10 hours to do something?

jaxfl

In Belize is there a good or would you recommend a ruins tour being that we have never been before and have about 10 hours to do something?

Comments please, Thanks:

A ship sponsored ruins tour to Xunantunich would whittle those 10 hours down pretty fast.

Ship excursions to Bannister Island or Goeff's Cay (assuming they still to that one). would brreak up the day nicely and still leave you with time to shop a bit or grab a couple of cold Belkins at the tender pier.

Cave-tubing with zip lining by a private vendor like cavetubing.bz or CavetubinRUs can cover a good chunk.

A water taxi to Caye Caulker, assuming you catch the right one--especially returning--is also a good way to see something other than the pier.

Actually, you have less than 10 hours. Last tender susualy leave an hour beofre ship sail time (20 minute tender ride). Plus the ride in. so you're down to nearly 8.

1) The bus ride can be long, depending on the traffic. Btu the bus is nice, A/C, recline individual seats and has a toilet, if needed. You do get to see a bit of the country. It's poor and dotted with small settlements and lots of local bars.

2) The crossing of a small river via hand cranked ferry is an interesting experience. And there is a small group of local market crafts by the ferry stop where you can buy things (probably cheaper than in the Tourist Village at the tender pier).

3) The ruins are impressive if you've never seen Maya ruins. Unlike Tulum, you can climb around on the ruins and at the top of the highest temple you can get a great view of the countryside, including Guatemala.

4) Lunch is the typical Belizean chicken rice and beans. But it is good. It's at a local hotel in San Ignacio. They have ice cream there and you can buy Belkin beer.

5) Nap time on the return.

6) If you aren't delayed by traffic, you will have time to shop and look around the Tourist Village, maybe even go to the crafts mart outside the gates when you get off the bus.

7) If you are delayed by traffic, beyond the last tender time posted, the ship will hold or send a tender for you. Do this private and get delayed and you could miss the ship.

8) Lot sof people who have seen Altun Ha, closer to Belize City, Xunantunich and Lamanai, think Lamanai is the better ruins to see. But it is equally as far away as Xunantunich and you need to take a boat up a river to get there. Ships don't sponsor tours. So if there is any delay....

Whatever you decide to do, go with an open mind in learning mode and enjoy.

Thanks for the response. I think you are correct about going with the cruise ship on a tour this long (7+hours)....never know what can happen. The only RUINS tour on the Dream at Belize is to Xunantunich for $89.99 pp. And with it being a tender port I sure don't want to have to swim out to the boat if the tour is a little late.

Crewsweeper's post gives a great run-down of the Carnival Xunantunich tour. I loved every minute of it. The two hour bus ride flew by, great guide kept us entertained, and the countryside is beautiful. Loved climbing to the top of the tallest temple. It was kind of a bucket list item for me. I've read a couple places that the Belize government may be closing all the ruins to climbing in the near future so glad I got to do it while I can.

Unlike a lot of folks, I've always felt very comfortable in Belize once outside of Belize city and don't think it's all that poor (but I see worse poverty near me in Appalachia so maybe I have an odd perspective.)

Archived