In cabin coffee

silver service

Anyone take a travel kettle with them, as none provided on cunard?

Frowned on by Cunard but I think many Brits do.

Some will tell you that a kettle in your baggage will be "confiscated" but we have never found this to happen.

David.

Anyone take a travel kettle with them, as none provided on cunard?
I wouldn't. Just more clutter in the room; kettle, cups, milk, sugar, teaspoon, tea bags, mess...

There is free room service, either booked in advance, or a 'phone call when you feel like a cuppa.

Plus the Kings Court/Lido serving 24 hours a day, means you get out of your cabin and meet people.

I get up really early every morning, make a circuit or two of the promenade at a gentle pace (no jogging), and then nip indoors for coffee... great way to greet the day, and I find, while the buffet is quiet, that I make many friends along the way ...

Or do as my parents did, collect a mug of tea/coffee and take it to your cabin.

Hope this helps :) .

I wouldn't. Just more clutter in the room; kettle, cups, milk, sugar, teaspoon, tea bags, mess...

There is free room service, either booked in advance, or a 'phone call when you feel like a cuppa.

Plus the Kings Court/Lido serving 24 hours a day, means you get out of your cabin and meet people.

I get up really early every morning, make a circuit or two of the promenade at a gentle pace (no jogging), and then nip indoors for coffee... great way to greet the day, and I find, while the buffet is quiet, that I make many friends along the way ...

Or do as my parents did, collect a mug of tea/coffee and take it to your cabin.

Hope this helps :) .

Good advice. The tea, coffee, cups and spoons etc would take up a bit of room; both in the room and in the suitcase.

I wonder if anyone goes further than having a tea urn in their room? What about toasters and sandwich-makers, does anyone bring them on board too?

I like my early morning 'cuppa' and missed the in-cabin tea making facilities initially. Cunard's system is to provide free cabin service so I now make sure we use it. Tea for two ordered every morning for 7.15am (which is fine by us) sometimes add cornflakes etc after a day or two when the silver service breakfasts have worn off. We also use the cabin service at other times if we cannot be bothered to go up to the Lido but of course all that must fit around afternoon tea in the Queens Room ;) Regards G

Good advice. The tea, coffee, cups and spoons etc would take up a bit of room; both in the room and in the suitcase.

I wonder if anyone goes further than having a tea urn in their room? What about toasters and sandwich-makers, does anyone bring them on board too?

Perhaps a water filter as well to purify the water for the coffee. Or perhaps a couple of 15 litre bottles of spring water to bypass filtering altogether.

To ensure the coffee is pure, it's best to bring a small plot of soil with coffee beans growing. You might also want to book an extra stateroom for the coffee bean picker to stay in. This will ensure that your morning coffee is both pure and fresh. You really don't want the risk of stale coffee overshadowing your holiday.

I also highly recommend bringing a cow along to provide fresh milk. Again, you might like to book an additional stateroom. You could force the coffee picker to share the room, but I think if you are going to this kind of effort, an additional room is money well spent. Best to ensure a balcony stateroom so the cow has fresh air to breath, thus ensuring the milk it produces is of the highest standard. It's okay to give the coffee picker an inside stateroom, but if you want the best from your employee I highly recommend another balcony stateroom.

Finally, while this last one is obviously meant to be in jest, I also recommend packing your own kiln and clay supplies should you accidentally chip your favourite coffee mug. This will ensure that you can fire up a new one and avoid having to use the inferior Wedgewood china provided on board.

I hope this helps :)

Perhaps a water filter as well to purify the water for the coffee. Or perhaps a couple of 15 litre bottles of spring water to bypass filtering altogether.

To ensure the coffee is pure, it's best to bring a small plot of soil with coffee beans growing. You might also want to book an extra stateroom for the coffee bean picker to stay in. This will ensure that your morning coffee is both pure and fresh. You really don't want the risk of stale coffee overshadowing your holiday.

I also highly recommend bringing a cow along to provide fresh milk. Again, you might like to book an additional stateroom. You could force the coffee picker to share the room, but I think if you are going to this kind of effort, an additional room is money well spent. Best to ensure a balcony stateroom so the cow has fresh air to breath, thus ensuring the milk it produces is of the highest standard. It's okay to give the coffee picker an inside stateroom, but if you want the best from your employee I highly recommend another balcony stateroom.

Finally, while this last one is obviously meant to be in jest, I also recommend packing your own kiln and clay supplies should you accidentally chip your favourite coffee mug. This will ensure that you can fire up a new one and avoid having to use the inferior Wedgewood china provided on board.

Whilst all of these appear reasonable for a decent cuppa, the dangers of unpasteurised milk surely necessitate a small plant works to deal with this issue - nothing too big, if you book a Q1 in addition to your other cabins you should be able to fit the necessary equipment in there (the staff with the required qualifications should be able to fit into the bedroom so no need to book additional rooms for them)

Would it be OK to put the coffee roaster on the balcony? These things produce a lot of smoke*.

Or will there be special access to an area of the funnel set-aside for roasting coffee beans?

And for tea-drinkers, the nets slung across the deck 8 pool will allow the tea to dry in the sun. With all that sea air, lapsang-souchong would be easy.

(*someone I know demonstrated a coffee "home-roaster" in an office... and managed to evacuate ten floors of Canary Wharf Tower when the smoke-detectors went off... :eek: )

Would it be OK to put the coffee roaster on the balcony? These things produce a lot of smoke*.

Or will there be special access to an area of the funnel set-aside for roasting coffee beans?

And for tea-drinkers, the nets slung across the deck 8 pool will allow the tea to dry in the sun. With all that sea air, lapsang-souchong would be easy.

(*someone I know demonstrated a coffee "home-roaster" in an office... and managed to evacuate ten floors of Canary Wharf Tower when the smoke-detectors went off... :eek: )

This is clearly the intent behind Cunard's decision to allow smoking on balconies, all now becomes clear; Unless of course you occupy the adjacent cabin and then your vision might be obscured.

Not being a coffee or tea drinker, I don't know if my suggestion would work or if it would be shot down as unthinkable!

If you really want to be independent of room service, why not a high-standard thermos? Make up your tea or coffee at the times you are in the Lido or King's Court, and then leave it in your room for when you want it. If you end up throwing it out, okay. If you use it, it's a plus.

Not being a coffee or tea drinker, I don't know if my suggestion would work or if it would be shot down as unthinkable!

If you really want to be independent of room service, why not a high-standard thermos? Make up your tea or coffee at the times you are in the Lido or King's Court, and then leave it in your room for when you want it. If you end up throwing it out, okay. If you use it, it's a plus.

II personally feel my way is far more practical. Please see above :)

Surely an oxymoron!

Brilliant, comedy gold. I love it!!

I'm sure that your suggestions are exactly what's needed for those that find the room service tea to be subpar.

In addition to the room-service tea, the on board toast has also come in for a bit of a hiding in recent times. Perhaps Cunard should investigate setting aside adequate deck space for toast connoisseurs to grow organic wheat? An industrial bakery (with state-of-the-art slicing equipment) will also be required, however a connecting stateroom would fulfil that brief quite easily. :)

Perhaps Cunard should investigate setting aside adequate deck space for toast connoisseurs to grow organic wheat? An industrial bakery (with state-of-the-art slicing equipment) will also be required:)

I'm not too happy that top quality wheat should then be subjected to any "industrial" processes. Surely hand grown should be harvested by hand, and the resultant bread cut with flint knives or similar. Granted, the staffing levels are going up a bit, but a skilled flint knapper should be relatively easy to find?

I'm not too happy that top quality wheat should then be subjected to any "industrial" processes. Surely hand grown should be harvested by hand, and the resultant bread cut with flint knives or similar. Granted, the staffing levels are going up a bit, but a skilled flint knapper should be relatively easy to find?

It's not going to happen I'm afraid. The growing number of Gluten Intolerant passengers will use their lobbying powers to scotch the plans. :)

I really don't like American coffee that is served on board Cunard ships.too weak I prefer the Italian expresso,or Cappuccino. I don't know if this is avail for AM room service or served in The dinning room at breakfast?

It's not going to happen I'm afraid. The growing number of Gluten Intolerant passengers will use their lobbying powers to scotch the plans. :)

I am very happy for you to have all of these things as long as you set aside an area for paddy fields to grow the rice for my rice milk.

True, the G.I lobbyists would cause their usual mischief, but appealing to the organic lobby with hand cut wheat and bread baked by artisanal bakers would surely swing the numbers in our favour.

Truly, it's a sad state of affairs when passengers are forced to bring cows and artisinal bakers on board just to get a nice cup of tea and a thick slice of toast. :D

I am very happy for you to have all of these things as long as you set aside an area for paddy fields to grow the rice for my rice milk.

You can use Churchill's, it's not needed anymore because "apparently" all the smoking on board is done in my suite. ;)

The tea, coffee, cups and spoons etc would take up a bit of room; both in the room and in the suitcase.

Why on earth would you take all those things with you? We take a travel kettle to make tea on the last morning when cabin service isn't available but we don't use our kettle at any other time.

Just remember to get room service to bring you a couple of extra mugs, some extra tea bags and to put the milk from your last tray on the day before you disembark in your fridge and you're set.

Why on earth would you take all those things with you? We take a travel kettle to make tea on the last morning when cabin service isn't available but we don't use our kettle at any other time.

Just remember to get room service to bring you a couple of extra mugs, some extra tea bags and to put the milk from your last tray on the day before you disembark in your fridge and you're set.

That sounds a bit convoluted to me :D

That sounds a bit convoluted to me :D

It does, doesn't it? However, it's the sort of thing we do naturally every day. It's called planning. I'm always horrified when I have to write instructions for what I think is basic and simple. It always looks very complicated when reduced to instructions on paper.

Archived