confused

dan40

Princess use a 2 letter designator for internal communications, reservations and IT systems throughout the fleet. In some cases the designator defies any logic. The complete fleet list is:-

Caribbean CB

Diamond DI

Golden NP ???

Grand AP ???

Sapphire SA

Star TP ???

Coral CO

Dawn DP

Island IP

Sea CP

Sun SP

Pacific PA

Regal GP ???

Royal RP

Tahitian TA

and the Crown will be CZ

I prefer to always use their full name - more dignified!!!

The initials CP were already in use for the Coral Princess..so the board adopted CB for the Carribean Princess.
You're correct, and as carltonda states, the board didn't make it up but rather used the Princess internal coding. :) This way, if someone asks a question about the "CP," we know it's the Coral Princess and likewise, a question about the "CB," we know it's the Caribbean Princess.

What is funny is, I only use the initials for Caribbean Princess, the rest I just use their name, ie: Golden, Grand, Star, etc.:) During a past life, I had to memorize the airport codes, some made sense - BOS (Boston) and some didn't YUL (Montreal)

Northender' date=' Was once told by a reliable source ORD in Chicago stems from the fact that before it was an airport, it was an orchard. Go figure :confused:[/quote']

Yes, ORD does stand for "orchard"... however I heard that the Orchard family owned the airport.

Okay, so what's the excuse for New Orleans being MSY?

What does MSY stand for?

MSY stands for Moisant Stock Yards. Before the airport was built, an early aviation pioneer crashed a small plane on the property--John Moisant.

What does MSY stand for?

MSY stands for Moisant Stock Yards. Before the airport was built, an early aviation pioneer crashed a small plane on the property--John Moisant.

Now that's an interesting trivia fact, unless of course you made it up. :D

Try CVG for Cleveland, IAH for Houston, BNA for Nashville. I just think aviation types are crazy.

CVG stands for "Covington," that being the nearest city of any size when the airport opened in 1947.

IAH Houston Intercontinental Airport HIA was taken by Harrisburg International Airport so they swapped letters! (or Hamilton take your pick!)

http://www.skygod.com/asstd/abc.html

No more just click above!

Archived