of the box without cushion, headrest etc. They have bicycle style handbrakes. We use the Nova more as it has a higher seatback which provides full back support. Materials are similar if not identical to those purchased at drugstore. With our heavy duty usage we need to replace them about every three years as parts, brake mechanism, pins holding footrest etc, are beginning to fail and we do not want to deal with failures during trips.

Once again, I do not understand why people on these boards can not accept the fact that a transport chair can provide, depending on each individuals medical limitations, an excellent way to travel.

Has your wife been professionally fitted for a wheelchair? PTs and PTAs are taught that a chair should meet each individual's needs for maximum function, comfort, stability, safety, and protection of body structures. A transport chair is recommended only for short trips on smooth surfaces, like getting from a car to the doctor's office.

This is exactly what I am thinking about. It has 12" wheels in back and smaller wheels in front. They are sold in drugstores but as I said, we purchase the top of the line model. We have one which is a Nova 330 I believe which is $200 from Amazon and the other was obtained through insurance from a medical supply store. Insurance paid more than the cost of the one from Amazon. They are used right out of the box without cushion, headrest etc. They have bicycle style handbrakes. We use the Nova more as it has a higher seatback which provides full back support. Materials are similar if not identical to those purchased at drugstore. With our heavy duty usage we need to replace them about every three years as parts, brake mechanism, pins holding footrest etc, are beginning to fail and we do not want to deal with failures during trips.

Once again, I do not understand why people on these boards can not accept the fact that a transport chair can provide, depending on each individuals medical limitations, an excellent way to travel.

I certainly don't want to get in your business, and if your transport chair works well for you then by all means use it, however just in case you are unaware I wanted to mention that there are regular manual chairs on the market that are light weight, collapsable, and will fit into a trunk. These chairs can be fitted to fit your wife and give her possibly more comfort and protection, as well as be much easier for you to push. If she hasn't tried one she may be very surprised at the difference it may make for her.

I clearly see the passion you have towards your wife and I admire you both for not letting difficult circumstances stand in the way of enjoying your life. I know first hand what its like to travel with someone that has mobility issues and it isn't easy.

I certainly don't want to get in your business, and if your transport chair works well for you then by all means use it, however just in case you are unaware I wanted to mention that there are regular manual chairs on the market that are light weight, collapsable, and will fit into a trunk. These chairs can be fitted to fit your wife and give her possibly more comfort and protection, as well as be much easier for you to push. If she hasn't tried one she may be very surprised at the difference it may make for her.

I clearly see the passion you have towards your wife and I admire you both for not letting difficult circumstances stand in the way of enjoying your life. I know first hand what its like to travel with someone that has mobility issues and it isn't easy.

Thanks for the information. Comfort does not seem to be an issue for her. She often falls asleep in the transport chair when we are sitting by the pool. Many times in a restaurant, she actually chooses to stay in the transport chair rather than transfer to a chair by the table as she feels her transport chair is more comfortable. She actually has refused getting a cushion.

Although many have stated that a transport chair is more difficult to push, I have not found it a problem except on very steep hills where I do have to stop. The advantage to me of the transport chair is I will burn more calories than with an easier to push chair and therefor get to eat more. Another advantage is that since there are no wheels blocking access to the frame, one of our grandchildren can ride on my wife's lap while the other rides on to the side of the chair. Only time my wife gets upset with this arrangement is when we are on the top of a hill and the grandchildren start screaming let go, let go. So far, I have always tried to keep my wife happy and do not let go.

Another advantage is that since there are no wheels blocking access to the frame, one of our grandchildren can ride on my wife's lap while the other rides on to the side of the chair. Only time my wife gets upset with this arrangement is when we are on the top of a hill and the grandchildren start screaming let go, let go. So far, I have always tried to keep my wife happy and do not let go.

Having more than one person in the wheelchair or transport chair is a serious safety risk. Wheelchairs and Transport chair all vary in weight capacity. If the weight of your wife and the 2 grandchildren exceed the chairs approved weight capacity you are placing everyone in harms way.

Having more than one person in the wheelchair or transport chair is a serious safety risk. Wheelchairs and Transport chair all vary in weight capacity. If the weight of your wife and the 2 grandchildren exceed the chairs approved weight capacity you are placing everyone in harms way.

We need the grandchildren so they can hold the dogs leash as he pulls the transport chair down the road. Much less of a safety hazard than if we simply tied the leash to the chair!! By the way, the tensile strength of the leash exceeds the dogs pulling capacity so we do not have the safety hazard of the dog escaping and chasing someone in a safe acceptable mobility device.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We need the grandchildren so they can hold the dogs leash as he pulls the transport chair down the road. Much less of a safety hazard than if we simply tied the leash to the chair!! By the way, the tensile strength of the leash exceeds the dogs pulling capacity so we do not have the safety hazard of the dog escaping and chasing someone in a safe acceptable mobility device.

I'm sorry, I do not understand your reply. Are you being sarcastic?

I'm sorry, I do not understand your reply. Are you being sarcastic?

Yes I am. I found the safety comments about as useful as the safety warnings on ladders indicating a danger of injury due to falling. It is unnecessary to state what is just common sense! Just for the record this is the second day of a 14 day land vacation in Mazatlan Mexico. Have probably pushed transport chair 3-4 miles without problems including lack of curb cuts in some areas with six inch curves. For the record, the government of Mazatlan has over the last three years made a major record to repair side walks and install curb cuts turning the tourist zone into one of the most accessible areas of Mexico we have been to. It is now a safe accessible beautiful destination which I encourage all to visit by land or by sea.

• 3 weeks later...

I do not walk at all and I love visiting Cozumel. There is a van equipped with a lift and a ramp at Nachi. I just get into one of the regular chairs and they tote me on the beach. A waiter brings me food and drinks all day. I feel catered to. its amazing!

Archived