Transatlantic with P & O in November

Keld

Hello Everyone

My partner and I have just booked up for 15nts on the Azura in November, Southamptom to Barbados. He has cruised before but I'm a first timer, so I'm trying to get as much information as possible before we go.

I'll avoid asking the million dollar question regarding Atlantic conditions in November as I understand its the luck of the draw:)

If any one would care to share their experiences of the ship, a similar itinerary or any tips that you think may be useful it would be very much appreciated.:)

Hello Everyone

My partner and I have just booked up for 15nts on the Azura in November, Southamptom to Barbados. He has cruised before but I'm a first timer, so I'm trying to get as much information as possible before we go.

I'll avoid asking the million dollar question regarding Atlantic conditions in November as I understand its the luck of the draw:)

If any one would care to share their experiences of the ship, a similar itinerary or any tips that you think may be useful it would be very much appreciated.:)

Right where to start

Have you booked you free coach transfer to Southampton?

Verona (one of the buffet restaurants) changes to an Italian waiter service restaurant at night, the food is excellent some items free and other chargeable. https://ask.pocruises.com/resources/carnivaluk/fleet/verona_example.pdf

Check in is easy on arrival to the Ocean terminal in Southampton you are given a colored card with a letter on it and a health questionnaire to fill in there are plenty of seats to wait for your letter to be called. While you are waiting you can see Azura and read the free magazines that the port provide.

Once on board you can head up the the buffet restaurant to fill that little hole you did not know you had

Nearly all food on Azura is free apart from Seventeen, Sindu and a few items on the Venora menu.

Bar drinks are pub prices in the UK with no service charge.

if you want any specific information please ask

This is from a post I did a couple of weeks ago for someone else asking about the Transatlantic and the weather across.

I have been on Azura a few times so any questions please ask.

We did the 3 week Transatlantic on Ventura last Nov, first time on a transatlantic and we loved it so much we have booked a transatlantic for this Nov.

Here is a brief over view of what weather/conditions we experienced last year (I write a diary)

First day after leaving Southampton we were off the Brest peninsular, weather scattered clouds 10 degrees ok for a bracing walk on deck!

Day 2 Off the coast off Northern Spain went across BOB without realising during the night, weather scattered clouds and sun 13 degrees ships course will take us down the coast of Portugal today (Our first port on this cruise was Madeira)

Day 3 South of Lisbon heading southwest 1000 miles from Southampton now. 11am the sun is trying to shine it is a 'balmy' 17.1 degrees now the Oasis pool is filled dare I go for a swim?

Day 4 Funchal today weather fine rain and showers but 20 degrees, now have shorts on although a waterproof jacket to!

Day 5 2700 miles to Tortola! weather 18 degrees broken clouds and showers still travelling more westerly than south at the moment so not level with the Canary Islands yet so expecting it to get warmer once we turn more southerly.

Day 6 Getting much warmer now nearly 21 degrees at 11am and sunny

Days 7-10 Hot 27-30 degrees and sunny most of the time, balcony too hot to sit for long....

First port of call Tortola cruised 4059 miles from Southampton, typical Tortola weather heavy showers and sun but 28 degrees!

We then had two weeks in the Caribbean...

This year there is no 3 week cruise (shame.. ideal length we thought) so have booked a back to back so we are on-board 4 weeks as we feel just the two week crossing not long enough once you reach the Caribbean.

We thoroughly enjoyed the crossing not rough at all (hope its the same this year!) it gave us a chance to unwind and relax

We did the Azura 15 night cruise in 2010.

The weather was so bad that our sailing was delayed until the following morning from Southampton.

We had to skip Tenerife because of bad conditions and instead went to the Azores where we got a day in Ponta Delgada.

The weather was not great but what would you expect in November. A lot of passengers weren't prepared for the cooler temps and had to buy warmer clothes to wear. Never seen so many folk wearing P&O fleece jackets and hoodies! It was funny watching the sunbathers wrapping up in towels on deck. Plenty sunbeds that cruise!

Be careful of that strong sun -it will still burn you even if youre freezing

When you do get to the Caribbean you forget the bad days.

We loved the clocks going back. Much better than losing an hour! We would do it all again if the price was right.

Have a lovely cruise - make the most of every day:)

Caryl

Archived