Deep Sea Fishin Kona With Kids

Cruise Arizona

My kids both got it into their heads VIA my DH that they want to go deep sea fishing in Kona. What are your thoughts and recomendations??/

I just keep picturing that woman that was Oprah. They had home video of her deep sea fishing. Her companion caught either a swordfish or sail fish and as they were getting it in the boat the thing jumped and squewered her through the chest. Luckly it pierced her cilicone breast implant, which once puntured sealed the wound and off her lung puncture, other wise she would have blead or nearly suffocated.

I'm implant free, so if I get squewered by a sail fish I'm toast.

Serioulsly, I've seen a couple of boats and crews that specialize in family deep sea fishing. Will the kids be bored? Will we get seasick. Are we better off going on driving tour of Kona? Will we catch fish???

Did you see the video with the big fish peircing that woman's chest. I think it happened in Mexico.

I was joking about that happening, I'm not really worried about that, it was just an incredible video.

Anyway, I'm thinking that we would want to go after the smaller fish like the Mahi Mahi, you know the eat'in fish, not the "mount on your wall" fish.

I found the names of several tour operators online and have sent e-mails. One already wrote back that he is booked for the day we are in Kona, but he was nice enough to suggest another captain to try.

My kids and husband seem pretty gun-ho about this whole thing, so It looks like this will be what we are doing. Should be fun.

Spleen,

LOL, yes I've never heard of mahi mahi causing damge, but marlin yes.

Anyway, I e-mailed a couple of tour boat operators. On wrote back that we would be going after the 20-50 lb mahi mahi and others in that range, but he said that every once in a while a big Marlin will come in to that depth level and chomp on a lure. It would be exciting to catch something that big, but it is not really our plan. He said that we would even get some bait fish and go after the 3-10 lb fish for the kids.

I found one company that will do a 6 hour combo fishing and snorkel trip. Here's what he wrote me:

"The trip fishing to Kealakeua Bay will take about 2 hours. Then we have a break for snorkeling in one of Hawaii's pristine marine preserves. It is usually very calm, prtected and with lots of Marine life. Between snokeling, having lunch checking out the dolphins in the bay, we will be looking at about 2 hours there, then 2 hours of fishing while returning to the harbor. As we travel both directions you will be in close enough to the coastline to sightsee, and I will point out anything of interest as we go. We will also be looking for whales."

That sounds pretty good, but it is expensive, $475 for the whole family.

We are going to way our options and make a decision on what we want to do this weekend.

Suzanne

Hawaiian Eye - LOL!

Suzanne - at that size range, there's a lot to potentially catch - you might catch mahi (dorado), ono (wahoo), or ahi (yellowtail tuna). Were you planning on taking your catch home to eat? Make sure with the fishing boat operator about who owns the fish when you catch it. Usually, it belongs to the boat. But deals can always be made.

Spleen

:confused:

We probably won't be eating or taking home the fish we catch. Not that big a deal as we'll probably have plenty to eat on the cruise ship.

I think the cruise ships used to let you bring the fish on board and have the chef prepare them for you, but it is my understanding that they are no longer doing this. It would be nice if there was a restrant we could take a few filet to and have them cooked up for us before we leave. The kids would enjoy that.

The charter captain I have been e-mailing did say that he cold accomodate our low carb diets with low carb wraps instead of sandwhitches. So that is on the positive side, we'll be able to eat the lunch provided.

But as far as those wonderful fish we'll be catching...

we'll really be just doing the catching for the fun of it. Who knows we may catch a 5 ft Marlin, then we'll have to get it mounted and shipped home to us in AZ, right??? That probably would cost more than the charter. How do you think a Marlin would look in my Santa Fe style house?

We are going to be weighing all our options for Kona over the weekend. Tonight my husband and I are going to have a bottle of wine and review all of our excursion options.

We are thinking about this none too early, on of the captains I contacted is already booked for that date.

Archived