Puerto Vallarta & Cabo with a child

Jewel22

Hello,

We will be sailing on Princess in November this year with our 7 year old granddaughter. We are in Puerto Vallarta from 8 am to 4 pm and Cabo from 8 am to 5 pm. She would like to snorkel, interested in seeing and maybe swimming with the dolphins and the pirate ship sounds like something she would love. All of the snorkeling excursions through Princess have a minimum age of 8. The ship does offer a pirate ship excursion in Puerto Vallarta, is this through the same company I keep reading good reviews about? Does anyone have recommendations for tour companies that offer snorkeling in either port? Also, which port is best for snorkeling, dolphins, pirates, etc? Any advice you can offer would be welcomed. This is her first cruise and I would like it to be memorable! Thank you in advance.

Julie

Hello,

We will be sailing on Princess in November this year with our 7 year old granddaughter. We are in Puerto Vallarta from 8 am to 4 pm and Cabo from 8 am to 5 pm. She would like to snorkel, interested in seeing and maybe swimming with the dolphins and the pirate ship sounds like something she would love. All of the snorkeling excursions through Princess have a minimum age of 8. The ship does offer a pirate ship excursion in Puerto Vallarta, is this through the same company I keep reading good reviews about? Does anyone have recommendations for tour companies that offer snorkeling in either port? Also, which port is best for snorkeling, dolphins, pirates, etc? Any advice you can offer would be welcomed. This is her first cruise and I would like it to be memorable! Thank you in advance.

Julie

There is only one pirateship company, so yes that is the same. They are fun for kids. The ship leaves close to the cruiseships.

Snorkeling in P. Vallarta isnot that great, unless you book a tour to the Marietas Islands. Better snorkel elsewhere.

Tours for dolphinswims will be offered on board, kids love them. I am not sure about minimum age.

Hello,

Julie

I would suggest the Pirate Ship (Marigalante) for Puerto Vallarta. A description of the day's activities can be found at http://pirateshipvallarta.com/pirate-ship-marigalante.html

Snorkeling is a part of the activities offered.

The dolphin show/interaction would be best in Cabo. It is close to the tender docks. https://www.cabo-adventures.com/tours/dolphins

Both of these activities should be booked through the ship as both vendors have a contract restriction where they can't sell direct to cruise passengers if the ship offers that excursion activity.

Enjoy!

Thank you for the replies. I read in one of the reviews for the pirate ship that there was a minimum age for snorkeling (8 or 10, I think). I guess I need to contact them and ask. If we decide to snorkel in Cabo, does anyone have any recommendations for a private company to use or is there any decent snorkeling from a beach?

We did the Pirate Ship excursion with our 12 YO DD last year and it was really fun and actually geared more towards kids your granddaughter's age. My daughter was a little too old to really enjoy it.

I would highly recommend it.

Keep in mind that when the Pirate ship gets to the beach, you have to climb down steps from the ship into a little boat, they tell you no shoes and to keep your belongings on the ship so you have a free hand for the rail. The crew is there to help you.

Something to keep in mind if you have any mobility issues.

Once you arrive on the beach, you have to climb out of the little boat into probably 2 feet of water. The crew get as close to the shore as they can and will help you out.

For us, It would have been nice to know this ahead of time.

The crew puts on a great show and they really get the kid's involved.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Hi Julie:

Two years ago we did the Pirate Ship in PV with our 11 year old granddaughter and it was fun for all of us. On shore they have chairs, umbrellas and the use of kayaks and also a banana boat. I even managed to get on the banana and had a screaming good time. The crew gets everyone involved...dancing, the play, face painting, etc. Last year we took both granddaughters and they swam with the dolphins in PV. They both enjoyed it and I think my husband had the best time of all.

Are you going on the November 23rd cruise? This year will be girls cruise for us as the two GD's (now 11 and 13) and their Mom (her first cruise) and myself will be on the Thanksgiving cruise. We are very excited as "girls only, no boys" bonding time!!

Mary

Thank you both for the information. The pirate ship excursion sounds great and I think my granddaughter will enjoy. I have left a message with them regarding the minimum age for the snorkeling.

Mary, we will be on the November 23 cruise on the Sapphire Princess. My husband and myself, both of our children and their spouses and my granddaughter. This will be the first cruise for my daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter.

Archived