Disembarkation Questions

curtdesilets

We have a relatively late flight out of Seattle on our upcoming Regatta cruise.

Questions:

1) How late can we linger on board, i.e. when do they kick us off the ship? Can we request a later disembarkation and have a lazy morning on the ship?

2) Does Oceania offer a morning tour of Seattle with an airport drop-off? Those are quite convenient usually because your luggage is in tow on the bus and you are free to explore for one last day.

Questions:

1) How late can we linger on board, i.e. when do they kick us off the ship? Can we request a later disembarkation and have a lazy morning on the ship?

2) Does Oceania offer a morning tour of Seattle with an airport drop-off? Those are quite convenient usually because your luggage is in tow on the bus and you are free to explore for one last day.

Sadly, ships "turn around" too quickly to allow any kind of leeway in the disembarkation process. You'll need to be off of the ship by 9AM, and out of your stateroom as early as possible. The staff is grappling with strict timelines, to ready the ship for the next group of passengers, and no late disembarkation is offered.

As far as the Seattle tour is concerned, we have never left the ship there, but city tours like that are generally not offered except in locations where there are no earlier flights.

Questions:

We are on Regatta now and off the ship tomorrow. Our flight is at 6:30pm. Have to be out of stateroom at 8am and everyone off by 9am. Our TA set up a tour of Seattle that is four hours, with an hour for lunch. They take our bags and then take us to airport afterwards. Oceania does not provide a morning tour, at least not on our cruise.

Believe me! there is nothing "lazy" going on those days - everyone is in hyper-mode. The crew is very busy from early morning to after the departure of the next voyage. They try to get as many of the back-to-back cruisers off the ship for the day as possible to keep them out of the way. I always feel sorry for the entire crew on those change days.

Questions:

You have to be out of your cabin at 8:00am

You have to be off the ship by 9:30am

They will walk through the restrurants and the public areas herding off the folks that are still on board after the last Disembarkation Group is called. Our last cruise, we were in the last group - 9:00am - and it was called to disembark at 8:45am.

There are two cruise ports, Pier 91 and Pier 66. Pier 66 offers a Concierge service from 7:30am to 3:30pm. They have a luggage storage service. Don't know if this will work for you. Don't know if Pier 91 has the service. The Port site has more information and contact numbers.

the Museum of Flight in Seattle is at Boeing Field, an airport that is actually between the port of Seattle & SeaTac International (the main commercial airport).

So if you decide to visit on your own, it is probably pretty easy to take a taxi from ship to museum, and then from museum to your flight.

Haven't been to the museum in years, but several relatives have been more recently & all loved it (I grew up near Seattle, back when it seemed like half my school had at least 1 parent that worked at Boeing).

We'll probably just head towards the airport. Wouldn't mind seeing the flight museum however, if we can figure out a way to.

Two Ideas:

1. If you just want to hit the Museum of Flight, they have a luggage storage on site. You can taxi out and check your bags. A visit can take 2 hours or if you read every display, it will be about 4 hours. Of course, call to confirm you can check your bags.

Visitor information for the Museum of Flight - just click on this link.

2. Rent a car at the port - Hertz and others have sites at the cruise dock. You can use the trunk to store the luggage. (Leave nothing in the car to imply that there might be anything in the trunk.) Now you can take a quick walk around Pike Place, visit the Museum of Flight, and grab some lunch. Drop the car off at the airport and off you go.

And what are they supposed to do with their luggage :cool:

Good point as always!

Two Ideas:

1. If you just want to hit the Museum of Flight, they have a luggage storage on site. You can taxi out and check your bags. A visit can take 2 hours or if you read every display, it will be about 4 hours. Of course, call to confirm you can check your bags.

What shedevil said :)

Apologies, I tend to assume museums have bag storage these days (since most forbid large bags - there are a few notable exceptions or at least used to be, for example I just checked the Borghese Gallery in Rome and apparently it now has a cloakroom).

Good point as always!

What shedevil said :)

Apologies, I tend to assume museums have bag storage these days (since most forbid large bags - there are a few notable exceptions or at least used to be, for example I just checked the Borghese Gallery in Rome and apparently it now has a cloakroom).

Unfortunately, it seemed that luggage check was not as widely available in Seattle as other cities.

Another suggestion - are you a member of one of the hotel reward programs. Many of them will unofficially extend a courtesy and hold your bags for you. It all depends on the hotel and who is in charge when you ask. We have had good luck with Hilton properties. And it doesn't hurt anything to ask. :)

So I was feeling responsible for my assumption about luggage storage at the Museum of Flight.

A human there tells me that they don't have a baggage check as such, but that if you have luggage they *can* store it securely for no charge while you are at the museum - just ask. ymmv but sounds hopeful!

Archived