Micky Arison vs Richard Fain

HCE

When I heard the news about Arison yesterday, my jaw dropped, although I can't say it wasn't good news, after his seeming indifference to the company's various PR disasters lately.

Apparently, the stockholders agree. :)

But the founder's son abandoning ship?... (Someone else mentioned Devils on the Deep Blue Sea -- read it if you're interested in how Ted Arison split the sheets with Knut Kloster at NCL to form Carnival. If the story's true at all, Arison was a real piece of work.)

I'm not too familiar with Rick Fain, but I think Adam Goldstein at RCI is the poster boy for what a cruise line president should be. I remember watching him sit through an interview (on Oprah, perhaps?) with that hardly-grieving bride/widow, Jennifer Hagel-Smith, after George Smith disappeared from Brilliance, and handling her with just the right amount of respect, yet firmness, refusing to be put on the defensive.

And then after the Grandeur fire, appearing on-site almost immediately. The guy seems to totally get his role, not to mention having innate class.

Arnold Donald should aspire to be a similar type of leader.

Richard Fain also sat through numerous interviews about the missing honeymooner on tabloid shows. Bot Execs. handled it very well.

Archived