Can you dress less formally on a Hawaiian cruise?

I will be going on a Hawaiian cruise next year on Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas. I have been on Caribbean cruises where the dining room dress code is less formal than on other cruises. How about Hawaii? Can you get away with sundresses on dressy nights?

I have never been on a Royal Caribbean cruise, so I am not sure how formal they are compared to other cruise lines. So if anyone can clue me in on this, too, I would appreciate it!

Unless your cruise specifically states there are no formal nights, or formal night is optional, pretty much all cruises are just as formal as the next. Some people may argue that Celebrity is more formal than Carnival, but I have not found that to be the case. Every ship I've been on has formal nights and most people dress up. Carnival may just, perhaps, attract more a few more that buck the request to dress than Carnival, but a majority will be dressed to "code" (don't care for that term). I've just mentioned 2 cruise lines that I have been on, you can insert any cruise line names you wish. I don't write this to begin any argument, that has already been accomplished on numerous threads.;)

That said, Hawaii itself is a very casual state, men are dressed up if they have long pants and a collared shirt, women dress in beautiful Hawaiian prints. So, if you can find a very dressy Hawaiian print long dress, it would be perfectly appropriate. Since this is a Hawaiian cruise, sundresses would be great for all the casual nights.

As a matter of fact, sundresses are what I like to wear while on shore on any Hawaiian island. The weather can be quite humid, depending on the time of year, and dresses are far more comfortable than shorts.

One of my favorite things about Hawaii is the Aloha spirit, which is all about loving your fellow man, being happy and having a stress free life. I hope you have the opportunity to experience the aloha spirit and bring some home with you. In other words, don't stress too much over the clothes you wear to Hawaii and have a marvelous cruise!

Thank you, Happy ks! That was a very sweet and thoughtful reply. No stress! I'm looking forward to a great Hawaiian vacation. Now, If I could just figure out what size I'll be in 2006... my weight's been going up and down lately. Of course, muumuus fit a good range of sizes.

Thank you, thank you! I just booked a cruise to Hawaii, also on RCI, for next September, and I was wondering just this same thing.

I have a hand-dyed floorlength kaftan I bought in St. Kitts at the batik fasctory way up in the mountains. It's a gorgeous turquoise print, and the last time I wore it on a Caribbean cruise on CARIBBEAN night in the dining room, I got some funny looks.

I wonder if it would be OK on the Hawaii cruise?

If you love your caftan and feel good in it, by all means wear it in Hawaii (or on a Hawaiian cruise). I don't worry about "funny looks" from people if I like what I'm wearing. I even think sometimes a person can misread those looks, as I'm one to admire something different from what others are wearing. To be unique is a beautiful thing.

One of my favorite clothing items is a beautiful batik print pareo from Bali. Over the batik is a handpainted picture of a woman sitting on the beach. I always make sure I drape the pareo so that you can clearly see her. It's wonderful to have a one-of-a-kind piece of wearable art!

Thanks; I think I'll add it to the packing list when I put it together next year. Hope I remember!!

It is unique, and the mixed turquoise look very nice with my blue eyes. I also have a London Blue topaz pendant and stud earrings that match the colors.

Archived