Queen Mary 2 Grand Caribbean - 15th December (26 Nights)

bh99mh

We are booked on the above cruise and would like to ask the following questions:

(a) Has anyone done this cruise previously and what was it like?

(b) What are the crossings to and from New York like (weather and entertainment wise)?

© Whilst in New York is there a shuttle bus to a shopping mall or would this come under 'excursions'?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

What are the crossings to and from New York like (weather and entertainment wise)?

Hi bh99mh,

Last December 15th (2012) I was on the WB QM2 transatlantic.

The crossing was fantastic, wonderful, amazing. Each crossing is special, but this was maybe (?) my best one yet! :)

The speakers in Illuminations were superb, hardly a seat to be had, they were that good.

The food was great, the atmosphere in the Golden Lion outstanding.

And, as always, the Commodore Club was a highlight of any voyage on QM2.

The best thing was the ocean! A huge storm; for the first time, I really felt QM2 move! Astounding waves, ocean spray. Wonderful!

Many, many times the windows on the lower decks looked out... underwater as a wave went past! :)

(One lady said to me "I've never had a formal dinner on a submarine before :D)

There are pictures (under "Winter Crossing") of this voyage via the link below.

I may see you on board as it was SO good last December that I'm tempted to do the crossing again this year!

Hope this helps, have a great time, Bon Voyage! :)

We did the central 12 days (NYC-Caribbean-NYC) last year and are going again this year. Lots of ways to keep busy on the sea days as the waeather gradually warms, and the Christmas atmosphere is a nice addition.

We are booked on the above cruise and would like to ask the following questions:

(a) Has anyone done this cruise previously and what was it like?

(b) What are the crossings to and from New York like (weather and entertainment wise)?

© Whilst in New York is there a shuttle bus to a shopping mall or would this come under 'excursions'?

a) I completed 19 nights Caribbean and Eastbound TA (22 Dec to 3 Jan) in 2012/13. It was a most enjoyable experience. The people on the Caribbean voyage were lively, although the TA clientele were a little less interesting.

b) The Eastbound was smooth, although table mates on the Westbound had rough seas 2 days out of NYC. Apparently the ship held her own quite well.

The entertainment was to my liking (this is subjective, like anything) - there was a good mix of soloists and large performances at night. During the day, I found the lectures both insightful and varied. We had a historian, ocean liner historian, former royal household staffer, literary critic, film star, musical producer, and motivational speaker during the 19 days. I wasn't so keen on the last one.

Also not to be missed is bingo at 1.30pm on sea days. Can't get enough of it! There is also wine/whiskey tastings, movies, planetarium at sea, spa sessions/lectures, eating, quiz show participation and spending time with new friends as you while away sea days.

Shore excursions for the Caribbean were also excellent, although some people booked private excursions.

c) There is a shuttle that takes you to Manhattan at a cost of $40.

a) I completed 19 nights Caribbean and Eastbound TA (22 Dec to 3 Jan) in 2012/13. It was a most enjoyable experience. The people on the Caribbean voyage were lively, although the TA clientele were a little less interesting.

b) The Eastbound was smooth, although table mates on the Westbound had rough seas 2 days out of NYC. Apparently the ship held her own quite well.

The entertainment was to my liking (this is subjective, like anything) - there was a good mix of soloists and large performances at night. During the day, I found the lectures both insightful and varied. We had a historian, ocean liner historian, former royal household staffer, literary critic, film star, musical producer, and motivational speaker during the 19 days. I wasn't so keen on the last one.

Also not to be missed is bingo at 1.30pm on sea days. Can't get enough of it! There is also wine/whiskey tastings, movies, planetarium at sea, spa sessions/lectures, eating, quiz show participation and spending time with new friends as you while away sea days.

Shore excursions for the Caribbean were also excellent, although some people booked private excursions.

c) There is a shuttle that takes you to Manhattan at a cost of $40.

Christmas and New Year on board is also terrific. Wonderful experiences. That half the passengers rebooked the Caribbean section out of NYC for this year says it is a great experience.

Many thanks for the feedback and it was all very positive. Pepperrn, your photographs are superb and gives us an insight as to what to expect. Looking forward to it more than ever now.

Thanks again :)

We did the central 12 days (NYC-Caribbean-NYC) last year and are going again this year. Lots of ways to keep busy on the sea days as the waeather gradually warms, and the Christmas atmosphere is a nice addition.

Yes, with temperatures around the 70s "let it snow, let it snow" constantly shouting out of the speakers on Willemstad/Curacao dock is shure an experience...

I shall never forget the night of Dec. 20/21 2009 on QM2 (last night from the pre xmas caribbean cruise into NY). Weather can be severe, yes.

50 feet waves whilst packing suitcases, temperature dropping to ice, most airports closed in the US and UK for days. What a luck that we had arranged to stay on at NYC. Others had to sleep on the airports floors.

Archived