John Bull - Submarine Museum Portsmouth?

Hoping you can help us.

We have been to the Naval Museum in Portsmouth and really enjoyed it. We will be spending a day and half in Portsmouth.

Is the Submarine Museum worth going to?

I have read you can take a water taxi from Portsmouth to it? Cost?

We will have a car, is it better water taxi or driving to it?

Hi,

The Submarine Museum (HMS Alliance) is at Gosport, on the opposite side of Portsmouth Harbour entrance. The "Explosions" munitions museum is also on the Gosport side, about a mile from the Submarine Museum.

I'd never heard of the water bus, which is a new feature & links Portsmouth with the Submarine museum and Explosions museum. But here's the timetable/tariff (from the Explosions website):

http://www.explosion.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=168&Itemid=232

Only runs weekends & during school holidays, but sounds an easy & fun way to get there.

The more conventional route is using the Gosport Ferry (foot-passengers only) across the harbour entrance. Leaves from The Hard travel interchange, between the historic dockyard & Gunwharf Quays - same place as buses, IoW fast-cats, & Portsmouth harbour rail station. Runs every 15 mins or so but often interrupted for a short while when ships enter or leave, costs about £3 return.

http://www.gosportferry.co.uk/

There's probably a suitable bus service from the ferry to the Submarine, there's certainly a taxi rank, or in decent weather it's an attractive & easy walk along the harbourside ( turn left off the ferry) & over Haslar bridge, something over half a mile.

If you tie-in your visit with a journey to or from Southampton, driving via Gosport can possibly make sense, but for Portsmouth-Submarine Museum-Portsmouth the 28 mile round-trip is a poor option.

Years since I've been there, but have visited it several times & always found it interesting. Centrepiece is HMS Alliance, of WW2 design, I was reminded of it when I went aboard HMS Pampanito in San Francisco a few months back. But plenty of other exhibits too. And yes, it'd be worth your time.

JB :)

i would use the water taxi service,the busses are few and far between

Taxis are plentiful at the ferry terminal you would have to make a booking to get back or take a phone number

Its a nice day out visting both explosion and the submarine museum (we go when its reduced rates for residents ) :):D never done the water taxi tho

The Mary Rose is now open after being closed for a number off years

• 3 weeks later...
Hoping you can help us.

We have been to the Naval Museum in Portsmouth and really enjoyed it. We will be spending a day and half in Portsmouth.

Is the Submarine Museum worth going to?

I have read you can take a water taxi from Portsmouth to it? Cost?

We will have a car, is it better water taxi or driving to it?

We stayed in Portsmouth recently. The water taxi runs from Gunwharf Quays. We went to Explosion the naval firepower museum by water taxi then caught the water taxi to the Submarine museum then back to Gunwharf Quays.

We left the car parked. Portsmouth can have parking problems. If you have a spot and are staying for 2 1/2 days keep your spot.

Selswick

Archived