Best alcoholic fruit drinks

donna@donnaanderson.com

I think the Mai Tai's are best even though they aren't really a Hawaiian drink. The Mai Tai was invented at Trader Vic's years ago in Oakland, CA. To get the original recipe go to http://www.tradervics.com. Follow the original recipe - not the more recent one that uses a mix - yuk. The only place I know of in Hawaii that serves the original Trader Vic's recipe is Mama's Fish House on Maui. It tastes so different from the standard Mai Tai. BTW, the only fruit juice in a "real" Mai tai is lime juice.

My husband also likes the Lava Flow but I think that's almost like a dessert.

A lava flow!! I gain five pounds in Hawaii every time I go. The ones at the Ritz are the best that I've had. I am sure there are alot of places that make good ones, but the ones at that hotel were the best I have tasted so far. :p

A lava flow!! I gain five pounds in Hawaii every time I go. The ones at the Ritz are the best that I've had. I am sure there are alot of places that make good ones, but the ones at that hotel were the best I have tasted so far. :p

We have Lava Flows when we go out (if we can afford a drink! :D) but Blue Hawaiians are popular too....I dont like them much though.

(This is beachchick)

I like a well made Mai Tai (original recipe, even though it didn't originate in Hawaii). We went to Mama's Fish House for dinner this trip (finally)--the Mai Tais (and the food) lived up to the "hype." It was one of the best meals we've ever had anywhere--perfectly presented, perfectly prepared, perfectly fresh ingredients, outstanding service, great location...and yes, the price for dinner/drinks did reflect that. However, even my sceptical DH was won over by the quality.

Anyway, back to Mai Tais. Although many places in Hawaii incorporate pineapple juice (not at all part of a "real" Mai Tai), I actually do enjoy those as well as the original recipe. Caveat: The rums used must be top shelf. I can't stand "cheap" rum (or any other "cheap" alcohol)--life's not just too short to drink bad wine, it's also too short to drink cheap liquor. Many places on Maui are using the "home grown" Hana Bay rum. Very tasty, IMO. Much better than Meyers, which I do not like at all. Only a few places had Goslings black rum (my favorite for a float), but most had really good quality available. Be sure you ask what brand is the well brand. It pays to upgrade if necessary.

Other favorites are bar/restaurant specialties. Look at the drink menu and see if they have something that sounds good...variety is fun. I had something (can't remember the name or where; it might have been Lahaina Fish Company) that had pineapple juice, cranberry juice, citron vodka (I asked for Grey Goose), and lime. It sounded a bit unusual, but was outrageously good. So, check out the specials.

Have at least one Lava Flow, just for fun. As mentioned, they are very sweet. A well made Blue Hawaii is good (my sister and I independently arrived at the same drink motto: if it's blue, it must be good. lol.) Other than that, my advice stands to experiment with the specialties.

Have a great time and aloha. (I miss the islands already and we've been back on the mainland less than a week...sigh.)

beachchick

BTW: Haven't had a free airline Mai Tai for a long time. Only first class gets them. Try this though if you're not in first class and want to get in the mood on the way there: Ask for pineapple juice, orange juice, club soda, and a glass of ice (all free); buy one mini bottle of rum. In equal parts, mix the juices and soda into the ice and add some rum; stir and enjoy. Oh yeah, ask for a pineapple/cherry spear to make the glass look nice and tropical.

What is a Lava Flow. I like Blue Hawaiian's, Maimi Vice, MiaTia, and Pina Colada's too.

A Lava Flow is essentially a pina colada with strawberry syrup drizzled around the inside of the glass before the pina colada is poured in. It gives the effect of lava flowing on the inside of the glass. Some places use a thin syrup with fresh strawberries and some places use that heavy sundae topping you will find at an ice cream parlour. The topping sticks to the glass better.

The Lava Flow is very sweet and not a good drink to have before a meal since it fills you up. It works well late afternoon, by the pool. Another thought on the Mai Tai - I think the real key is not only a good rum but an old Jamaican rum - try to get 17 year-old if possible. It makes a major difference. We like Appleton Estate Extra.

Archived