Is it all going horribly wrong ?

ToadOfToadHall

I can't speak for Louise but I think what she was referring to is that different cultures have different behavioural expectations in relation to a lot of things. I don't know how widely travelled you are but you'd be amazed at how different cultures have different norms for :

• talking in movies
  • the necessity to queue - or not
  • appropriateness of spitting in public
  • showing the soles of bare feet - considered rude in some cultures

So if one is going to be on a cruise ship and the majority of people are from a different culture, it will change the atmosphere on board. That's not an assumption, that's a fact.

I have traveled enough to know that Americans talk in movies and spit, certain European countries don't queue, and bare soles I don't worry about seeing as long as I don't barge into some other couple's stateroom. ;)

How do you like this sari? It cost a small fortune;)

QM2APRIL2012009.jpg

Pink chiffon with turquoise sequins 6 metres long which is what a sari measures.

Bought on Ebay from a seller in London cost about £25 plus a further £15 for the underneath pettycoat. Bangle $1 for 25 in Cochin.

Great bargain for a one off event, although I may give it an outting on QE next year. :)

Beautiful! I wish more passengers would ethnically expand their wardrobe, whether their own heritage or appreciating that of others.

I can't speak for Louise but I think what she was referring to is that different cultures have different behavioural expectations in relation to a lot of things. I don't know how widely travelled you are but you'd be amazed at how different cultures have different norms for :

• talking in movies
  • the necessity to queue - or not
  • appropriateness of spitting in public
  • showing the soles of bare feet - considered rude in some cultures

So if one is going to be on a cruise ship and the majority of people are from a different culture, it will change the atmosphere on board. That's not an assumption, that's a fact.

I would simply say that I have a better cruise experience with a more balanced mix of nationalities on board.

I would simply say that I have a better cruise experience with a more balanced mix of nationalities on board.

Ah, but balanced is in the eye of the beholder, isn't it? For example, we might find the current sailings balanced but entire continents are unrepresented. I have found very few passengers from Africa or Asia on crossings and even World Cruises.

Ah, but balanced is in the eye of the beholder, isn't it? For example, we might find the current sailings balanced but entire continents are unrepresented. I have found very few passengers from Africa or Asia on crossings and even World Cruises.

Depends what sector. Singapore to Hong Kong 2013 QM2 had a large Hong Kong Chinese component.

Thank you for all the nice compliments about the Sari.

What I forgot to say was I had no idea how to wear it so I went on

YOU TUBE and sure enough, there are plenty of videos to show you. However, I have to say it was not an easy task, so next time I may get a Cunard member of staff to help me. There are few lovely Indian ladies working away on board;)

It was fun dressing up as Mrs Ghandi for the night:)

Thank you for all the nice compliments about the Sari.

What I forgot to say was I had no idea how to wear it so I went on

YOU TUBE and sure enough, there are plenty of videos to show you. However, I have to say it was not an easy task, so next time I may get a Cunard member of staff to help me. There are few lovely Indian ladies working away on board;)

It was fun dressing up as Mrs Ghandi for the night:)

You-tube is a font of knowledge for clothing - particularly for tying a bow tie :D

So Australians don't shout when in a group.

Too much of a generalisation here -- most do, however not at certain times. It is certainly done between good friends, sometimes between "just acquaintances" and sometimes not at all under some circumstances (cruising being one of those times) . However - even this is probably too much of a generalisation as someone here will surely point out to me .

Barry

Archived