Possible for non-passengers to take tours?

JohnEZ

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if Cunard ever opened the QM2 or QE2 up to the public so they may tour these magnificent vessels. My last New York trip was based around QM2 (although I am not a passenger) and I would be more than willing to center another trip to the city around the QM2 if I knew it was possible to tour her.

If Cunard doesn't do this, would they arrange a private tour, do you suppose? And if so, who would I contact?

Do forgive me if this is a dumb question; I am rather young... mid teens... and my dream is to be a naval architect. I have followed QM2 ever since her first voyage to Florida, which was televised on Good Morning America.

Forgive the trivial nature of this question... I was just wondering.

Thanks,

John

I am quite certain that tours of the QM2 are not available. It used to be that if you were a passenger in transit (not getting off the ship at the time you wanted a guest to come on board) you could apply days ahead with all sorts of identity info and a pass would be issued for a guest of a passenger in transit. This doesn't happen anymore. The only people who get on are travel agent types, and this is all arranged in advance, with groups being shown around by ships personnel.

JohnEZ .. since I do not know where you live . but realize your age .. why not consider a short trip on the Queen as a passenger?? There in a July 4th short 3 day cruise (tho a bit late to book now for THIS year .. maybe next) and also a 4 day West Coast cruise 2/22/06. The cheapest cabins on this west coast trip list at $709 per pax on the Cunard site.

Being a guest onboard would give you a FAR better opportunity .. at a decent price!

Visits to Cunarders are quite rare, but not impossible.

I believe the first (semi-)publicly-available visit to QM2 ever will be on 17 July. It is organised by the Steamship Historical Society of America's Long Island Chapter (which, despite the name, is the local chapter for the entire NY area) of which I a member. I have not been on QM2 yet and will be attending (and of course will post my impressions here on my return).

The fact that it has taken the SSHSA over a year to get a visit QM2 should indicate how difficult it is to get a visit to one of the QUEENs. Ship visits are never easy to arrange, and the person in charge of arranging these for a UK ship enthusiasts' organisation once confided to me that while it may be difficult with other lines, with Cunard it is virtually impossible. (I do not think his organisation has gotten a visit yet.)

As for a private visit - perhaps if you're a celebrity, a member of the press, the CEO of another cruise line, or you know someone who is a "big name" at Carnival or P&O Princess really, really well (e.g., they're your spouse ;) ) you have a chance... But otherwise I expect you would be politely brushed off.

While not a 'sure thing' .. and not quite related to the poster hopes for naval design career ... there is CLIA. Cruise Lines International Association www.cruising.org .

This group really are a sub-group of the travel agency world... a friend and I joined it one year when she was booking a large number of church groups on cruises. To become CLIA 'certified' you need to take classes (read books) but also take cruise. I think there are also 'inspection tours' arranged from CLIA when numerous ships are in one port .. so membership can get 'points' for touring the ship as well. I think the cruise line will show the ship and give them a 'sample lunch' on turn-around days.

This may be a cheaper method than taking a short cruise as I previously suggested. LOVE the SSHSA idea tho!

You MAY also try working for a cruise travel agency as outside sales or even 'grunt' in the office during school. It will give you that inside access.. and then the CLIA may come with the job.

For example, did you know that QM2 has DC10 airplane engines inside the stack for additional immediate power production? And that the nacelle-looking things on the new Princess stacks that look like an airplane engine .. are empty??

Yeah, I was aware of the DC10 turbines :) Wasn't aware that the things on the Drincess stackswere empty though.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Definitely something to consider :)

Yes, I was brushed off before--but then a guy working at the pier said to keep trying, sooner or later, I may get a positive response. I'll just see what happens :)

Thanks again,

John

QM2's gas turbines are related to, but not the same as those in a DC-10.

They are GE LM2500 units, based off military GE TF39 gas turbines... Off which the CF6 (the GE power option for the DC-10, MD-11, 747, 767, A300, A310, A330) was also based.

The "nacelles" on the Princess funnels only appear on the ships that have gas turbines, but as JGR01 pointed out, they are for decoration and are perfectly useless. However, I believe the "mesh" funnels on the Princess ships do house their gas turbines, on the ships that have them.

Going back to the topic of visits - if you really want to visit QM2, and there is any way you can be in NYC on 17 July, I'd suggest you try to get on that visit (let me know if you would you like me to send you info on this)... As it may be your only chance for a long time.

Doug,

Thank you very much for offering more information. Though it is not something I can guarantee, I would be most appreciative of more information. :)

If my email address is not readily available for whatever reason, please let me know.

Thank you very much,

John

If you know anyone sailing on a Radisson ship you could get invited to visit and have lunch. Radisson is the only company which currenly allows guests on board.

This is interesting.

It also appears that Crystal has a visitor policy that would allow one to invite visitors aboard a Crystal ship.

It is worth noting that organized ship visits by various groups do occur... Mostly travel agents and members of the press.

Visits by organisations like the SSHSA LI Chapter and the WSS PoNY Branch are not rare either, though on Cunard they are. I do not know if similar organisations in other US port cities organise visits or not - for one thing with our history as the world capital of ocean liners, we seem to have a lot more ship enthusiasts here than in most other parts of the US.

I know the Ocean Liner Socity and the Passenger Ship Society in the UK both schedule ship visits fairly frequently.

Perhaps Radisson has started something. Not only are they allowing my friends and family to visit and have lunch on embarkation day in New York, If I give 48 hours notice an approved guest may also visit while the ship is in port. So friends in Bermuda can visit as well.

My aunt has wanted us to visit her on Crystal several yers back, however, I do not think this policy was in effect then - or else she was not aware of it. I sailed on the Radisson Navigator last year and did not realize we could have guests until we boarded and saw all this people with visitor's badges.

Also the South Street Seaport may have visited QM2 as an organization.

Archived