Alaska on Norwegian Jewel 6/15-6/22

clelbonv

Wow - I cant thank you enough for this extensive review! We are sailing on the Jewel this Saturday, our second cruise. Our first was to the Caribbean. You have provided soooo much information that is exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you, again, for taking the time to post this! Much, much appreciated!!

Congratulations to your parents on winning the cruise! I would have screamed too! :)

We also had Jean Pierre and Brenda Kaye on the Jewel last year and loved their shows. Especially Brenda's adult show - absolutely hilarious!!

Thank you! I still can't believe my mom won. My sister said she kept looking at her certificate on the plane ride home.

Brenda said she had been on the cruise for a month straight and she was leaving the ship after our cruise. I wonder who is there now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

I am going on the Pearl in two weeks (!!), and am enjoying your review of the Jewel. I am picturing a similar experience for my cruise!

Hope I win the raffle :)

Please share your opinions when you return! I had a hard time deciding between the pearl and jewel but I think jewel was the one that had offered the nickelodeon shows. Alaska is truly beautiful and unique. Enjoy this amazing state!

Wow - I cant thank you enough for this extensive review! We are sailing on the Jewel this Saturday, our second cruise. Our first was to the Caribbean. You have provided soooo much information that is exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you, again, for taking the time to post this! Much, much appreciated!!

Thank you. I'm glad I can help!

My family will be going to Alaska aboard the Jewel in less than two weeks, so I found your review to be really helpful. I've been pretty excited about the food, so I couldn't help but be a little disappointed after reading your review. I'm crossing my fingers there will be sushi aboard!

Anyway, I read on the NCL site yesterday that at each port, guests will disembark two hours after docking and are expected to be back on board two hours before departing. We arrive in Juneau at 7 a.m. and depart at 1:30 p.m, but with the two hour buffer, we're really only in town from 9-11:30. We had planned on renting a car and going to see the Mendenhall Glacier and a playground (for our 19-month-old son) that day, but I don't know if that's really doable in two hours. Plus, after reading your review, it sounds like we should eat something before hopping back the ship - or risk facing crowds at the restaurants on board.

My question to you is - do they really let you off two hours after docking and expect you back two hours before boarding? Or is there some leeway there?

Thanks!

The sushi is extra. We didn't try it but it looked like there were people there every night. There was no sushi on the mdr menus or buffet :(

You will have at least 8-1 in Juneau granted you wake up, eat breakfast and leave the ship by 8. There is a shuttle bus that takes you into town and back to the ship in Juneau. Sometimes these lines can get long. I would add another 15 minutes to your travel time both ways.

Your little one would love beacon hill park in Victoria. There's a small zoo, goat petting area, and across from the zoo past a small lake, there's a really nice playground and it's all free!

Did you hear the bagpipes during Tracy Arm? Amazing Grace brought tears to my eyes and my husbands.

My husband met the bagpipe player the next day in the cigar lounge, he was from Australia.

No unfortunately I didn't. We were back in our rooms by 5 and a lot of people are singing on the balcony but no bagpipes!

Do you know how much the spa pass was? We are going end of july. Also does anyone know if they upgraded the tvs recently because we went on the jewel for thanksgiving. it was a regular small tv not flat.

It was $149 per person. My sister was in an Oceanview cabin on the 5th floor and had a smaller tv, not flat screen. Ours was flat screen but the quality was not that great.

Archived