What do u do with ur pets while cruising?

LiveUrlife2

Worrying about your pup could ruin your cruise.......be sure you visit your boarding options, and feel very comfortable with your choice.

Smaller boarding facilities and your groomer will recognize if any "issues", healthwise or, just missing you, immediately.

Our dogs are in a safe and secure environment, with human contact 24/7

Our Bulldogs come home happy and tired - DOG TIRED! :)

They stay at Bed & Biscuit :D

If you have pets you have no business going on a cruise.

Are you serious?

I'd go with the groomer.

My Tibetan terrier goes to a dog minder who has (by coincidence) another Tibetan. He gets loads of attention and both dogs play non-stop.

He doesn't want to come home when he go to collect him. :rolleyes:

If you have pets you have no business going on a cruise.

Really?! I hope ur kidding!

Anyway thank u everyone for answering n letting

Me know what u all do

Think we are leaning more towards the groomers

House... Even though it's a little more money I feel a

Little more comfortable knowing that he will b the only

Dog there, so her attention would b solely on my dog.

When we first started to travel after getting our dogs, we 'tested' different options were available to us and spoke to locals who also had dogs about their experiences. We made sure we were comfortable leaving them during our cruise as we didn't want to worry...

We have a pet/house sitter we've used for years. She used to clean houses and hurt her back so this still gives her income. The animals love that they can stay in their own home and still have human company and care.

Something I learned here on CC was to leave a written letter to the vet taped to the top of a carrier giving the vet instructions to do whatever necessary to cure any illness or injury and we'd settle up when we returned.

We also made the vet similar notes to be put in the animals' charts there at the clinic. So, if one is brought in and a new tech does the intake, they're aware to do all possible to help the animal. (The CC story years back was about a "friend" who had the dog she was sitting put down because she "knew no one would want to spend that kind of money on an animal!!!!!!)

Our sitter has had to take a cat in when she got sick and all the people at the clinic were impressed at how attached she was to the cat. All ended well and cat greeted us at the door on our return.

My first choice would be to get a pet sitter to stay in my house with the dog. If that's not possible, I would pay the extra to leave him with the groomer in her house. At least that way the dog is with someone he already knows who will give him lots of individualized attention. And he won't have the stress of being caged in a kennel and surrounded by other strange animals.

REALLY???

That's like saying if you have kids you have no business going on a cruise.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Ha! Reminds me of the time some crazy person on a board somewhere told me that if I had a kid, I had no business leaving him while I took a shower!:D

I am not an animal lover, but we have a cat and over the years I have developed a sense of responsiblity for him....so, I refuse to put him in a kennel for 2 or 3 weeks while we vacation. We have used pet sitters to take care of him in the past and it has worked well for us. It is expensive, but I just can't see taking him out of his home environment...he is an indoor cat with claws (ironic), and he loves to sleep on my son's bed at night. We call and check in on how he is doing and yes, we worry. The great thing is we get picutres and text messages on the regular from our pet sitter so that helps ease the mind.

Find what you are comfortable with so you can enjoy your vacation and know your pet/s are ok too.

I am very lucky to have an older teen son. With that comes all if his older teen/college friends. He always finds the one he trusts and they become second family. When we leave, I pay them well to stay here with my salt water tank, three cats and sugar glider. Still it's cheaper than a kennel. And everyone is happier when I return. We pay $20 a day plus food money. So around $30 a day. It's a bargain for that many pets.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I firmly believe that unless you can leave them with someone they know well and like (ie a friend or family member who is at your house very regularly) that the kindest and least stressful thing to do is to hire a pet sitter to come to your house 4-5 times a day, or better yet, just stay there while you are gone. This is what I do with my dogs. They would probably die from stress in a kennel (they are older retired greyhounds and don't handle change well at all).

If my son is available he takes care of them. I he'll be travelling with us or working a ridiculous amount of O/T, I have a pet sitter come in and stay. She leaves during the day for errands and what have you, but she sleeps in our guest room and and here probably 18 hours a day.

As others have pointed out leaving medical records and instructions for the pet-sitter is a good idea; it's ALSO a good idea to talk with your vet in advance...the ACTUAL VET, not a receptionist or tech...about what you would like done in cases of emergency, and how you will pay for it, and how they can contact you if necessary.

If you have a good relationship with your vet, they may well agree to treat and let you pay when you return. BUT a lot of vets have been burned over the years by people who promise to pay and then don't. So best to sort that out in advance so your animal doesn't end up being put down because no arrangements were made in advance and the vet wants payment before treatment.

Archived