Solo on RCI

Orangeguy

I don't see too much about solo trips with RCI here on the boards. I'd love to hear your experiences (good and bad) sailing solo on RCI. This would be my first solo cruise, my first RCI cruise, and my first TA.

I'm a little apprehensive because I can be a bit introverted sometimes so the idea of meeting people is a little worrying. I had read somewhere that they do have a singles event the first day. What have you done (other than join the CC Roll Call :) ) to meet folks when you sail solo.

I am a huge RCI fan and have done lots of solos on their ships - had a great time on all of them.

I don't go to the "singles" events as I am married (hubby doesn't like to travel) but find I meet tons of friendly people in various places - usually couples who adopt me, but often friend or family groups, too.

This includes, but is not limited to: dining room (I like a table for 2 by myself but often chat with tables nearby), in the theatre, at the buffet, sitting on deck, on shore excursions, etc - the vast majority of RCI cruisers are very nice (and it's easy to avoid the "exceptions" to that rule).

If you are a reader, it's amazing how many conversations start when people ask what I am reading? (I carry a book or my e-reader everywhere.)

Another tip is when you see people taking pictures of each other (couples or a group), offer to take a picture for them - vast majority take you up on it, plus often offer to take one for you, if you have a camera handy as well. Either way, it's a great conversation starter?

Have a great cruise, hope this helps a bit........

I feel like a solo cruiser, since my "kids" in their 20s typically do their own thing. I often only see them at dinner. I have one more cruise with the kids this summer for the burial of my husband's ashes as sea per his request, and then I will be a solo cruiser. I have 45 points on Carnival and 52 on RCL (also tried Celebrity and NCL), and I'll probably stick with RCL for my solo cruising since its customer loyalty plan seems better than Carnival's.

Anyway, since I've spent most of my last cruises pretty much as a solo cruiser, I can confirm conuk's advice. When I've felt like talking to people, I've usually found it pretty easy to start to talk to someone nearby. There are a lot of people who are on their own for parts of the day or at specific events, and it has seemed easy to start conversations. I've also had people on the RCL Meet N' Mingle boards offer to "adopt" me as their family member. I also carry a book or my ereader with me everywhere, and am happy to read anyway. I have eaten dinner alone at the Windjammer a few times with my book, and been perfectly happy.

I admit that it also feels lonely at times, but I think that's from seeing other couples enjoying cruising (especially couples my age...) and being a widow. I refuse to let myself get stuck in pity-party time though.

I see from the Compasses that have been posted for our ship (Allure) that there's a singles meet-up at bars almost every day, for an hour or so. It looks like a lot of them are scheduled before dinner, which could facilitate meeting up to make plans for the evening. I don't know whether that singles group would be for young people or older singles, and will peek this August when I'm on-board (too shy to join in LOL).

I know that cruising solo on RCL will be fine from my prior cruises with RCL. I may book a solo cruise for the Fall, provided I can get the time away from work. I have one of those bosses who has a panic attack when I talk about taking a vacation, so that might be difficult. If there's another cruise line that could be good for solo cruising (not sure about NCL though - I wasn't crazy about my only cruise on the NCL Sun), please let me know and I'll check it out!

I cruised Carnival solo and they sat me with other solos for dinner. I was on Allure last year and had anytime dining. We always asked for a large table and sat with several solos through the week. So if you choose anytime on RCCL there should always be some people who will want to share a table and be sat with you. And we did keep seeing them on the ship later in the week and always did stop to catch up with our new friends.

My very first solo cruise was with RCI. I had a great time, and met a lot of people. It obviously went well and didn't put me off as I am going on my 5th solo cruise in a few weeks!

People get a solo mindset where you can only speak to other solos - rubbish! There are plenty of groups/families/couples who are happy and willing to chat to new people too.

There's a link in my signature to my solo review on Liberty of Seas if it's of any interest.

Happy cruising :D

Orangeguy - which TA are you taking on RCI? I'm doing two of them this fall and the roll calls are unbelievable. Both TA's have web sites with member names, hotels, travel plans, activities, and excursions. Solo's are arranging dining tables. I know I will have a fantastic time. All you have to do is make an effort and join in - sign up for everything you're interested in.

My very first solo cruise was with RCI. I had a great time, and met a lot of people. It obviously went well and didn't put me off as I am going on my 5th solo cruise in a few weeks!

People get a solo mindset where you can only speak to other solos - rubbish! There are plenty of groups/families/couples who are happy and willing to chat to new people too.

There's a link in my signature to my solo review on Liberty of Seas if it's of any interest.

Happy cruising :D

Lara, I loved reading your reviews! And thanks for the great tips. It seems you had no trouble meeting people, but that you were also quite happy to relax and enjoy a good book, which is exactly what I'm hoping for (and the reason I want to take a Transatlantic).

I noticed that you did your first solo with RCI and then all NCL since then. I'm curious why. Was it just about schedule/iteneraries or was there something you prefered about NCL? Personally, I was initially drawn to the Epic because of the Studios. I really like the concept and it seems that it was well implemented, but the price difference was tremendous between the Epic and Liberty. Plus RCI offers Choice Air, which is providing a really great deal, on the one-way transatlantic airfare, which is normally quite pricey.

Lara, I loved reading your reviews! And thanks for the great tips. It seems you had no trouble meeting people, but that you were also quite happy to relax and enjoy a good book, which is exactly what I'm hoping for (and the reason I want to take a Transatlantic).

I noticed that you did your first solo with RCI and then all NCL since then. I'm curious why. Was it just about schedule/iteneraries or was there something you prefered about NCL? Personally, I was initially drawn to the Epic because of the Studios. I really like the concept and it seems that it was well implemented, but the price difference was tremendous between the Epic and Liberty. Plus RCI offers Choice Air, which is providing a really great deal, on the one-way transatlantic airfare, which is normally quite pricey.

I'm glad you enjoyed them!

For my first cruise I was torn between Liberty and Epic, but the reason I went with RCI over NCL was because I wanted a more traditional cruise then NCL's freestyle concept, because that was what I knew from cruising with my family, so would offer a bit of familiarity. I was also worried about having no-one to eat with at dinner so I wanted the security of a set, large table.

NCL Jade was purely based on price, the fact that the itinerary was fairly local to me for some sun during winter, and the dates fitted with my leave from work. It wouldn't have been my choice of ship but it worked for my at that time.

My first Epic trip was to try the Studios, so I could meet other solos and benefit the lack of single supplement. The second was because I had so much fun the first time round!

However as you will now see in my signature, I'm sailing with MSC next month. This is again partly down to cost and itinerary, but I actually didn't even consider NCL in my search, though I looked at almost every other line! This was not because I didn't like NCL, but because I would like to return to traditional dining with leisurely, several course meals, which I really missed on my last Epic cruise. Not that you can't sit down in the MDR on the Epic, but often people would tag along even though they weren't really eating, just so they didn't lose the group. Also people would rush off to make their show reservations, so the whole atmosphere of eating a nice meal in a proper restaurant was lost somewhat. I also had the impression that some people felt uncomfortable dressing for dinner and eating at a 'fancy' place.

As you picked up on, I don't find it too hard to meet people, but I do like some alone time. The Epic is great for solos who might be a bit shy and struggle to meet others without the Studio lounge and meetings, or if they like to have company a lot of the time. Although I loved the group of friends I made, a few times I had to keep plans to myself or make my excuses and sneak off so I could be by myself for a bit!

It will also be nice to have some semblance of a dress code, so my proper Fashionista outfits can make an appearance again :D I'm already planning away!

That's not to say I won't travel with NCL again, I'm sure I will, but I just like to mix it up and for now I fancy a change. MSC will certainly be that.

I suppose it all depends on what you want from a cruise and what is important to you, keep that in mind and you can't go too far wrong. I say go for it with Liberty and as long as you go with a mindset that you are going to enjoy yourself, and you stay positive, I'm sure you will have a great time :)

I agree with this completely!! One of the best tables that I sat with was me with 4 other couples. We were all about the same age and had lots to talk about. I am still email buddies with one of the couples.

Janet

Well I did it! I booked the October 27th Transatlantic on Liberty of the Seas as a solo. The CC Roll Call is quite large, with a number of solos on there.

While I'm still a little apprehensive, I was afraid I'd kick myself later for not taking advantage of a 13 day cruise for $725 as a single with a $200 OBC. The deal was just too good to pass up, especially since I've been wanting to take a TA.

Archived