Getting cash while onboard (Celebrity) for independent tours

mary_228

Most independent tours I am considering quote prices in USD, and expect payment in cash at the time of the tour. In lieu of carrying thousands of dollars into Chile with us, I hope to obtain cash onboard. I have a few questions:

1) Do the ATMs onboard offer different currencies?

2) I will need $500-700 per excursion so I am worried about limits of withdrawals. Does anyone recall if this is a problem? The ATMs on our last sailing ran out of USD for several days.

3) Many posts here reference a need for "crisp new bills" which can hardly be assured coming out of the ATM. Is this really necessary?

I suggest you now ask the tour operators what the payment amount would be in local currency in case you want to use ATMs to get local currency. It would likely be contrary to law for any local tour operator to refuse payment in his country's legal tender and to insist upon payment in foreign currency.

Keep in mind that if you are touring in Argentina there is a black market for cash whereby USD will exchange for about 50% over and above the official rate of exchange. Consequently, all tour operators in Arg will quote prices in USD. When you ask any of them for the price in local currency it will be calculated on the black market rate of exchange. It will not be what you would expect by converting at the official rate of exchange.

Most independent tours I am considering quote prices in USD, and expect payment in cash at the time of the tour. In lieu of carrying thousands of dollars into Chile with us, I hope to obtain cash onboard. I have a few questions:

2) I will need $500-700 per excursion so I am worried about limits of withdrawals. Does anyone recall if this is a problem? The ATMs on our last sailing ran out of USD for several days.

3) Many posts here reference a need for "crisp new bills" which can hardly be assured coming out of the ATM. Is this really necessary?

I always take along USD travellers checks and cash them on board. Never had a problem.

• 5 months later...
I suggest you now ask the tour operators what the payment amount would be in local currency in case you want to use ATMs to get local currency. It would likely be contrary to law for any local tour operator to refuse payment in his country's legal tender and to insist upon payment in foreign currency.

Keep in mind that if you are touring in Argentina there is a black market for cash whereby USD will exchange for about 50% over and above the official rate of exchange. Consequently, all tour operators in Arg will quote prices in USD. When you ask any of them for the price in local currency it will be calculated on the black market rate of exchange. It will not be what you would expect by converting at the official rate of exchange.

I am so confused by this concept. All of the tour operators want cash in Argentina. I will be taking taxis and buses, purchasing chairlift tickets, etc. along with the occasional tour company. If I get Argentine pesos from the shipboard ATM or even a landside ATM, I would be making a mistake? Are you saying I would get a better deal by paying in USD where accepted?

• 2 weeks later...

YES, very necessary, we are going to the bank and getting our cash very soon. From experience I know you definitely new, unmarked bills.

I always take along USD travellers checks and cash them on board. Never had a problem.

When did you last use travelers checks? I have read that due to forged checks many places, especially overseas will not accept travelers checks anymore. I read it just before our cruise this past summer to the Baltics. We did use ATM machines everywhere and had no problem, but the cash was the in the currency of the country that we were in. We used to use travelers checks and then had to pay fees to cash them. So we quit, and use Chase credit card no foreign fees on conversion of money for the charges. We also take cash and keep it on our bodies until on the ship to put into the safe, never have a problem. Our tours are not $700 each though, are you having a private driver tour, for just the two of you? We are doing tours of 6 to 12 people and it is much more reasonable for us. Mary

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

We are facing the same dilema for our cruise next month. All the operators what USD.

Personally, I would not use the ship's ATM unless absolutely necessary. At times it will be out of cash (for extended periods). In addition, it charges additional fees over and above what your bank or credit card company charge.

In terms of traveler's checks, it's almost impossible to find them in Missouri anymore. None of the banks sell them and neither does my local AAA office.

While I'm not thrilled about it, I'm taking enough USD with me (in new, crisp bills) to cover all the tours. any local currency I will need, I'll pull from an ATM with a credit card.

If you're going to use a credit card to get $$ from an ATM, make sure you have the pin. :)

There is a black market for USD in Argentina. Arg pesos are not accepted in most places outside of Arg, so residents seeking international travel need to acquire USD to be able to travel. The government only allows residents who prove they are going to travel outside Arg to purchase unrealistically small amounts of USD at the official rate. It makes international travel impossible for most Argentines. They need to acquire hard currencies in order to travel (and as a hedge to beat inflation which is running at about 35-40% per year).

The official rate of exchange is about 6.5 pesos to 1 USD. That is , if you pay for something (anything) with a credit card, you will be charged 1 USD for every 6.5 pesos of the local peso price/cost (with fees for foreign currency transactions further adding to your expense). If you change your USD at a travel agency or jewelry shop (or anywhere else where USD are commonly traded) you will now get at least 9.5 pesos for each USD.

Likewise if you get Arg pesos from an ATM you will get only about 6.5 pesos for each of your USD (minus ATM and foreign currency transaction fees further reducing the amount of pesos you will receive for each USD). Rather than get the lower official rate, you can get the black aka blue rate for cash. Today's rate is 9.85 pesos for 1 USD. See http://www.ambito.com/. It changes every day. Expect to get a few cents less than the published price. I will likely trade at 9.65 today.

To get the best black market rate it is frequently said one should bring "clean crisp" 100 dollar bills to offer. That is something of an exaggeration - clean 100s will do, they need not be "new or crisp" though that wouldn't hurt. Your hotel bartender, bellboy, or lobby merchant may be able to steer you to a "cueva" aka exchange house. Travel agencies and jewelry shops frequently make change. Don't be dissuaded by a sign saying "we don't make cambio." That is just for show.

When buying any large ticket item including fancy meals always ask first how much the seller will give for your dollars if you pay with such cash. Euros are also traded at a premium, but not as great as that for the USD. Some merchants will trade for the blue rate even if you don't buy anything. They want to travel outside Arg sometime in the future and they don't want to hold rapidly devaluing pesos. Bank interest on pesos deposits is unrealistically low.

Tour operators are required by law to accept pesos. If they quoted a price in USD and you insist on paying in pesos they will convert that USD quoted price to pesos at the blue rate. That is probably illegal . It is definitely illegal for renters of accommodations (including hotels) to insist on payment in other than Arg pesos. Moreover, it is illegal for renters to convert the rental price at the blue rate of exchange when making the conversion from USD quote to pesos price. It is understandable for tour guides to quote in USD for tourists who have USD and not unfair if you agreed to that price. Nevertheless, it is your right to insist on paying in pesos and, like renters of accommodations, it is likely the law that tour guides must convert the USD price at the official rate. If you ever get into a squabble with the guide because you think he has misrepresented the service he was to provide, you can use the law as a tool to renegotiate. It may help resolve disputes.

Edited by pmacher61

When we have used ATM on the ship you will pay fees, making it a disadvantage to you for exchanges. We got cash in the currency of the country we were in, no choices ever. You might want to call Celebrity and ask them, be sure to ask from a person who definitely has the answer. I would recommend asking tour if you can charge in US dollars. We have Chase and there is no foreign exchange amounts.

I am so confused by this concept. All of the tour operators want cash in Argentina. I will be taking taxis and buses, purchasing chairlift tickets, etc. along with the occasional tour company. If I get Argentine pesos from the shipboard ATM or even a landside ATM, I would be making a mistake? Are you saying I would get a better deal by paying in USD where accepted?

I have read from people who have cruised there that shop owners even put a sign in their window of their shop saying what they will exchange for. Have heard it is almost double what the banks there will give. We have purchased some for our cruise in Jan. and got I think maybe 5.9 pesos to the dollar and have read you can get close to 10 pesos to the US dollar. We bought around $200 US dollars worth for taxis and small incidentals. Will charge most meals on our Chase card. We will be taking some US cash with us also, and also to pay for tours we will be on and pay in US dollars. Also, my biggest worry is where to buy the Pesos and not get mugged or get counterfiet money.

When we have used ATM on the ship you will pay fees, making it a disadvantage to you for exchanges. We got cash in the currency of the country we were in, no choices ever. You might want to call Celebrity and ask them, be sure to ask from a person who definitely has the answer. I would recommend asking tour if you can charge in US dollars. We have Chase and there is no foreign exchange amounts.

What type of tours are you taking? All of ours are around $80 to $120 US each.

We are facing the same dilema for our cruise next month. All the operators what USD.

Personally, I would not use the ship's ATM unless absolutely necessary. At times it will be out of cash (for extended periods). In addition, it charges additional fees over and above what your bank or credit card company charge.

In terms of traveler's checks, it's almost impossible to find them in Missouri anymore. None of the banks sell them and neither does my local AAA office.

While I'm not thrilled about it, I'm taking enough USD with me (in new, crisp bills) to cover all the tours. any local currency I will need, I'll pull from an ATM with a credit card.

If you're going to use a credit card to get $$ from an ATM, make sure you have the pin. :)

We travel alot and have not used travellers checks in years. Our TA said not to take them, a real hassle if you do and more than likey are not received anymore.

Please read my subsequent post at #10. A lot of bad info being posted will confuse you.

pmacher61 - What about Uruguay and Chile?

You mention that Argentina is a special case. Does that mean that you would recommend ATMs and local currencies in neighboring Uruguay and Chile? (Given an overall preference for convenience and low risk)

Edited by MarkBearSF

pmacher61 - What about Uruguay and Chile?

You mention that Argentina is a special case. Does that mean that you would recommend ATMs and local currencies in neighboring Uruguay and Chile? (Given an overall preference for convenience and low risk)

ATMs in Uruguay not only dispense Uruguayan pesos, but also dispense USD if you have a USD account tied to the card. There is no black market and if one needs Uruguay pesos, an ATM is a good way to go. ATMs generally give a good rate of exchange (now that the settlement of the class action law suits against the card issuers have required them to disclose fees etc). I have not been to Chile in a while, but I believe there is no black market for USD. The only black market is in Arg.

p.s. Go Niners.

Edited by pmacher61