Lord Sheffield vs. America's Cup racing in St. Maarten

holidayathesea

I've only been on the America's Cup, which is an experience for just about anyone even a little interested in boats! You can do as much or little as you want; I was a grinder which is a little work, but my wife was the bartender and another person was the timekeeper. There's something for everyone---even those of us near or into our 60's!

Holiday -- you might want to check the Ports of Call forum and look at St. Maarten. There's lots of info there about both of these; in fact, I had posted a question a few months ago asking about a comparison of the Lord Sheffield and the Golden Eagle catamaran. (I think we're leaning towards Lord Sheffield at the moment.)

We did the America's Cup races last April and it was a blast. I was the timekeeper (easy job, as soon as you cross the starting line, your job is over and you can just enjoy the race), my husband (websailor) was a main grinder.

My 80 year old mother in law, on an oposing boat, was their team captain. They normally keep families together but since MIL was making such a fuss, we found it to be fun to race against my MIL and SIL, and we beat them.

Here is their website:

http://www.12metrechallenge.com/

I've done both. They are two completely different excursions. The America's Cup is much more active (if you want it to be) and if you are "working," it's a lot of work but fun. Lord Sheffield is a very laid back, relaxed day of sailing and somebody else doing all the work.

Archived