Any info on Molokini?

H20 Lover

(This is beachchick)

Definitely do it in the morning. As Spleen mentioned, the winds kick up in the pm. In fact, I'd change Spleen's "may" be too rough to "usually are" too rough.

beachchick

I wasn't crazy about the snorkeling there; and it was in the morning. YMMV. It takes a long time to get there (probably 1/2 hour on the bus and 1/2 hour on the boat). I thought the snorkeling was better at Kona's beach - Kahaluu, also called Turtle beach. It's just a $15 taxi drive there, so we shared and saved money. They have rest rooms, refreshments, etc. If you go there, be sure to wear beach shoes into the water, or be very careful. It's lava.

I went out on one of the morning excursions last month to Molokini. The snorkeling was OK, but definitely not outstanding. I had more fun on the boat with the group I was with, and the BBQ lunch was pretty good. I was on Maui for a few days post cruise, so I also snorkeled from the beach a few times around Kihei and Wailea. The snorkeling was just as good from the beaches, and I saw turtles. The beaches I went to had rocky areas close by where there were plenty of fish to see. If you are on the cruise, try snorkeling at Kealakekua Bay south of Kona on the big island. It was awesome!

I agree with everything all of the previous posters have said. I was not very impressed with Molokini, and wish I would have spent the day doing something else on Maui. I'm a self-proclaimed snorkeling fanatic, but would rate this excursion in my "lower half" of experiences in Hawaii. Just MHO though! Others seemed to have loved going there. BTW - we did do our tour in the AM as well, with Four Winds.

Archived