Le Galion then shopping question

Hi. We are planning to spend 4 or 5 hours at Le Galion then head back to the port to do some shopping. I've never been to St Maarten so not sure where to have the taxi drop us off for shopping. We want to get back to the port but I'm getting confused by things I'm reading. Should we ask to go to the boardwalk area or downtown Phillibsburg or are these the same area? Also, from the shopping area will we need to take a water taxi back to the cruise ship? Thanks!

Ask the taxi to drop you at the Courthouse, it's a main taxi stop and right in the center of the shopping action along Frontstreet.

The Boardwalk is a block over, along the beach, and is mainly bars and restaurants.

You can grab a Water Taxi back to the Cruise Facility or just walk, probably 20 minutes or so to the main gate.

BTW, they are improving the road into le Galion, so taxis should be much more willing to take people there soon.

th_DSCN3622.jpg th_DSCN3625.jpg

(click)

gary

Thanks for the advice Gary. I'm hoping you (or anyone else) can help me out again. We had originally decided on Le Galion but now I'm second guessing our decision, not sure why. This will be the first time to St. Maarten for the 3 of us (all females, 31, 25, 16). I've seen you suggest Orange Fever on Orient and I have a friend who keeps trying to get me to try Mullet bay. We really just need a beach to relax at and water to cool off in. I'm also worried about safety and that may be why I'm second guessing Le Galion, thinking it may be a little too secluded? I know this is getting long winded but one more question, our ship docks at 7am and we plan on getting off by 8am, will taxi's be readily available then? Thank you so much for all your advice!

Thanks for the advice Gary. I'm hoping you (or anyone else) can help me out again. We had originally decided on Le Galion but now I'm second guessing our decision, not sure why. This will be the first time to St. Maarten for the 3 of us (all females, 31, 25, 16). I've seen you suggest Orange Fever on Orient and I have a friend who keeps trying to get me to try Mullet bay. We really just need a beach to relax at and water to cool off in. I'm also worried about safety and that may be why I'm second guessing Le Galion, thinking it may be a little too secluded? I know this is getting long winded but one more question, our ship docks at 7am and we plan on getting off by 8am, will taxi's be readily available then? Thank you so much for all your advice!

You may be right that the beach will be quiet at 8:30 but Le Gallion is not secluded. It's 300 yards or so off of the main road to Orient. There is a restaurant with washroom facilities and a water sports rental area and chair and umbrella rentals. It is a faviorite beach of the residents of the island. There will be people at Orient at 8:30 though and I think Andy and Cheryl serve breakfast at that time. Many people walk Orient Beach on the morning so I agree that this is the safest choice although I have not heard of any morning incidents at the other two beaches.

Mullet will be quiet at 8:45 as well but by 9-9:30 it will pick up.

Taxis will be available when you get off of the ship.

We've never been to le Galion that early, but wouldn't hesitate to do so.

We often arrive at Orient around 9:00 and things are definitely awake there, though I can't recommend Andy and Cheryl's. Have a nice breakfast on the ship.

If you're not locked in to le Galion, I'd definitely suggest Orient, and even Orange Fever, but take a look around when you get there.

Orient offers numerous choices of bar/restaurant opportunities, and Mullet is limited. Transport is quick and easy where Mullet could be a problem.

When you come home and said "We went to Mullet Bay Beach" it wouldn't carry that little wink of "We went to Orient, it's clothing optional, you know" would it? :)

Taxis will be available whenever you get off the ship.

gary

I've been to both Orient and Le Galion. If you want calm water and a more relaxing atmosphere, I'd vote for Le Galion. I also think it is closer to the cruise port than Orient if I'm not mistaken. I did like Orient 7 or so years ago when my dh and I went on a cruise ourselves, but I hadn't been to Le Galion yet . . .

We just happened upon Le Galion at the suggestion of our taxi driver. I, too, was a little nervous when we began down that unpaved (this was 5 years ago) road, especially since we had young kids with us and it was the driver's idea . . . Anyway, it was awesome. The water is clear and beautiful. It isn't great if you want wave action, but for relaxing, swimming, etc. it is awesome. There is a bar and restaurant with bathroom available. I highly recommend it for a relaxing, non-party atmosphere beach day.

Have a great cruise.

Koohiichan

I've been to both Orient and Le Galion. If you want calm water and a more relaxing atmosphere, I'd vote for Le Galion. I also think it is closer to the cruise port than Orient if I'm not mistaken. I did like Orient 7 or so years ago when my dh and I went on a cruise ourselves, but I hadn't been to Le Galion yet . . .

We just happened upon Le Galion at the suggestion of our taxi driver. I, too, was a little nervous when we began down that unpaved (this was 5 years ago) road, especially since we had young kids with us and it was the driver's idea . . . Anyway, it was awesome. The water is clear and beautiful. It isn't great if you want wave action, but for relaxing, swimming, etc. it is awesome. There is a bar and restaurant with bathroom available. I highly recommend it for a relaxing, non-party atmosphere beach day.

Have a great cruise.

Koohiichan

Thank you so much for your insight. Le Galion sounds a lot like what we are looking for.

Thank you so much for your insight. Le Galion sounds a lot like what we are looking for.

I love, love, love LeGalion and have been there on both of my cruise stops this year. You might want to hold back a little though and plan on a 9:30 arrival as it will feel pretty deserted until then and I know that this was a concern to you.

Are you by chance cruising on Oasis of the Seas? I will be on the ship and stopping in St. Maarten on Wed...trying to decide on what beach to go to and how to get there as well!! We are a group of girls too, almost 12, 42, 59 and 65!! Just wondered if we'd be traveling together on the ship!!

Stacie

Are you by chance cruising on Oasis of the Seas? I will be on the ship and stopping in St. Maarten on Wed...trying to decide on what beach to go to and how to get there as well!! We are a group of girls too, almost 12, 42, 59 and 65!! Just wondered if we'd be traveling together on the ship!!

Stacie

No, we are on Carnival Dream. I think we will be following each other around, Nassau (Sunday), St Thomas (Tuesday) and St Maarten (Wednesday). From everything I've come across Le Galion seems to be an ideal beach, looks absolutely beautiful and I like the fact that it's not built up. If I see a group of that matches your description I'll be sure to say hi! Enjoy your trip.

No, we are on Carnival Dream. I think we will be following each other around, Nassau (Sunday), St Thomas (Tuesday) and St Maarten (Wednesday). From everything I've come across Le Galion seems to be an ideal beach, looks absolutely beautiful and I like the fact that it's not built up. If I see a group of that matches your description I'll be sure to say hi! Enjoy your trip.

Yes, that's our itinerary also!! We will be going to Le Galion beach in St. Maarten...I've decided to do the taxi's instead of a guided tour. We're going to go to Marigot first, stop by Grand Case and then to the beach.

Maybe we'll see ya'll somewhere along the way!!

Enjoy your trip...Stacie

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we ended up sticking with our original plan of Le Galion and we were soooo glad we did! It was absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately, it was overcast and rained off and on, just a few minutes at a time though. The sun did peak out here and there. We never felt unsafe. Our taxi driver did not want to come back for us so we just went up to the restaurant/bar and asked them to call one for us. They asked for a $10 deposit to call and when the taxi arrived we got the money back. We had rented chairs from them and bought a couple drinks. She said the deposit was so we would get in the taxi she called for us and not a random taxi that happened to be there. When the taxi arrived they came over & told us and handed me my $10 back. I wish the sun would have been out more but we really did enjoy ourselves. Thanks for all the advice!

Well, we ended up sticking with our original plan of Le Galion and we were soooo glad we did! It was absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately, it was overcast and rained off and on, just a few minutes at a time though. The sun did peak out here and there. We never felt unsafe. Our taxi driver did not want to come back for us so we just went up to the restaurant/bar and asked them to call one for us. They asked for a $10 deposit to call and when the taxi arrived we got the money back. We had rented chairs from them and bought a couple drinks. She said the deposit was so we would get in the taxi she called for us and not a random taxi that happened to be there. When the taxi arrived they came over & told us and handed me my $10 back. I wish the sun would have been out more but we really did enjoy ourselves. Thanks for all the advice!

Glad to hear that you had an enjoyable day. What time did you arrive at Le Galion and were people renting chairs when you arrived?

Our ship was a little late getting to port, by the time we got to Le galion it was about 10am. There was one other family there (they didn't rent any chairs) when we 1st arrived but they left shortly after we arrived. Right after we arrived a few more families showed up but that was it, maybe a total of 15 people including us! It was our own slice of paradise, very peaceful.

Our ship was a little late getting to port, by the time we got to Le galion it was about 10am. There was one other family there (they didn't rent any chairs) when we 1st arrived but they left shortly after we arrived. Right after we arrived a few more families showed up but that was it, maybe a total of 15 people including us! It was our own slice of paradise, very peaceful.

This is good to know and as I thought. LeGalion would have been deserted at 8:30, the original time that you were hoping to get to the beach by. Orient would have been a better choice for you at that time of the day. Perhaps since the whole road in to Le Galion is paved it too will be busier.

When the kids are off in the summer this beach can get really busy and loud in the afternoon.:). It's a fun loud though. :). Weekends are another busy time at

Le Galion as the islanders love this beach.

So there were no chair rentals? I really wanted to go there. How long did it take to get there from the port? We are on Dream for Wed July 3rd. Do you know how far Maho is from there. Wanted to try and see a few planes land before going back to port.

We rented chairs, they were $5 a piece. They had umbrellas available but we didn't rent one so I'm not sure of the price on those. It took about 20 minutes from the cruise port. We just walked up to the taxi queues & stood in the line for orient. We told them we wanted to go to Le Galion & they put us in a van with people going to Orient but dropped us off first. I'm not sure how far Maho is, I'm sure someone else will have the answer though.

So there were no chair rentals? I really wanted to go there. How long did it take to get there from the port? We are on Dream for Wed July 3rd. Do you know how far Maho is from there. Wanted to try and see a few planes land before going back to port.

LeGalion and Maho are quite far from each other. It will take 45 minutes and possibly even longer to get from Le Galion to Maho around noon ish. The best combo with Maho is Mullet. They are a 10 minute walk from each other.

what did you do to get a taxi back to port? Thanks for the info!

Our taxi driver did not want to come back for us so we just went up to the restaurant/bar and asked them to call one for us. They asked for a $10 deposit to call and when the taxi arrived we got the money back. We had rented chairs from them and bought a couple drinks. She said the deposit was so we would get in the taxi she called for us and not a random taxi that happened to be there. When the taxi arrived they came over & told us and handed me my $10 back. We had the taxi drop us off in downtown Phillibsburgh for shopping then just walked back to the ship. It wasn't a bad walk, maybe 10-15 minutes and there were a lot of people walking that way with us.

LeGalion and Maho are quite far from each other. It will take 45 minutes and possibly even longer to get from Le Galion to Maho around noon ish. The best combo with Maho is Mullet. They are a 10 minute walk from each other.

I believe this time just going to Maho and Mullet. Guess I will save LeGalion for next time. Thanks for the info!

I believe this time just going to Maho and Mullet. Guess I will save LeGalion for next time. Thanks for the info!

Mullet is a beautiful beach so don't feel that you are giving anything but time in a taxi up.:)

Archived