Easiest Way to Get to Vancouver from Victoria?

Next year, DH and I want to spend a few nights in Victoria prior to our cruise leaving Vancouver. I am hoping the hassle of schlepping luggage from Victoria to Vancouver will be worth the effort. That is DH's only complaint about travel --- if it wasn't for the luggage handling, life would be perfect, etc.

We won't have a car in Victoria. I've been doing some research and it appears Pacific Coach may be our best option on embarkation day. They leave downtown Victoria at 9 am, Swartz Bay (BC Ferry) at 11 and arrive at the cruise terminal around 1:45 pm. Our ship leaves at 4:30 so I am hoping this transportation option is fairly reliable.

So, how much hassle is it with the luggage between the two buses to/from the BC Ferry and then getting on the ferry? The Pacific Coach website says:

Please ensure that your luggage is tagged correctly with a Pacific Coach "Cruise Ship" tag in addition to your Cruise Line luggage tags. For those passengers joining Pacific Coach onboard BC Ferries please ensure you bring your luggage to the ticket counter onboard the ship to ensure your luggage is tagged properly.

Since we will be getting on Pacific Coach before the ferry, can anyone tell me how baggage handling works in this instance?

Also, I assume we will pay an additional fare for the BC Ferry above the Pacific Coach fare. Do I have that right?

You will be getting on the bus in Victoria, not "joining on board" so you don't need to worry. Your luggage will be put in bus luggage hold in Victoria and not taken off until you arrive at cruise terminal. Pacific Coach is you best and easiest way to get to Vancouver.

Pacific Coach Lines is a very reliable service and the Cruise Ship transfer is extremely popular with lower Vancouver Island cruisers. Once you check you luggage with them you won't have to touch it again until you reach Canada Place where you will be just feet from the luggage porters. It is very seamless and your fare does include the BC Ferry Fare.

It is possible to do this via public transit cheaper but it means handling your luggage 3 times, riding a transit bus with your luggage between your legs or out in the aisle all the while trying to keep it from rolling down the aisle and then schlepping it 3 blocks from the Waterfront Station to Canada Place ... all of which sounds like something you would like to avoid.

Archived