Best souvenirs to get if time is limited

rkmom

We are probably not going to have much time to shop due to cave tubing excursion time, but I would like to get one or two things if possible. What shops would be easy to get to but have a range of things to buy (inexpensive) for souvenirs.

I collect shot glasses, my daughter wants keychains. I like to have some sort of thing I can use for an ornament for the Christmas tree. Or just something to have to remind us of our trip.

So, if I just have a few minutes, where would you recommend I run to?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Kim

We are probably not going to have much time to shop due to cave tubing excursion time, but I would like to get one or two things if possible. What shops would be easy to get to but have a range of things to buy (inexpensive) for souvenirs.

I collect shot glasses, my daughter wants keychains. I like to have some sort of thing I can use for an ornament for the Christmas tree. Or just something to have to remind us of our trip.

So, if I just have a few minutes, where would you recommend I run to?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Kim

Hola rkmom,

There are several shops at the tender dock that sell the required souvenirs. I found a gorgeous hand carved tucan, and Miss Ginger found her thimble. Yes, I know a thimble is a small, worthless thing, but that is what she collects. After 34 years of matrimonial bliss I have learned to let her do what she wants (like I could stop her anyway). We tubed with Wet & Wild and made it back to the dock about 45 minutes before the last tender.

Oh, by the way, check the labels on any clothing that you might want. Miss Ginger found a dress that had latino origin in every thread, a beautiful little number with big flowers and bright colors. It was made in CHINA!:eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Belizians make beutiful carvings from rosewood. I bought a letter opener (which is on my desk in front of me as I write) and a small sailboat, cleverly assembled from three or four individual pieces. I remember seeing gorgeous cutting boards made from different color woods and regret not buying one. You should be able to find these in the shopping area near the tender docks.

You can also buy this at the pier. The shops at the pier are kind of like the "authorized" tourist shopping area. There are dozens of shops with everything from ***** to to tee shirts. Like any tourist shopping area, you sometimes have to question whether something is actually local craft or mass produced elsewhere. But, from what I remember, the quality and variety of stuff was pretty good. Can't vouch for the cashew wine, however, since I didn't try it. My wife wasn't very impressed though. It will score high on novelty factor.

Archived