Hotel Information for Land Vacation

twinkletoes4445

We want to plan a getaway before the kid’s head back to college. We are in agreement that we want to spend a week in GC, but we really don’t know where to stay. Originally, we thought we’d stay at one of the condo-type places, but now we are leaning toward a hotel (it will make finding a meal easier for the kids while they are at the hotel and we are somewhere else on the island). I know that our kids do not want to go sightseeing with us, but would rather hang around on the beach.

I know we want to stay on 7-Mile beach. The most important thing is the hotel (with different restaurants on-site), then the beach, access to water sports (parasailing, wave runners, etc.) and then the pool at the hotel. Has anyone stayed at the Hyatt?

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know July-Aug. is tricky what with the weather and all, but we already have plans for a winter vacation, so July-Aug it will have to be. Are all the hotels open? I’ve not read much on how the island is doing since the hurricane last year.

I’d appreciate any help…. :)

No, all the hotels are not open, but there are several choices depending on your needs and budget. Luxury, Westin is fully operational, right on a beautiful beach with several restaurants. Hyatt is open only on the beach side and is usually a bit cheaper than Westin. Not all restaurants open, but very nice. More mid-range is the Marriott, some rooms operational, narrower beach. Comfort Suites offers nice accommodations on the beach side of the road, but inland from the beach (with access), limited food but near several restaurants. Courtyard by Marriott is a clean modern hotel across the road from a nice beach with snorkelling (not just sand), moderate eating choices. I am sure all can arrange water sports. Hope this helps.

No, all the hotels are not open, but there are several choices depending on your needs and budget. Luxury, Westin is fully operational, right on a beautiful beach with several restaurants. Hyatt is open only on the beach side and is usually a bit cheaper than Westin. Not all restaurants open, but very nice. More mid-range is the Marriott, some rooms operational, narrower beach. Comfort Suites offers nice accommodations on the beach side of the road, but inland from the beach (with access), limited food but near several restaurants. Courtyard by Marriott is a clean modern hotel across the road from a nice beach with snorkelling (not just sand), moderate eating choices. I am sure all can arrange water sports. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for the information! All your suggestions certainly give me a place to start. I think having a beach right outside where we are staying, is the #1 priority. :)

I've stayed at the Marriott and the rooms are nice, but there was NO beach when we were there. Since Ivan came through last year, they have some beach, but its very narrow. I loved the Hyatt -- the suites are open (ocean side) and the beach at the Westin was very nice also.

If you go down to the Courtyard, it is good, with some restaurants within walking distance, I think.

My choice would be the Hyatt. Should be able to get decent rates, since they really need people to come visit!

HTH

June

I've stayed at the Marriott and the rooms are nice, but there was NO beach when we were there. Since Ivan came through last year, they have some beach, but its very narrow. I loved the Hyatt -- the suites are open (ocean side) and the beach at the Westin was very nice also.

If you go down to the Courtyard, it is good, with some restaurants within walking distance, I think.

My choice would be the Hyatt. Should be able to get decent rates, since they really need people to come visit!

HTH

June

Thanks for the information. The beach is the most important thing for the kids, so I'll check out the Hyatt. Thanks! :)

My wife and I stayed at the Westin for our honeymoon 2 years ago and really enjoyed our whole experience there (we were there for 11 days). The beach was REALLY nice and not that crowded at all and was much larger than the Hyatt's beach. The pool area was also very nice and quite large. The Westin is a bit on the pricey side, but I'd say you get the extra stuff for that couple extra bucks! Here is a link to a previous thread in which someone asked to compare the Hyatt to the Westin and I posted some pictures of the Westin beach and pool area in that thread! Hope they help and if you have questions, feel free to ask!

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=184304

My wife and I stayed at the Westin for our honeymoon 2 years ago and really enjoyed our whole experience there (we were there for 11 days). The beach was REALLY nice and not that crowded at all and was much larger than the Hyatt's beach. The pool area was also very nice and quite large. The Westin is a bit on the pricey side, but I'd say you get the extra stuff for that couple extra bucks! Here is a link to a previous thread in which someone asked to compare the Hyatt to the Westin and I posted some pictures of the Westin beach and pool area in that thread! Hope they help and if you have questions, feel free to ask!

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=184304

Thanks so much! Those are GREAT pictures... :)

What I am wondering is what shape the beach is in since the hurricane went through. I am also wondering how much building activity is going on. I read somewhere that there are lots of crews there, and they start early and make a lot of noise (which I understand). I'm just trying to figure out a place to stay that might be away from all the noise.

Everything looked fine when we drove by the Westin on our tour last week, but I can't be 100% sure of that! The only building that seemed to be going on was the Ritz Carlton a few hotels down. If that is indeed the only building going on, we could not hear it when we stayed and our room faced that direction!

Everything looked fine when we drove by the Westin on our tour last week, but I can't be 100% sure of that! The only building that seemed to be going on was the Ritz Carlton a few hotels down. If that is indeed the only building going on, we could not hear it when we stayed and our room faced that direction!

I would imagine we won't be in our room that much, but it's good to know you didn't hear much. When we make reservations, I'll make sure and ask what's going on around them, and request we be off on the other side (if possible). :)

A really great site is here. Rates the snorkeling in front of each property, etc., plus they have up-to-date Ivan info.

I know you said you would like a hotel, but we've stayed at the Treasure Island condos twice and its a a great property. Snorkeling right out front, two pools, swim up bar. The last time we were there, there was a restaurant at the front of the property, and there are a bunch of restaurants within walking distance.

A really great site is here. Rates the snorkeling in front of each property, etc., plus they have up-to-date Ivan info.

I know you said you would like a hotel, but we've stayed at the Treasure Island condos twice and its a a great property. Snorkeling right out front, two pools, swim up bar. The last time we were there, there was a restaurant at the front of the property, and there are a bunch of restaurants within walking distance.

That place looks really nice. We may have to re-think our plans. We do get tired of eating out (all meals). Thanks!

Archived