Copenhagen Card? Should we?

Grandparents x 2, my wife and I, and 2 children (5 and 9).

We will stay at Copenhagen Marriott for 2 nights, then fly to Berlin for a few days and then return to Copenhagen for a night before boarding Norwegian Star - our Baltic cruise.

Flight arrives Sunday morning and technically we will have exactly 48 hours before our travel to Berlin. Dominated by kids, they picked the following attractions -

Canal Tours

Tivoli

Blue Planet (the new aquarium)

Copenhagen Zoo Den Arktiske Ring (low priority for me, not sure if it is doable)

Kronborg Slot (again, very doubted if we can do it within the timeframe)

Having said "48 hours", I guess we only have 1.5 days (especially with jetlag). Shall we buy Copenhagen Card or not?

When visiting museums etc, do we just walk through the entrance with Copenhagen Card? Or we still have to go to the ticket office to redeem the voucher/admission ticket?

We are taking Air Berlin on Tuesday around noon - does Copenhagen Card cover the train cost to Airport?

Kronborg is a 45 minute train ride north of Copenhagen so you maybe have to skip that one.

The Zoo is located in Frederiksberg only 9 minutes away from the central station with bus 6A so its absolutely doable.

The Blue Planet is best reached by using bus 5A towards the Lufthavnen udenrigs (airport, international) from Polititorvet, 3-400 metres from your hotel.

This trip takes 25 minutes

You still need to get in line go get a ticket at the attractions but normally there are small lines or none at all.

And yes the Copenhagen Card does cover transportation to the airport.

Thanks Danish Viking. I would like to clarify the following, if possible.

Zoo - from Central Station we take the bus 6A (any specific direction) and get off at the zoo. So when we are done, we take 6A back to Central station?

The Blue Planet - take bus 5A (towards Lufthavnen udenrigs) does the bus stop right outside the aquarium? Just in case we'll missed the stop :)

For Bus/Train, do we simply show our Copenhagen Cards when we board the bus/train?

Canal Tour - I've read some reviews here that there are more than 1 tour operator. How do we find out which one is covered by Copenhagen Card, and where is the best place to get on the boat (I've read there is a stop behind Marriott)?

Oooops i missed that information.

The direction is Rødovrehallen and the bus stop is just called Zoologisk have.

From bus 5A you get off at the stop called Den Blå Planet that is of course Danish for The Blue Planet.

Yes you just show the card to the bus driver.

You can use Canal Tours Copenhagen from Højbro/Gammel Strand (you can´t use Canal Tours Copenhagen from Nyhavn) or Nettobådene from Nyhavn.

Thanks Danish Viking. I would like to clarify the following, if possible.

Zoo - from Central Station we take the bus 6A (any specific direction) and get off at the zoo. So when we are done, we take 6A back to Central station?

The Blue Planet - take bus 5A (towards Lufthavnen udenrigs) does the bus stop right outside the aquarium? Just in case we'll missed the stop :)

For Bus/Train, do we simply show our Copenhagen Cards when we board the bus/train?

Canal Tour - I've read some reviews here that there are more than 1 tour operator. How do we find out which one is covered by Copenhagen Card, and where is the best place to get on the boat (I've read there is a stop behind Marriott)?

Both tour operators are covered by the card but the one (Canal tours copenhagen?) it is only free if you get on at Gamal Strand not Nyhavn. I should also note that when we got tickets at Gamal Strand it was about 4:15 and she told us the next one we could do for free was at 5:00 but then let us do the next one anyway. Not sure what was up with that since I wasn't aware of any restrictions.

On the train you just get on and don't have to show the card unless someone comes around and asks to see it.

We also got 48 hour cards which we used for transportation as well as canal tour, Blue Planet, Carlsberg, and Tivoli. Not sure if we came out ahead or not but the convenience of not having to pay for the transportation was worth it.

Thanks Danish Viking and lost in translation :)

http://www.copenhagencard.com/attractions/363/Canal%20Tours%20Copenhagen

The address on their website was:

Mindeankeret Nyhavn

1051 København K

Danmark

When I pick up the card, will I get a booklet indicating where should I get on the canal boat, etc?

According to weather.com Copenhagen is going to have a rainy week next week. Hopefully, the rain will last for too long, as our major attractions are all outdoors :P

Oh yes, any Danish food/restaurant recommendation near Marriott?

We picked up the Copenhagen Card at the airport and used it for the Metro to get to our hotel. Also for buses, Netto Baden canal tour, and many of the attractions throughout the city including Tivoli. It was well worth it and made things much easier than paying for individual tickets at each of the sites.

Is it easy to find at the airport? We decided to wait and get it there since DH is convinced he will not want to go anywhere when we arrive on Friday and I think we will :rolleyes:

Both the information desk and train ticket sales office will have the card for sale, both are located in Terminal 3 and so is the train and metro station.

For recommendations in that area i would say Cafe Ultima in Tivoli for Italian food or færgekroen or Brødrene Price' restaurant for traditional danish food.

If you don't want to eat in Tivoli then I can recommend that you go to the little square called Gråbrødre Torv where several good restaurants are located, one of the best are Bøf & Ost.

Thanks again, now counting down to our arrival in Copenhagen :)

We will pick up Copenhagen Card at T3 and take a taxi to Marriott upon arrival.

You told me before Marriott is about 10 min walk to the Central Station. When we depart, is it doable with 2 kids and 3 pieces of luggage? Can you give me some directions about how to take the train back to airport (Air Berlin)? Flight is at 2:00pm and I bet leaving Marriott at 11:30am would be safe?

It takes 10 minutes to walk to the central station and the train covers the trip in 12 minutes so it should be enough.

The airport recommends people to be there 2 hours before, but they always say that so people can use more time in the shops. :D

Thanks again, now counting down to our arrival in Copenhagen :)

We will pick up Copenhagen Card at T3 and take a taxi to Marriott upon arrival.

You told me before Marriott is about 10 min walk to the Central Station. When we depart, is it doable with 2 kids and 3 pieces of luggage? Can you give me some directions about how to take the train back to airport (Air Berlin)? Flight is at 2:00pm and I bet leaving Marriott at 11:30am would be safe?

Wowmusic

We are also staying at the Marriott. I emailed the hotel and was told they offer the 24 hour Copenhagen Card for 249 DKK and a 72 hour for 479DKK. So, if you are taking a taxi to the hotel, like us, it pays to buy it at the hotel. I hope this helps.

Both the information desk and train ticket sales office will have the card for sale, both are located in Terminal 3 and so is the train and metro station.

For recommendations in that area i would say Cafe Ultima in Tivoli for Italian food or færgekroen or Brødrene Price' restaurant for traditional danish food.

If you don't want to eat in Tivoli then I can recommend that you go to the little square called Gråbrødre Torv where several good restaurants are located, one of the best are Bøf & Ost.

Danish,

we arrive the airport at 9:50pm on Saturday. Do you think the information desk and train ticket sales office will still be open by the time we get there?

We don't have time to use the card pre-cruise. but I want to get it ahead of time, because they don't sell the card at the cruise terminal, but we want to use it to get to our hotel after disembarkation. So is it OK to pre-purchase the card and not start the clock until we use it the first time?

thank you so much for your information!

• 10 months later...

Hi Danish

You seem to have such a wealth of knowledge for Copenhagen, I thought I'd try this thread again in case you were checking it. DH and I are doing a cruise stop there this July. What would be your most recommended sights to see/do in the city? And do you think the Copenhagen Card would be worth it on such a short stop (7am-4pm)?

Thanks in advance.

Janna

We are in port for one day and have done the sums and decided it is worth if to buy the Copenhagen Card- especially as it saves us getting too many Kroner which could be a hassle.

We are docking at Langelinge- is there anywhere near there where we can buy the card or should I order it in advance.?